Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Fridge-o-drama

pbwpbw
edited January 2011 in Off-topic
I think my stupid fridge-freezer has packed up. I don't know why. It's only eighteen months old. I defrosted the stupid thing the last time it complained. Bah!

Comments

• that's dreadful, is it within its warranty? 18 months isn't old.
  • No. Unfortunately the warranty was only twelve months and when it ran out they were hassling me to pay a fiver a month to continue it and on principle I wouldn't. Actually no, it was sums, not principle. The item (new) cost two hundred quid. The insurance proposal adds up to sixty quid a year which means in three years you have almost bought a new one. These days white goods are 'supposed' to last for six years, which means that this one is a really bad deal.

What's really annoying is that I have taken out a credit agreement to have a new kitchen installed in March and this stupid unit only has to last till then. I am NOT buying a new one for two months and I am NOT paying for this one to be replaced. Will just have to live on sandwiches without butter for ten weeks. BAH!

I am not pleased.
  • Poor you, paperback writer. Where was it made dare I ask. Most stuff today comes from ing tongie tiddle eye po if you get the gist. I do hope it will be resolved soon. You can get Loseys butter spread or look on Ebay, you never know or look in the local rag, you be surprised what you might find for a reasonable price, better that than food that will go off. I will be thinking of you - best of luck
  • A fridge freezer should last much longer than that.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/
  • I imagine you are not pleased! I would have turned down that warranty too, fiver a month???? and so close to getting a new kitchen, it is as if the items do this to spite us, isn't it?
  • [quote=Woll22]Where was it made dare I ask. Most stuff today comes from ing tongie tiddle eye po if you get the gist.[/quote]

:)

It's a BEKO. Serves me right...I should have bought Zanussi as I usually do.
  • Yes, actually, there are those swop sites like Ecobees and I dunno anyway there are several of them. I'm sure I can get something if I need to. At the moment, if I open the door and slam it, the motor does a kind of snort/sniff/snort and starts up again, so I'll see if I can bully it along for a few weeks. It is winter, after all.
  • my fridge freezer was playing up, we put some heat on in the kitchen and it solved the problem. It can get too cold for the motor, that's the trouble.
  • PBW it is always worth contacting the manufacturer and complaining even though it has gone over it's first year. We had this happen with a new fridge freezer. It went one month over and it was not repairable. The company replaced it free of charge as they said it should not have happened- they expect at least a five year life.
  • [quote=dorothyd]my fridge freezer was playing up, we put some heat on in the kitchen and it solved the problem. It can get too cold for the motor, that's the trouble. [/quote]
    Now that IS interesting. I am very stingy with my heating - being on a low income 'n all.
  • PBW, where is the unit located? Is it a verey cool spot? Cold can give the motor problems.
  • No! This is the thing. I live in a VERY small house: one up one down. The kitchen is hardly more than a partitioned area off the living/dining. Yes I do shut the kitchen door at night and the kitchen is not heated but the other wall of the kitchen backs onto the terraced property next door and he always runs his c/h. The wall which the fridge is on backs onto an interior wall of another neighbour so it never gets really cold.
  • If there's no obvious problem you can only find out what's wrong by getting an engineer in to look at it and that costs.:(
  • Can you contact the store where you bought it tomorrow? You don't want everything defrosting!
  • edited January 2011
    Update, please.PBW, I have visions of you throwing out all the frozen and chilled food and living with dry stuff for ten weeks. Yuk! How is the poor thing today?
  • It seems to be working all right today, DD. It doesn't feel as cold as I would like it, but that might be my imagination. The food was chilled when I came down for breakfast this morning, so it seems to be working OK. I just think the intervals between hearing the motor running are too long, but then I could be wrong. Thanks for asking.
  • If all fails , dont throw away the food, cook it all , invite some friends over and tell them to bring a bottle, then you can have a party
  • PBW, do you have a dial setting on the unit- usually numbered 1-4 or 5. It should be around 2 or 3- that seems to be the optimum setting. I put it higher if the fridge is full.
  • Do you have a fridge thermometer? Or a light on the freezer that tells you if it's at the right temperature?
  • [quote=Jenny]Do you have a fridge thermometer?[/quote] [quote=Jenny]It should be around 2 or 3-[/quote]
    Yes and Yes - only strictly speaking it's a freezer thermometer and I might have misread it a bit - daffy panicky moron that I am (no OH you see to calm me down and put up a shelf). I reckon it's OK now and if the motor doesn't want to run very often well, that's technology for you. You won't get it to change its mind. Thank you everybody for your concern.
  • I hate having to put up my own shelves.