Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Talkback problems

edited June 2010 in - Website Problems
Replacing the older thread, please post here if you have a problem.
To keep this thread clean, we'll delete comments once problems are addressed, so if you want your comment to remain, please start a new thread.

Comments

• Hi its not a problem just a nuisance. When ever I log in to come on site , it opens up where I posted on New Site up . that was ages ago now . Even if I completely log out and re enter with password it still opens up in exactly the same place.
    Can I get it back so that when I open up on the site it starts at the main page ???
  • Hi Jennymf, I'm not sure I quite understand where the site is opening for you, but perhaps try removing any existing bookmarks and replace with either:

http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk
    or http://www.writers-online.co.uk

Hope that helps!
  • :-)

Webbo, my bookmark won't clear. It keeps telling me I have new comments to read but when I check there are none...
  • And whisper takes you to the bottom of the screen - so you can't read the name of the whisperee (dictionary?) and you can't even see 'Enter your comments'.
  • [quote=st force]Webbo, my bookmark won't clear. It keeps telling me I have new comments to read but when I check there are none...[/quote]
    I'm not sure why this would be happening StF. It works fine for me. Have you tried emptying your cookies and cache? Or de- then re-bookmarking?

[quote=Jay Mandal]And whisper takes you to the bottom of the screen[/quote]
    I think this might be something to do with your screen size and setup Jay, but will see if something can be done to "jump to input box" rather than "jump to bottom"
  • [quote=Webbo]I'm not sure why this would be happening StF. It works fine for me. Have you tried emptying your cookies and cache? Or de- then re-bookmarking?[/quote]

I don't think that's the problem Webbo, I access talkback on my home computer, the school computer and my new laptop but it stil tells me I have new posts to read... I tried unbookmarking a thread and re bookmarking it but it still came up with all the comments as new...
  • That's ruled that out then! What threads were they?
  • Well the strange thing is it only affects thread that were made in the last few weeks. For example the last to post is the nicest talkbacker is normal but the more recent ones like good luck in your exams year 12s show all comments are unread.
  • Okay... I'll post to nicest, just to check it's working for you, so you should get 1 New there.
    For the year 12s thread, if a new post is added, does the number go up or is it completely static? What is the number it gives?
  • At the moment the nummber given is 122 new which is how many posts there are in total.

Seen your comment on the nicest thread, one new. I read it, comment and now it's gone like it should do.
  • Think it might have something to do with whispers (which seem to cause trouble wherever they go!) - but not sure whether that would be whispers to you, or whispers not to you.
    Please could you try bookmarking this thread: http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=178956&page=1 and see how that behaves? Then perhaps we'll try adding some new comments there and see what happens
  • I've done a bit of digging on a couple of other threads, and I'm fairly certain it is related to whispers - probably ones between other people. It's not even, unfortunately, just that the "hidden" whispers count as unread, but that they (as always) confuse the system about the general number of threads.
    I'd still be interested to confirm this if poss, if you could try with that other thread I linked?
  • Bookmarked and commented. My bookmark says no new posts on that thread.
  • Okay I've bookmarked and commented on the new thread. The bookmark has now cleared and is showing no new posts. Do you want me to whisper to you?
  • That's narrowed that down then. Wonder if it's new whispers, after you've bookmarked... leave it with me
  • Webbo I think the quotes are broken. I tried to quote somone but I was sent back to all discussions. Oops...
  • Talkback's back online!
  • Was it offline?
  • There were 'fatal error' messages and the like.
  • Webbo, it's been suggested my apostrophe could be causing problems with whispers and quotes. If that's the case, I don't mind if you remove it.
  • Hi ho Webbo,

Just posted this in another thread.
    Thought it might be better however if I put it here as well.
    The first bit is from Jay - he talks about a problem of copying links into posts.
    The second bit is my addition of how my bookmarks are not working propper like.
    Can you help?

(Quote Jay's words)
    Usually you just highlight the webpage to be linked to; then copy & paste it to where you want it to be shown. But, with Talkback webpages, there seems to be a problem - when you press the link, it just takes you to the top of the current thread. But Webbo can explain how to make a Talkback link!

(Quote Gully's words)
    At the same time there is a problem with the sidebar.
    If I'm at the bottom of a thread I click on "Top of Page" to get back up to where I can read the sidebar.
    If I then click on one of my bookmarks the screen just goes shooting off downwards to exactly half-way down the current thread.
    I have to click on the "Discussions" tab and wait for the list to load before I can click on my bookmarks.
    Most annoying.
    Also fairly boring (but that might just be me).
  • answered on the other one too but just in case this helps anyone

The problem is to do with the very last bit of any links ending "#Item_39" or whatever number. For some inexplicable and seemingly unfixable reason, this confuses creaky old Talkback, so it ignores the important information that you want to go to another page and attempts to take you to item #whatever on the page you are currently on.
    So when you highlight the url and paste it in, just make sure you delete the # and anything after it...
    eg this shouldn't work (but probably will now just to make me look stupid)
    http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=179290&page=7#Item_8

but this one will
    http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=179290&page=7

This is actually causing the same problem with your bookmarks. Try any problem bookmarks from (say) the index page, rather than being on a thread, and I expect they will work as expected, but if you on a thread which has an item # that matches the one on your bookmark, it probably won't.
    I think
  • just got this message on the Talkback first birthday thread - thought you might want to look at it, Webbo.
    http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=139912&page=2#Item_22

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
    talkback.writers-online.co.uk contains content from www.delialatham.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
    Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?
    We have already notified www.delialatham.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on www.delialatham.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.
  • Ceka keeps getting a warning when she hits TB - Malware.

What does that mean, should she be worried?
  • Thanks Mutley - it was a dead link, and only an embedded image, so should be nothing to worry about, but I've removed it anyway.
  • Sorry BB, our posts crossed... I think the link Mutley highlighted was causing the problem, so that's gone now. It shouldn't have created any problems for Ceka or anyone else, but may be a day or two before Firefox accepts that we're "safe" again.
  • Webbo, I can never read the posts on this thread until I post a new one - having to post this to see if you have replied to mine earlier - that's not right, surely?
  • You're not wrong, BB.
  • That's a new one BB, and very strange. Sorry about that. It's probably strained the system somehow that there've been so many posts in here that I've removed over the months. (You'd expect it to be able to handle that sort of thing, it being fairly standard behaviour for a forum...)
    Think it's probably best if I just scrap this thread and start another, which I hope will behave normally.
  • Thanks, just had to whisper to myself to read your post - I can see there are posts, but not read them.
  • I seem to have lost the instructions to post a photo on this site. I have Picassa to re-size, and now have a pic on file. I tried to a) copy, b)click paste, c) click paste on the page after a suitable comment, but nowt happens. It would help if we had a simple 'browse' facility like Facebook, and then post to the page.
  • There seems to be a sticky with a similar title.
  • Yes, reminds me of bogie and boogie. I can never work out which is the stickiest one.