Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Teach Yourself Creative Writing Home Study Course-Chris Sykes

edited February 2010 in - Reading
Saw my daughter at the weekend and she gave me this for my birthday. It has 10 CDs, work books and a teach yourself book with loads of info about web sites and getting published etc.
I have just done the first CD and exercises and I'm very impressed. I've had teach yourself books before, but this is excellent. Have already got loads of ideas for stories etc. There are 30 hours work to do (covers writing novels, stories, poems, plays)
Has anyone else tried this?

Comments

• I didn't know anyone had put a writing course on CD - sounds like a wonderful idea.
  • Not heard of it before.
  • you can read more about it here

http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9780340974919/Teach_Yourself_Your_Evening_Class_Creative_Writing.htm
  • Looks interesting and good value. I checked and you can also buy it slightly cheaper from Amazon - plus free postage to UK & Ireland.
  • Now on the third CD doing exercises on images and the senses, all very useful, helped me a lot already. I really recommend this folks-and no I don't have shares in this!
  • Ta very much for sharing.
  • You're welcome Paul.
  • I saw this in Borders (God rest its soul) a few times and wondered if it was any good.
    Sounds like it is :D Thanks for the info kateyanne.
  • I do fancy trying something like this but at the moment I know realistically I would not be able to stick to it. I have so much going on and am just so tired I can seem to concerntrate properly. Having said that I have managed to get a bit of writing done this week which is a big surprise.

I have bookmarked it for when we move.
  • That's what made me put it back on the shelf so many times without buying it ginab.

I know if I bought it I would just be transferring it from a shop shelf to my shelves at home. I wouldn't be able to commit enough time to completing it any time soon.

How much time are you spending on it kateyanne?
  • Hello,
    You can spend as little or as much time as you like on it, but now and then after an exercise it says take a break.
    I am spending about two hours a week on it, but I find I'm stopping to carry out more on an exercise as some exercises have given me ideas for poems and I stop to get my thoughts down.