Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

CBBC New Writers

edited June 2009 in - Reading
An opportunity... (came via a literature e-mailing list I'm on)
CBBC New Writers
CBBC are looking for a new generation of writers with fresh perspectives, original voices, and the ability to create unforgettable characters. This opportunity is open to any writer who wants to write drama for the 6-12 age range. More info at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/cbbc_writing_competition.shtml

Comments

• Thanks Carol, this is one I'll definitely enter. Though with only 2 weeks to go I'd better get started... today!
  • Good luck.
  • I am going to have a go too. Never written a script before though!
  • If you browse on the guidelines to the comp there's a link to a sample script that gives you the layout.
  • Me neither and me too... Hmmmm...
  • Hi Help
    I have tried to open a sample of the scripts, but all I get is gobbly gook, can any one open them ? If so can you send me a copy I will send my email if you can

Jennymf
  • Had a look, Lou.
    Don't you have to have a page with a list of characters what they look like etc? Can't see that in the layout.
    Not sure about this now...
  • I can read them send me your email if you like?
  • Kateyanne they may be looking at the writing rather than how you see the character that goes with the text- shouldn't that come over in the writing?
  • what i mean is how they look are dressed etc. I thought that plays usually have a page for that?
  • If you are worried is there an e-mail address you can query.
  • It does sound like fun. Might chance me arm. Make a difference from violence and gore for a night or two lol
  • But would you want to do it as a day job?
  • [quote=kateyanne]what i mean is how they look are dressed etc. I thought that plays usually have a page for that? [/quote]

I've read many scripts in my time and haven't heard this. That's why they have set designers and costume designers.
  • Nope, but could at least see if it scampered through past the first round and then tell them I'm too busy, but they can buy the script for a fiver.
  • Jenny, Katyanne - here is the link to the script layout. Just follow that religiously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/screenplay.pdf
  • edited June 2009
    Done it , many thanks it looks complicated though!!
  • Have started mine - I've decided to adapt an existing book rather than start anything new in this timeframe. It is pretty complicated but I'm loving doing it.
  • Enjoy, and good luck with your submissions.
  • Good luck all...
  • Pondering this...might see if Loz is up for a new collab (considering it says co-written scripts are allowed.)
  • I am half way through.
  • I'm on p27 of 30. Problem is they want it to be fairy self contained even if it is the start of a series so if this doesn't work I'll have to start again with something else...
  • I have 24 pages and finished. Not sure its enough but I'll send it anyway.
    Mine is a tale that would have to be animated as it has talking animals!
  • Gay, is it, Lou?
  • Isn't it about 1 page per minute as a rough guideline?
  • [quote=Carol]Isn't it about 1 page per minute as a rough guideline? [/quote]

That's what I always thought..roughly.
    Was browsing some kids prog scripts, one was 30 pages, one 34 pages...average seems to be between 30 and 35 pages for kids prog.
  • I suppose that can be accounted for by scene shots and so on, with little or no dialogue on the pages.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]fairy self contained [/quote]

I get it now, Jay!!!

It says in the rules that the script should be 30 pages long.

I finished mine, woke up the next morning, scrapped it, have started another one and am now half way through. And breathe!
  • I thought it meant no more than thirty pages not that it had to be thirty pages and no more than thirty minutes.
    Anyway I made mine a bit longer and sent it off.
  • I have finished the first draft and am hoping to get it all done by tomorrow... Good luck everybody. At least we don't have long to wait. The closing date is July 1 and they announce the shortlist on July 10 - see, the slush pile can be got through quickly!
  • Good luck to all who enter.
  • Thanks Carol. And thanks for putting the link on here I would never have entered otherwise its been an interesting exercise so thanks.
  • Echoing what Kateyanne said, certainly wouldn't have attempted entry (although we're still writing ours, should be done by end of week at latest I imagine) if hadn't seen the link on here.

Lou, I can't believe you wrote one, scrapped it and are already almost finished another?? *blinks* I feel useless in comparison.
  • I adapted my existing (unpublished) books so it was more an adaptation, so I can't take any credit for being speedy!

Thanks too, Carol. You have created a whole legion of would-be screenwriters now!
  • Ooops! ;)
  • Quick question for Lou and Kateyanne. What font and size are you using? I can't seem to find the information and just want to make sure that we use the correct (or acceptable) kind.
  • I used size 12, Times new Roman.
  • As long as it is readable at this stage- don't worry.
    I do know generally there is another font that is often used as well, but can't remember which one. I'm sure we've discussed it on TB- last year possibly.
  • Ta guys, was already using Time New Roman 12 but just wanted to check - I have this small knack for worrying :P
  • I've used the same as in the sample script - Courier. I'm sure it doesn't matter though, so long as it's clear. Just doing final amendments today and then I'll get it in the post tomorrow...
  • And the best of luck to all of you.
    A very interesting exercise.
    Maybe I'll think about it again later ...
    ... not now.
    Just trying to get to grips with POETRY formation now.
    Limericks I can do
    Doggerel I can do
    Poetry I cannot do.
  • Awwww ceka. Even I can do poetry. Starting to find a liking for it. 6 months ago, I'd thought I'd be crazy for it.

Even now I just got over my fear of non-rhyming poetry.

Just GO FOR IT.

Break the fear.
  • Well said K.
  • Thanks A.
  • Go with the word flow...:)
  • I got my daughter to post my entry into the letterbox yesterday (with a kiss for good luck) and literally at the moment it went through the slot I had a blinder of an idea for a script. Never mind, will write it anyway and save it for next time, or the normal submissions round!
  • Don't you hate that? We're not even finished yet...I feel sloooow :P

Good luck Lou...and hopefully, we'll get our done and sent off in time.
  • Good luck J - and don't forget to include your registration email!