Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Lady

edited December 2010 in - Writing Problems
Does anyone know the rules for submission to The Lady since Rachel Johnson took over as editor? For example is post or email submission preferred? Does anyone have any up to date guidelines for The Lady?
Thanks!

Comments

• The editor, as far as I recall, is not accepting outside contributions, Sally, she only takes items from her friends.
  • Thanks Dorothy - that's a shame.
  • It is always worth e-mailing to find out if they will consider your work.
  • Submit a pitch (not the full article) to Rachel.
    [email protected]
  • I will try that, writebag. Thanks.
  • [quote=sallyj]I will try that, writebag. Thanks. [/quote]

Could you let us know how you get on so we can see if The Lady is only accepting work from friends of the editor?
  • edited December 2010
    The editor does take pitches from writers/journalists I know writes that do sell to her. I'm not sure where this silly idea came from! What is Sally going to say to the ed, "are you rejecting my idea because it's no good or because I am not your bestest friend???"
  • the 'silly idea' came from Rachel herself, who began her editorship by only taking from friends ... or so it seems from her interviews.
  • Yes that was the impression she gave in a number of interviews to major broadsheet publications this year. It may not have been her intent to suggest that but another TBer-if I remember rightly- sent ideas and didn't get any response.
  • That's not uncommon with any magazine. If a TBer has an idea they should pitch it and see.
  • I did watch the documentary and although she hired friends to write for her she also droppe a lot of the people who sent in complete features favouring pitches. In fact since Rachel took over I've had quite a few acquaintances accept commissions from her - not me but I have been rejected in a very friendly way.
    Whenever one pitches an idea it should be seen through to the end. Usually this will be done by telephone rather than email so keep faith in any feature idea and follow it through to a commission or rejection. If it is rejected take it elsewhere.
    An editor only ignores us when we let them!
  • Many thanks to you all for your comments. I have emailed Rachel Johnson at The Lady and will let you know the response.
  • Good luck - hope you have good news to share.
  • Good luck!
  • [quote=sallyj]Many thanks to you all for your comments. I have emailed Rachel Johnson at The Lady and will let you know the response. [/quote]

Did you get a response from Rachel?
  • I got no response at all from the '[email protected]' email address.
    When I used '[email protected]' I got a swift (same day) rejection.

Better luck to anyone else who tries!
  • http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/you/article-1359532/The-Lady-A-intern-reveals-eye-opening-assignments-genteel-mag.html

An article in The Mail on Sunday's You magazine today.
  • edited February 2011
    How do you think her article will be received at The Lady? (Presumably she doesn't intend to work there again!)
  • The article was reading fine until near the end:

[quote]The rest of the week was punctuated by an assortment of awkward phone calls from grumpy freelancers and nosy reporters.[/quote]

I'm not sure that's the best thing to write if you want to make contacts when you're just starting out in journalism!
  • yes, I saw that line!!!!!
  • Doesn't make the magazine attractive to work for either...
  • Maybe she thinks everyone will think how witty she is and forgive her.

What if she's a TBer?!!
  • [quote=Jenny]What if she's a TBer?!! [/quote]

I class my comment as being constructive and useful feedback for a budding journalist! ;-)
  • Can't argue with that. ;)
  • GF - do you have any other trade secrets to tell us? :)
  • [quote=Jenny]GF - do you have any other trade secrets to tell us[/quote]

Trade secrets? I wish! That would imply that I'm very experienced and well-known in such circles.
  • From that article I think Rachel came across as humane and The Lady, albeit chaotic, a pleasant place to work
  • Wonder what the freelancers were so grumpy about?
  • Can confirm SallyJ's experience of a quick turn around with The Lady. Rejected within 24 hours but at least I'm free to offer the work elsewhere with little time loss!
  • I emailed a pitch a week ago and haven't had a response yet, but don't know if that's good or bad. The automated reply gave details on how to submit a pitch so I'm wondering whether to re-submit with the information they require - details of fact sources etc.
  • Which email did you use DB? I used the editors one rather than RJ's email and had a response (rejection) within 24 hours. At least you can still hope and wish you success.
  • [quote=Wordy]Which email did you use DB? I used the editors one rather than RJ's email and had a response (rejection) within 24 hours. At least you can still hope and wish you success. [/quote]

I used the same one as you. It came with an automated reply which gave guidelines for pitches. As a few people on here got quick responses I'm not so sure I should be hopeful, could be that my pitch has just been ignored for not meeting the guidelines.
  • Did anyone else's automated reply have the guidelines for pitches in them?
  • Carol, my query received the automated reply immediately and then next morning the rejection. At least I can send it off somewhere else now wit little delay. Hope DB has better luck.
  • Wordy, did your pitch adhere to their guidelines?
  • DB, I actually sent the article rather than a query but it did fit the guidelines as far as I could see. I have had work included before the change of editor.
  • I haven't had a response to my pitch after several weeks. Maybe they binned it as it didn't adhere to their guidelines, so I may re-send it with all the details they require.