Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Another interesting web site - UK surnames

edited November 2010 in - Reading
Whoops - sorry - posted this initially on Welcome - should read what I do before posting - a bit like "engage brain before opening mouth" :)

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/1881census

I found it fascinating and have already chosen my killer's surname !

P

Comments

• Does it sound like the surname of a killer?!!
  • You may have to wait a rather long time to find out ! It's yet to be written - let alone find a publisher :)
  • It's good to have a name from the beginning - makes the character seem more real.
  • Great fun, thanks.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Great fun, thanks. [/quote]

ditto
  • I've always used this for my surnames. It's been a bookmark for a long while. Only I use the browse by surnames, not the census.
  • I use a book of surnames which gives me the background to them - as does the book of Christian names I have too, which makes it an interesting challenge for my characters - when I get to create them, that is.
  • Found it interesting from the family tree/research perspective.
  • So, Ms Books - how far have you got researching your rather unusual name? Is the Books family well-connected with a crest and a family motto? :D
  • Quite interesting. And even more funnier that the area where I live doesn't actually exist in the census.
  • My surname doesn't register at all. It said it was rare and suggested I get breeding!!!!
  • [quote=Jenny]So, Ms Books - how far have you got researching your rather unusual name[/quote]

Far! Found a grave in Lyme Regis for the Bagster family. Not quite the right spelling but it was still a shocker!
  • WHat was the shock? A smuggler/robber?
  • No, that I was looking for something completely different - sent on another MNs challenge to write about graves. Then I found the one next door was a Bagster.