Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Stories that go their own way - should we intervene ?

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
I have about 1600 words of a short story written that I did in 2 sessions, just before Christmas. Things happened and I have just looked back on it with the intention of completing it, but realise that the direction has changed completely from what I originally intended. I have no idea what the ending could be, and wondered if anyone has felt this and continued to produce a good story.

It doesn't seem to be my "style" either, so maybe I have been having another one of those "automatic writing" type moments !

Comments

• Nearly always happens to me-I rarely end up where I first thought. I tend to go with it but try not to get completely sucked in-if that makes sense :)
  • It can do Lexia. Go with it and see what you get. If it doesn't work then you can go back, but clearly your subconcious is pushing you in a new direction. Perhaps you should try it.

Sometimes a character can take over the story and then you have to intervene.
  • You could always have two versions - one going the 'right' way amd one going wherever it goes.
  • This happens to me all the time - honestly, the places I end up in!!
  • "It's not my fault, my characters led me astray!"

Does that ever get you out of trouble, Marc?
  • [quote=lexia]It doesn't seem to be my "style" either[/quote]
    Perhaps your characters are trying to tell/show you something worthy of investigation.

When characters take control it is a sign that the story is developing into a reality. It may not be the plot first considered but could produce an enviable conclusion.
  • [quote=Marc.B]This happens to me all the time - honestly, the places I end up in!! [/quote]
    Me too. I have read that provided it doesn't wreck the logic of your story, it should be OK. Sometimes you have to stand back and consider whether your secondary characters are taking over. If so, are they confusing the reader and muddying everything? Is it distracting from the main story arc? If it is then you might have to rework things, otherwise go for it. If it's a better story than your original one, well even better, go for it again. Good luck.
  • Yes, that happens a lot to me too. I always get new ideas as I'm writing a story and characters can really surprise me - like I don't even control them anymore.
  • Sometimes I just like to stand back and do a Harry Hill

--- F I G H T!
  • Stories with minds of their own are like sleep walkers. Let them carry on as it could be fatal to wake them. But if they cause a mess laugh about it in the morning and clean it up.
  • You did mean sleep "walkers" didn't you ST?
  • edited January 2011
    Either way Dora, the metaphor stands lol
  • In current novel I never intended to go to Syria but hey! here we are and trying to get back to the UK.
  • Well ...

when I was in Syria I was soon trying to get back to the UK too, Marc.
    B****y cold in winter, that place !

I have read the story through a few more times now and still have no idea of the ending but am going to let it go somewhere :)
  • just, not down the toilet, please lexia.