Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's your favourite Christmas food?

edited December 2010 in Off-topic
I love the sprouts, turkey and roast parsnips.
Not so keen on all the sweet things like mince pies and Christmas pud.

Comments

• I'm the same.

I also indulge in some good cheeses too.
  • Er... Well, I don't have the sprouts, or the turkey (I have chicken), or the parsnips, or mince pies or Xmas pud... erm...

What's that leave me? Taters?
  • Yes we get a selection of cheese and assorted crackers.
  • Stuffing.
  • *drools*

My mum makes delicious sausage stuffing. I love the crispy bits.
  • Ummm, Crispy balls followed by stuffing.

yeah baby.
  • why Christmas food? You can have everything mentioned here all year round!
    So, let's go for favourite food instead, and I'm with COS, chocolate. All else, immaterial.
  • [quote=dorothyd]You can have everything mentioned here all year round![/quote]

But we don't.
  • ummm, smothered in chocolate, then stuffing mmmmmmmmmmm
  • Would you lick the chocolate off?
  • No we don't either. We might have turkey mince during the year, but we only ever have roast turkey at Christmas.
  • I love the sprouts, turkey and roast parsnips.

unquote.

No? My partner cooks roast parsnips all year round, and does a fine stuffing (which I can't eat but still...) you can buy mince pies from September onwards, Christmas puddings about the same time and sprouts have a long winter season as a veg. I eat turkey every week at a local carvery ...
  • Yes BB I would, depending on where it was smothered first though.
  • Christmas cake mixture - before it goes in the oven! Mega-yummy :D
  • I make turkey curry throughout the year
  • just plain turkey on the plate, can't be bettered.
  • [quote=kateyanne]I love the sprouts, turkey and roast parsnips. [/quote]
    me too - with lashings of gravy. Don't like the Christmas pud or Christmas cake (too heavy, man) but OK with mince pies if they're made with puff pastry.
  • We have parsnips and brussels every week at the moment, and roast veg of every description is just wonderful, but there's nothing like Christmas lunch with the turkey and sausages and bacon and cranberry, roast veg and taters, yum, yum, yum. BUT I also adore mince pies.

And you've just reminded me to ring up the farm shop and order me free range, organic, happy before its beheaded turkey...
  • I'm being a bit of a Scrooge this year - I haven't even started shopping yet.

This will be my first Christmas since we lost our Mam so the organisation has gone to pot. I'll go see my grandson in the morning and then to the pub at noon and home to sleep it off. No dinner (I was never keen on Christmas dinner anyway - no chilli in it ;)) but more beer and back out at night.
  • We have a lovely roast every Sunday, but not that often with turkey and not with wine - I don't drive at Christmas.

There's something different about a Christmas roast.
  • [quote=dorothyd]why Christmas food? You can have everything mentioned here all year round![/quote]

I agree with that. I don't have anything special or different at Xmas. To be fair I hardly eat a roast dinner as it is so that's occasion enough. I love mince pies and look forward to those and only have them in December to make me feel Christmassy.

Mulled wine could be one but I have that around Halloween and Bonfire Night too.
  • I absolutely love all 'Chrismas food' - except the sprouts.
  • Christmas cake! I could have that all year round but as it's laced with lashings of brandy and made with butter, it's got to be a treat. Also, I make my own from a family recipe that's come down three generations. It's quite expensive to get all the ingredients - it's a big cake :-) - but shop-bought ones aren't even worth eating, for me.
  • I think candy canes are probably the only thing I have at Xmas that I don't have any other time of year. I find turkey too rich so I have chicken for my roast dinner instead (which is what I usually have) and I eat very small dinners... so... yeah, candy canes would be my 'Xmas only' thing ;)
  • Isn't this the tastiest thread?
  • My six year old daughter is looking forward to the new Dr Who more than Xmas itself I think. She wakes up every day and asks me how many more days until Dr Who.

I'm veggie and don't really do sweet so a lot of what has been mentioned doesn't really fall into my camp. But I do eat the big purple ones from Quality Street as a Xmas tradition.
  • fish fingers and baked beans are my favourite christmas food
  • My favourite food is BBQ reindeer.
  • Actually my fave chrimbo food is the choc santas of the tree. Christmas Eve I'm there on all fours, sniffing away at the lower branches with them hanging, and chrimbo morning I'm allowed off my leash and go mad on it. Tree doesn't stand a chance.
  • At a fair a stall were selling venison burgers. I wasn't very popular when I re-named them Bambi Burgers.
  • :)

You'd think that'd be a USP wouldn't you BB?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]At a fair a stall were selling venison burgers. I wasn't very popular when I re-named them Bambi Burgers.[/quote]

You should serve them to kids with a bright red cherry tomato on top.
  • Do people still have those orange and lemon sugary slices? My mum and dad always bought them every Christmas and a box of dates-only had dates at Christmas. I have chopped dates every day now on my porridge.
  • I haven't had a date in ages :(

Yeah the old crystalized fruit used to come out at crimbo - and the nuts and the Eat Me dates, the last of which were usually still waiting for someone to take them up on their offer long after the tree had been put back up in the attic.
  • [quote=collide-o-scope]I haven't had a date in ages[/quote]

Neither have I but I've swallowed a few plums. I love fruit so good for you.
  • [quote=collide-o-scope]I haven't had a date in ages [/quote]

me neither. :(
  • For x-mas: favourite parts are roast potatoes, Christmas pud and cream and mince pies gently warmed through with custard...
  • good job you said favourite parts there, Carol, at first I thought you were going to have roast potatoes with the Christmas pud with the mince pies ...
  • Roast taters. Hate parsnips, not too keen on turkey and despise sprouts. Not keen on xmas pud or mince pies or any other sugary stuff. I'd be happy to eat cheese and crackers for my dinner.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't do the Christmas dinner. My family does, but I don't. Been that way for since I can remember. A bowl of pasta will do me just as good. Don't do the pudding or pies or anything else either.

That's just the way I am.
  • I know already that my Christmas dinner this year will be steamed veg and potatoes. Vegan daughter does not do Christmas and she is in charge of cooking. Boxing Day I will go visit my partner and his wife and eat a proper dinner.

Next year, who knows? Everything seems set fair to change in 2011, sending out thoughts it will be so.
  • I have umpteen xmas dinners to attend over the next few weeks. There's only so much turkey a person can endure...
  • edited December 2010
    Let me see..................... My favourite Christmas food:

Roast Turkey, glazed carrots, roast parsnips gravy made with all the meat juices and some wine, roast taties, tater and parsnip mash, button sprouts,christmas pud (with Cream Ice cream and Brandy butter) mince pies, trifle, cheese (Brie, camembert [both very runny], stilton, danish blue, mature cheddar, double gloucester) and crackers. pickled onions, red cabbage, cold turkey, ham, salad, Christmas cake (with loads of marzipan) stollen, trifle. D'ya want me to go on?
  • Grin and bear it, Red.

I like chippolata sausages wrapped in bacon with the turkey, and eating a hot turkey drumstick in your fingers is lovely too, with cranberry sauce to dip it in.
  • Yes, all of those for me too, Lolli. I'd forgotten about the wine aspect of things: a nice Bordeaux with my cheese and biscuits, please. Oh, and a warm glass of cognac while having a chat round the room in candle light.
  • Ah, now see, forget all that foody rubbish...bring on the cheese and wines. I'm already stocked up on stilton and danish blue and smoked cheese, with some lovely Temperanillos and full bodied Syrahs waiting in the wings.
  • forgot the cranberry sauce - and the bread sauce, sherry, port, nice wine with dinner, gluhwein/mulled wine........................
  • Gosh... what with the wine with our dinner (above) we also drink a glass in the evening, and what with that and 3 mince pies or so by Boxing Day all I want is salad, tomatoes and cold turkey or ham.

i think it's because we never eat to excess, or drink to excess... so can''t even on Christmas day. I certainly can't look at chocolate.

But I do love all the little treats in small amounts over the following week.