Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Has TB gone a bit funny again?

edited January 2009 in - Website Problems
Been away a few days and now 'whispers' to/from me in certain threads have disappered and the thank yous have gone back to zero (though the button is still there!)
Is it just me?

Comments

• No - it's all of us!

It was off-line a couple of days ago and the whispers aren't working at the moment.

I'm sure normal service will be resumed shortly...
  • VivViv
    edited January 2009
    No, it's all of us. Were you here when the great vanilla problem was raging? None of us could get into tb at all - just a page about upgrading vanilla software. Look at the thread about that for more of the recent problems and our hopes that Jon is working on them!

Bounced the vanilla thread up to top for you Heather
  • I could just eat a vanilla slice...............................
  • But the thanks button is working.
  • Just to prove that the thanks button is working I've said thank you to Carol - isn't that kinda nice? ;)
  • When you click on Bottom of Page, does it get there faster than before?
  • Well my computer is loading the pages very slowly this evening- so don't know if it's my computer or the system. Anyone else having a problem?
  • Mine are loading at the usual speed - fairly fast.
  • I've just deleted a load of cookies and it has speeded up a bit. It is probably everyone else's slowing it down.
  • Carol, how do you get to the 'cookies' in order to delete them? Also, how do you know what cookies to delete and what to keep?

When Stan finds out there are cookies in his pc he'll drive himself crazy trying to find them as his cup-o-tea goes cold.
  • I think the trouble is that being the world wide web, people wake up at a different time and youngsters in internet cafes around the world try to create mischief by trying to spike the system instead of finding more constructive uses for the computer - commonly known as hacking. They are a dammed nuisance to be honest
  • Marc, you can access your cookies two ways, the one I usually use is:
    Control Panel
    Internet Options
    (then assuming you have an administrator account) on the page that comes up- Internet Properties- choose Browsing History.
    This then gives you another selection, you can either do just the things you want, or can use the delete all button at the bottom (if you click that a little box will appear and you click okay on that and it will go through everything, cookies, history, temp. internet fiiles, saved passwords etc.

Alternatively on your desktop, right click the start button and on the box that comes up click explore all users, then on the list it generates click on your name and choose the option you want, cookies etc, click on that and it will show you a file image and text (clicking an individual item will open it and show what the website page was.
    I you click on the first 'cookie' and holding shift down, click on the last one, then press delete.
    You will find a few at the start that are part of the operating system, and one will not be chucked unless you say yes so read any boxes that come up.
    You then need to do the same with History and other items- so have a look around your system first to familiarise yourself.
  • I just started a whole new thread and was amazed by some of the choices I was offered: as well as the usual "writers break" etc., I could have chosen "banned" and several more. Great fun.
  • I know where the cookies are on my computer.
  • As long as they aren't the sort you could eat...;)
  • OK - I have to be the one to say it... I dunnio where the cookies are on the computer but I know that I have some in a tin ! Shortbread or choc chip(i dont like choc chip but the kids do)
  • I've wondered if it's safe to delete the lot.
  • If you go in via the control panel way then yes it is safe.
    Your favourites list is kept in a different section. But if you want to retain any password info you've set up, then just do the other bits seperately, rather than delete all. :)
  • I've had very few spam emails during the Christmas/New Year period. Does that mean most spammers are on holiday and they always distribute them from the places where they work?
  • edited January 2009
    more likely that people are away, so the computers that have been taken over and are being used remotely, are turned off, so can't send the spam.
  • I wish I could say I have had less spam, one of my accounts had 17 the last time I looked.
  • I got a big surge just before Christmas, but have only had one in a week.
  • marc another way to get rid of the cookies if you want to know is to go to
    Start
    Accessories
    System tools
    Disc Cleanup

all cookies are deletable (not delectable ! :D)
  • Delectable?!