Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Competition etiquette ?

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
Wonder if some of you experienced lot can advise me on 2 questions of "etiquette" ?

1) I am about to enter a first chapter and synopsis in the Debut Dagger competition. The synopsis is only supposed to be 500-1000 words. Should it include the outline of the first chapter or just the story from Chapter 2 onwards ?
http://www.thecwa.co.uk/daggers/debut/index.html

2) I would also like to enter the Circalit - 4 Writing Competitions - Crime bit as per Tracy's blog. The due date for this is about 5 weeks time.
http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/01/four-writing-competitions-crime-theatre.html
I am in the throes with the novel whose first chapter I'm submitting to Debut Dagger and would like to carry on. But it isn't due to be judged till July.

So the question is, is it reasonable to enter the same project (much longer version) for Circalit too ? (Seems highly unlikely I'd win either but hey who knows ?)

TIA
P

Comments

• 1) I would assume that a synopsis should cover the whole story. 500-1000 words seems an average amount for any synopsis. The skill is in fitting your book into that word limit!

2) My understanding is that you shouldn't submit anything in two places at the same timee. If the judging date for Debut Dagger passes then you can entre the second comp with it but I wouldn't do it beforehand. What if you won both?! I wouldn't risk it but I think you need to ask others here as I'm a very amateur amateur!
  • edited January 2011
    GF's advice is good, P, exactly what I would advise. They may only want to read the synopsis and then, if they like the sound of it, read the chapter, depending on how many submissions they get.

I send stories out to one place at a time. When I know it's been accepted, I send it somewhere else (these are non paying markets) but not to two places at the same time. I would definitely work on the synopsis, get it right, send it out, finish the book and then find something else to send to Circalit.
  • edited January 2011
    I would agree with the advice given on both areas.
    The synopsis needs to be of the whole story.
    You may not think it likely that you will win either of the competitions, but you might - otherwise what's the point in entering at all !

Good luck !
  • Agree entirely with what has been said already.
    Good luck.
  • I agree with the advice too - good grief, could this be the first thread where we all agree?

Usually the rules will state the work can't be submitted elsewhere at the same time, but even if neither competition states they won't take simultaneous submissions, I wouldn't suggest sending the same project to both at the same time.
  • Especially when the Dagger competition is such high profile.
  • Seven posts and not a disagreement in any of them and here's an eighth. Send them out separately. Wait for one to be judged before you send the second. AND GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • You might be better to enter the Circalit this time and the Dagger next year.
  • Thanks to all of you. Food for thought. Intrigued by Carol's comment though - [quote=Carol]You might be better to enter the Circalit this time and the Dagger next year. [/quote] - can you explain to this poor dim person, Carol ?
  • Well the Dagger competition has a high number of entries and runs each year.
    I'm not sure if the Circalit crime one is an annual- apologies if it is.
    I reasoned that by entering the Circalit one this year you might get some indication of how good it is. Then by the time entries are due for next year's Dagger you could be fairly certain that it is as best as it could be for such a high profile competition.

Don't mean to insult your ability Pragmatist- it's just me being practical.
    I'm sure if you feel it is ready for the Dagger competition you will go ahead and I wish you very good luck with it. :)
  • Thanks Carol. Just seems a long time to wait but guess I had better get fingers to keyboard :)
  • Did you ever get your websites sorted?