Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My cat refuses to accept that the hour has gone back

edited November 2010 in Off-topic
I know there has been a fair amount of coverage in the press about the affect the change of hour has on children, but my cat is doing my head in!!

Every morning without fail - at five to six - he tries sitting on my face and licking my cheeks, banging on the wardrobe doors and the making a sound akin to a seagull falling from the sky. I have tried reasoning with him but he won't have it.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?!

Comments

• Shut your bedroom door. If it scratches at the door, squirt it with water from a pistol and go back to bed. works wonders.

Also, never feed an animal at exactly the same time every day. Obviously fed them, but vary it by an hour either way. that way they don't get fixated.
  • My cats sleep in a basket in the utility room and have a cat flap giving access to the back garden, so they don't wake us up. On the other hand, if breakfast is late they go hunting - the consequences of which are not pretty - so I try to keep them well fed.
  • I have tried explaining to the dogs too, but to no avail. I have shown them which is the big hand and which is the little hand on the clock, but Alfie says whatever the clock says his body says something different. The funny thing is that they have been taking themselves off to bed at night and I have had to go and get them up to take them out to the toilet.
  • Our cat is a nightmare. She rips down wall paper and jumps from bed, to table to floor then back again. If we lock her out she rips up the carpet. Noraml we give up, feed her and go back to bed.
  • They are funny little things aren't they?

Ours sleeps on the corner of the bed. He snores in unison with my OH - at times, they fill in each others gaps so I hear a constant snore! If you shut him out a room he stands on his back legs and bangs on the door. Before we officially adopted him, he would bang so loudly on the front door that the letterbox would rattle. I wouldn't change him though - he will go on jaunts to the country on his harness and when I get home he always runs from his chair to greet me at the front door! He thinks he is a dog.
  • I thought you was talking about a dog! Does he bark?
  • No - but he sits.....for ham ;-)
  • When I was having my cereal this morning, the cat [tuppence] decided she wanted a drink of milk [she never drinks it whenever I put any out for her in a bowl] so she hopped on to the table and helped herself to mine - from my cereal bowl. It is difficult to get angry with cats because they are so amusingly cheeky!
    She loves chicken. She will stand her hind legs by the table and pat you on the arm for a bit.
    She sometimes makes a fuss - gets my attention in anyway she can - to get me up from my chair and lead me to the door and wait for me to open it for her. There is a CATFLAP in the door! She just wants to remind me who is in charge around here!
  • Bless - she obviously thinks you have a different and better type of milk!

They train us well. This one has been on a diet since we adopted him - he was a whopping 9.7 kilos (my mum flew to Birmingham the other week and her case weighed in at less) - we have gradually managed to get his weight down, but his love affair with food will never end! We have to watch him like a hawk.

Disclaimer: he was that weight when we met him, before people accuse me of being a feeder!
  • I work with two Siamese cross kittens/cats who totally dominate the house. One insists on sleeping on my chair in my upstairs office and if my thick cardigan is not in place, she stands up on her back legs and drags it down ... whilst looking at me with daggers for not doing it before she got on there ...
    and eat! both of them can eat like they're starving, so they are limited to half a tub of Sheba each on every feeding occasion. Then they go get on the thick duvet that is Terry's bed and go to sleep ... great life. Cat flaps? Only used when the sound of dishes is heard ... their dishes.
  • edited November 2010
    A friend has sent me a great photo of their new kitten - a tiny black and white girl, little enough to fit right inside a trainer.

My friend is sitting in a chair and the kitten is perched on her shoulder, doing an impression of a parrot. My friend has her eyes shut while the kitten's eyes look like headlights!
  • I'm usually dead to the world so I don't notice either cats, and they don't usually come to me anyway.

Otherwise, they annoy my parents next door.
  • Sounds really cute, Jenny.

I wish we had seen ours when he was a kitten - he is black and white long hair, so I bet he was like a little ball of fluff.
  • I know what you mean, Sagesse, except that with us it's dogs.

When you adopt an adult dog, you can't help but wonder what he/she looked like as a puppy.
  • http://www.avolites.org.uk/jokes/images/p26.jpg
  • that's great!
  • Did I ever tell you about the cat I called Fathead?
  • No?! Please tell me you didn't chuck it in the bin after calling it names??!
  • We have three and after we came back from hols summat had obviously gone on and now two of them keep picking on the little one. Am running out of ideas as to how to recreate harmony - any suggestions welcome.
  • That's a shame. I've only ever had one at a time.
    Is it males v females or a combo?
  • Er, tell them to sit down and discuss it properly?

Sagesse, no I am not that woman although I do own a wheelie bin.
  • Sagesse it's a brother and sister who are about 6 and a male who is 18 months. They got on really well until we went away.

Dora I've tried that, negotiations broke down though.
  • Sagesse - how about you ignore the hour thing and go back to what it was before. I don't see the point of changing the hour anyway and it's only a few months till "they" decide to change it back again. Time is relevant after all and I can't see any relevance to it in my life.

(I do however seem to have missed numerous appointments this week and things on the telly are all at different times to what I thought. But as I am totally confused about most things, this is nothing new in life ;) )
  • Funny!

We managed to shave 10 minutes off this morning, so he appears to be coming round to the idea :-)
  • Neph - do you think the youngest one tried to become boss in your absence?
  • It could be.

I did google it, but the main suggestion I found was a bit drastic; splitting cats up withing the house and gradually introducing them again over a set period of time.

I wouldn't want to do this and I'm not really sure how it would work.
  • I had a litter of psychic kittens who told me they were all reincarnated from Houdini and I should treat them with respect. So I tied them in a bag and threw them in the river. Guess they were lying about being escapists, so I won that argument?
  • Do you do silentfarts too?

Just curious, as they are stinkers.
  • Yes but only due to a bowel illness. That's why I have a fart amplifier stitched into my bills to make me feel normal.
  • The truly fearless think of themselves as normal.
  • Well, if the Private Members Bill gets through, stopping this ridiculous nonsense with clocks changing twice a year, hopefully it will make sense for everyone. Personally I find it a bind, they should have BST time up to March or May then go to double S.T. Inidentally I knew the descendent of the person responsible for Daylight saving. In fact my parents knew her and her husband before he married, they used to play on the beach at Old Felixtowe, little knowing they would meet up again, small world or serendipity?