Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Are or Is?

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
I've got a sentence where I'm not sure whether to write this:

"The Maldives is comprised of nearly 1,200 islands"

or this:

"The Maldives are comprised of nearly 1,200 islands"

I think it should be "are", but often get caught out with the are and is thing!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Yes, DB, it should be are. Think of other similar islands: The British Isles are wet most of the time.

I'm wondering about the rest of your sentence though: shouldn't it be: The Maldives comprise nearly 1,200 islands?
  • [quote=Dwight]I'm wondering about the rest of your sentence though: shouldn't it be: The Maldives comprise nearly 1,200 islands? [/quote]

Yes, I think you're right. Even if "comprised of" is grammatically correct (is it?), it is rather clunky!
  • edited January 2011
    Comprise means 'consist of' or 'be made up of' so the second 'of' is superfluous. My dictionary's advice on usage is that more acceptable alternatives are consist of, be composed of or simply comprise without the of.
  • 'The Maldives consist of nearly 1,200 islands' sounds perfect to me and gets over the is/are problem.
  • Are there (almost) 1,200 islands?
  • Dwight, you're right: The Maldives comprise nearly 1 200 islands.
  • Isn't the use of is and are dictated by the preceding word being either singular or plural?
  • edited January 2011
    Generally speaking yes, and 'The Maldives' refers to several Islands, so is a plural word. You could say the Maldives are made up of severasl Islands, or as Dwight put,

[quote=dwight]The Maldives comprise nearly 1,200 islands[/quote]

which is grammatically correct and avoids all the traps an editor might want to pick up on.
  • Thanks for the confidence shown, folks, but DB, is your statement true :) ?