Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Audrey Niffenegger - anyone like to discuss?

edited January 2011 in - Reading
"Her Fearful Symmetry" was suggested to me after I posted a flash fiction on Spook City site.
I immediately bought this and "The Time Traveller's Wife" and have devoured both books with great satisfaction. It is "spooky"how similar HFS is to my story and I am now hooked on this author.

Having now looked into Niffenegger's work, I find that she has written "graphic novels" which interests me very much, particularly as my partner is a visual artist.

Anyone any opinions on her work ? I think I am going to order the graphic novels from Amazon.

Comments

• I have read The Time Traveller's Wife twice now and adored it both times. The complexity of the storyline is amazing, how she kept track of it I don't know, how she conceived it in the first place I don't know! The weaving in and out of the lives, the great love that showed through all the hero's actions, the ending, I just thought it was genius. Simple as that. I've not read 'Her Fearful Symmetry' - you've encouraged me to go get.
  • just started "Her fearful symetry " a few days ago....it's got my attention but she seems to switch around a lot with POV, which I've always understood is to be avoided. Did really enjoy "the Time Travellers Wife" very much, but then, I do enjoy time travel stories...as long as there's no aliens!

What are other writers views on point of view...
  • Yum. Preferred her first. Both Nevil Shute and Daphne Du Maurier, I was reminded of.
  • The Time Traveller's Wife - loved it!
  • I absolutely loved The Time Traveller's Wife - enjoyed Symmetry very much but it didn't quite have the same kick. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the graphic novels, Lexia.
  • I read Her Fearful Symmetry on holiday. I thought she did an outstanding job with quirky characters but most of all there is an unusual sense of the visual scenery and of colour.
  • Thanks for the comments folks. I am in awe of the author after reading those 2 books and am looking forward to the graphic novels arriving.

[quote=cath]she seems to switch around a lot with POV, which I've always understood is to be avoided.[/quote]
    I didn't find that it was point of view switching that was in Symmetry, cath. I liked the use of italics after one speaker for what the addressee was thinking. Think it worked well.
    Don't want to say too much about it now till you have finished it or it will spoil it for you !

(watched the film of The Time Traveller's Wife last night. As per most films of the book it was no where near as good ! )
  • Loved reading The Time Traveller's Wife, I'll have to read it again.
  • I'm in a bit of a quandry over Her Fearful Symmetry which I've just started reading. After finishing Joanne Harris' wonderful blueeyedboy which - as always with her books - is beautifully descriptive, sensorial and darkly poetic I'm finding Her Fearful Symmetry to be so clipped in delivery 'This happened. That happened.' So short and sharp I'm finding it hard to read.

Perhaps I should go for something in-between for the moment - I really do want to read this.
  • I know what you mean LilyC about the abruptness of the storytelling but I just loved it from start to finish. Maybe because I was in the mood for that kind of writing. I found the Time Traveler's Wife even more choppy and must admit it was more difficult to read. I was so enthralled by the theme of this though, so I suppose that's what kept me going !
    I think you might be better with an "inbetweener" for the time being.
  • I've just finished "Her Fearful Symmetry" and really enjoyed it. I'm often very good at guessing endings to telly programmes, films and books but I did'nt guess this one. Just my kind of book. If anyone knows any other author who writes ghost stories like this, please let me know but I don't like horror...scared to go to sleep at night if I read those.
  • I loved both books and find that her characters stay with me for a long time afterwards.

Cath - try "Strangers" by Taichi Yamada. A hauntingly beautiful ghost story that will still allow you to sleep at night - I hate horror too!
  • Like the sound of this grey girl.

Shall I buy paperback for 5.99 or hardback for 1.08 (from Amazon) !!
  • Amazon sounds like quite the bargain!!!

I always plump for the paperback version - easier to lug about with me!
  • The trouble with hardback is that they take up so much darned room on the shelf... BUT the print is often a lot bigger, and now I'm old they are SO much easier to read. So I always go for the cheap hardback if it's available!
  • I have just started Her Fearful Symmetry and already drawn deeply into the storyline. I noted what others said about the clipped writing and decided to read it after finishing the Lee Child book I had here. He tends to write in that way, so there is no 'transition' of style.
  • I did it! Came back to it after a break and have finished reading it this morning. Absolutely stunning. I loved the casual, wistful feel despite the growing eeriness. Beautiful - I want to read it again.
  • I gave my copy to my daughter the other day. Looking forward to her "review" as she is not a great reader of novels.

[quote=grey girl]Cath - try "Strangers" by Taichi Yamada. A hauntingly beautiful ghost story that will still allow you to sleep at night - I hate horror too![/quote]

Read this a couple of weeks ago. Lovely - recommended by me too
  • I read TTTW after it was recommended by a friend. It was okay, but seemed much too long.
  • no way, DB, loved every part of it! I wished he had gone through more 'adventures' but it had to end some time.
  • edited March 2011
    I read Time Traveller's Wife on holiday a couple of years ago, was still reading it on the plane home to find it was the 'in-flight' movie!! had to keep avoiding the screens all around me as I imagine the film will never be able to convey the complexity of the book. Still haven't watched it and don't feel the need. I found it incredible how she kept the story together, I image that in her case planning was the key, but you never know I suppose.

Will no doubt read her other stuff at some point, meanwhile I'm struggling with the 'time slip' novel I'm reading now and fear I may have to move on as it's just not grabbing me :(
  • [quote=dorothyd]no way, DB, loved every part of it! I wished he had gone through more 'adventures' but it had to end some time. [/quote]

Isn't it great when you find a book that makes you wish it never ended. I remember having that feeling with Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter.

Another good time travel book I'd recommend with some similar themes to TTTW is Replay by Ken Grimwood.
  • J finished this book a few days ago and although I enjoyed it I was a little disappointed in the ending. A, I would have liked it to be happier and B I actually thought it was a bit of a cop out as if she couldn't decide what to do with the characters. It was enjoyable and I am still waiting to read TTTW.

Love Lee Childs too. :)