Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Blog Thoughts From a Broad

edited January 2011 in Off-topic
Hello my dear unknown unseen but not imaginary friends.
I've been wondering about how one sets up a Blog - I see some of yours have Big Red 'B' logos attached - are those the Google ones?
Which (free) Blog would you recommend?
What's the point?
(very important) is it easy to set one up! Date-order and all that, like a diary looks the simplest way
Is it something even I might cope with!
I've got the morning off and when I've attended to The Needy Ones (and the neddy one) I might have a look at doing a bit of Blogging.
Might

Comments

• I can't offer anything useful, but will watch this thread with interest.
    I had a go at starting a blog last year, but it didn't seem to 'register' and I gave up in disgust. ;)
  • Easy peasy to set up.
    Most TBers use http://www.blogger.com/home
    It's an easy way to update people with random information, if you read other people's from TB then you know the kind of stuff we put and you also know which parts YOU like reading, so you should be able to figure out what you want to say.
    Posting is as simple as logging in, clicking new post, typing it, then giving it a title and clicking save!
  • It's so easy, ceka. I think blogger is easiest and like br says, most TBers have blogger so you can keep an eye on them with your blogger dashboard! I have one blogger and one wordpress. Have a play and see how you get on. Let us know when you've posted your first entry!
  • edited January 2011
    Agree, agree with Lou and BR (Claudia - I think your heart wasn't in the job ! ;) )

Yes ceka, I have a blog ... so "EVEN you can cope" with one.

As for [quote=ceka]What's the point?[/quote]

This question is a bit like asking the meaning of life or why have a walk in the countryside in the middle of winter and freeze your socks off - to me, it's there and available, so might as well use it
    ;)

In a more "writing inclined" answer I might say that is get's your name out there (if that's what you want)... it is a useful tool for the old procrastination exercise, where we can still say we are writing ... it's writing practice, possibly ... it's a pleasant iinterlude from other things ... etc
  • Forgot to say - LOVE the threa title !
    Is this going to be the blog name ?
  • I use Wordpress which is very easy to set up and use.

I think there are several reasons for blogging:
    Getting your name known
    Interacting with other writers
    Discipline - it's essential to post regularly to attract readers
    It get's you writing

The hardest part is building a readership, so make sure you advertise your blog on Talkback and whereever else you can.

Good Luck!
  • It is so easy even I could do it with only basic instruction. Anything more complicated I can check the blogger help bit or ask fellow TB's.
    Great name for a blog too.
  • [quote=lexia]Forgot to say - LOVE the thread title ![/quote]

Me too! I think it's a brilliant idea for your blog name, ceka :)
  • yeah. Must say I like the name too. Perhaps that sort of word play is one reason why you are a published writer!
  • It's easy, Ceka. I know technology isn't your strong point, but you'd soon get the hang of it.

Blogger is the best, imo.

Give it a go - if you don't like it, you can always stop.
  • [quote=lexia](Claudia - I think your heart wasn't in the job ! ;) )[/quote]

Very likely! I can't even remember which blog thingy I tried! lol
  • OK, folks, thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions and advice
    You do know this Blog is going to be the worst of my experiences with The Great World, don't you? Nothing serious. I'm sick of serious. If I can try to be jolly maybe the wind will change and I'll stay that way. But knowing my luck the wind will just get trapped and I'll have a bout of sodding colic like Hoss had on Sunday afternoon. There I go being all morbid again already.
    MUST TRY TO BE JOLLY AND FUN TO KNOW
    "that's the way to do it" (quote Mr Punch)
  • Ceka you can change things, add things as and when you want, be anything you want. :)
  • Ceka, have you tried killing people? (In your stories, I mean) That always cheers me up.

In your next story a relative of the mc is a computer salesman (or whoever else you feel deserves to die) then either mention the relative is dead, or to be extra cruel don't mention them at all. You can even write a scene where they die in agony - just remember to delete that bit before subbing to PF.
  • Hahahhaha!
    Thanks Tosh!
    I've done it, I've gonned and blogged. Don't know how to put a link in though
    But I did call it 'BlogThoughts From A Broad'
    I'm going to do a virtual tour of The Owlery over the next few posts, just till I get the hang of it all.
    Cheers everyone!
    (goes off to make a cup of tea, humming!)
  • Oh dear, first hurdle: how do I get back to my Blog?
  • edited January 2011
    To post a link ---

Go to your blog and then look at the top of the page - if you look up now you'll see a little green leaf thing followed by gobbledegook starting http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?... Copy all of what it says at the top of your blog, then paste it as a reply here. It won't go blue and underlined until after you post it.
  • "Go to my Blog" - HOW?
    (I knew I should've posted this on a private site!)
  • I meant just look at it on the screen.

Don't worry - I think everyone knows you're not the most technical TBer there has ever been.
  • I can't look at it at all - I've lost it. How do I get back to My Blog I tried googling it and got straight back HERE to Talkback
  • That's what happened when I tried Googling too. Expect it's too soon for it to show up.

Do you still have tabs open on your computer for the sites you've been looking at? (Near the top of the screen there will be little pictures of green leaves and orange Bs) If so, it might still be there and you can click on it. If not, try clicking back until you find it - click on the black backwards arrow at the top of the screen.
  • Got it - I googled 'Blogspot' and it took me straight there.
    Bloomin' clever, these machines.
    OK, trying to find the leafy thing - can't see it or the gobbledegook! But I'm looking ...
  • The leafy thing will show when you're in TB land - can you see it?
  • edited January 2011
    Ceka look at the browser bar where the web address is, there is the symbol (B for blogger or a green two pronged leaf for Writers News) and then http etc, so when you are on your blog page that B symbol and address is what you copy so you can paste it here and on the blog updates thread.

Then remember to save your blog address page to your favourites or bookmark it for ease of use.
  • can't see the leafy thing ceka? maybe Hoss ate it when you'd gorn to make a cuppa?
  • Not known at this address!
    But I saved myself in 'favourites' and this is what comes up if I hoover the moose:
    http://blogthoughtsfromabroad.blogspot.com
    But I haven't tried using that yet - would someone please try and see if it works?
    Thank you O Knowledgeable Ones
    (How the hell did you all get so good at this anyway!!!)
  • IT'S ALL GONE RED! AND IT'S GONE BLUE!
    By George I think the thickest TBite has actually got something right!!!!
  • It works ceka. :)
  • Your link works fine!
  • And you have followers and a comment.
  • Ceka: Looks fine to an inexperienced person like myself.
  • Thank you Patsy and Carol - I just tried to reply to the e-mails, I didn't realise they were only 'comments on blog' - Oh dear how much there is for me to learn.
    Can this rusty ol' brain cope with all this cleverosity?
    No, thought not!
    Goodnight my dear invisible friends. I know the truth. I know you really exist. Anyone who says you don't is just ...
    ... a man in a white coat come to take me away ...
  • When you are signed in to your blog Ceka you can add your own comments to your blog or other blogs.
    Take it a day at a time and you'll be a whizz before too long.
    Goodnight. :)
  • You can reply to the comments by commenting yourself - but there's no hurry. Get some sleep first.
  • WEll done ceka! Will someone tell me why i can't post a comment?
  • [quote=Lolli] someone tell me why i can't post a comment? [/quote]

ceka put a ban on her blog for your comments Lolli.

:)

nah, not reeellllie.

I can't comment neither not can I.
  • The comments were working last night.
  • edited January 2011
    I've commented ...

Dora and Lolli, what happens when you try to comment and can you comment on other blogs?
  • I've commented too.
  • Seems to be fine a few minutes ago.

Congratulations, ceka !
  • Am lurvin' the blog, Ceka! :)
  • It works - well done Ceka - you've inspired me to have a go now so I'm off to see if I can do this blogging stuff.
  • Ooh, I like your Dalek disco ball, Betsie!
  • Thanks IG - your palm tree is pretty cool too
  • PM tried to quote you but got thown out of here for trying. :(

Don't comment on other blogs.

I think the problem is one has to create an account somewhere in order to comment, and I don't have one.
  • Dora if you don't have a Google account or one of the others listed you won't be able to comment unless the blog owner has altered the settings to accept anonymous comments.
  • [quote=dora]PM tried to quote you but got thown out of here for trying[/quote] Oh no! Surely whatever I said wasn't that bad?

I have mine set to accept any comments including anonymous ones - don't get anonymous comments though. I wondered if there was a snag meaning only those with accounts can comment.
  • Don't ask me how I do anything yet, gang ...
    thank you so much those who have commented.
    Is there a protocol for this commenty business? My e-mail box was full of what had been put on my blog, how on earth does that happen? ever so clever.
  • [quote=ceka]Is there a protocol for this commenty business?[/quote] Some bloggers never respond to comments, but I think it's nicer if you do. You don't have to give a seperate reply to everyone (although you can if you wish) Something like 'thanks everyone' and then reply to particular questions or points that you think warrant more than that. It can all be done in the one comment.
  • edited January 2011
    I have a google account and stay signed in. I WAS able to post on parodies lost, but cannot post on that now, either. I think you've made a good start on yours, ceka. Well done! In fact it inspired me to start one so here is the link:

http://lollibs.blogspot.com/