Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do plant names always have a capital? Are they always in italics?

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
In my manuscript I use a lot of plant names. I do know that if you are using the botanical name e.g. Prunus - it should be in italics but if you use the word 'cherry' is that in italics too? When listed in a sentance - e.g. alliums, poppies, rudbeckias - do these have a capital and should they too be in italics?

Comments

• Common names, such as 'poppy' don't need a capital or italics, the botanical name should be in italics and the first letter of the first part should be a capital. The specific variety should have capitals, but not italics and be in quotes..

Eg The white passion flower is Pasiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliott' with Pasiflora caerulea in italics.

It gets tricky when the botanical name is also used as the common name, as is the case with rudbeckias. You could either use italics and a capital, or neither - depending how it is being used.
  • Common names do not have a capital.

The Latin names for genera and species are put in italics, with a capital letter for the first name of the genus, but not for the species.

Why don't you look in a plant book?
  • Thanks Liz - I have looked in many books but the 'fashion' for the way things are written changes quite often. I knew about the genera and species - I did my own plant catalogue for many years.Thanks too Phot's Moll for your comment. That was really what I needed to confirm.
  • Penelope (can I call you Penny?) look in the more modern (published in last 2/3 yrs) plant books, by Alan Titchmarsh, Monty Don, Jecka whatsername (mcVicar?), Kim Wilde, the irish chappie, Diarmuid Gavin and the latest RHS ones. Take your lead from then as they will be using what is in fashion now