Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

circus and being PC

edited February 2011 in - Writing Problems
I want to write a short childrens story for a competion including animals performing in a circus, is this subject politically correct these days? I know I dont agree with it now, but as a child did go to the circus to see all the animals,of course much wiser now, and I dont think there are still any circus`s with animals in them any more any way. Should I do it or go another way? the animals are the main theme in the story, so would probably have to have another think.

Comments

• there are no animals in circuses these days, Jenny, so it might not be a good idea to include them in this one.
    Best of luck with a rethink.
  • No, it's not politically, or morally correct.
  • Yes methinks, a rethink is on the cards, as I do agree with you
  • I went to one in November and it featured llamas, horses, donkeys, birds and a camel. Though the animals seemed in good condition, the whole thing was a bit of a shoddy affair.
  • It depends when the story is set surely. I've got a story set just after the Second World War and the little boy in that goes to a circus which has animals performing in it. It's in context with the time and story.
  • There are still some shows featuring animals - horses are often used to perform in the main ring at country fairs etc as are dos and there are parades of cattle, sheep Llamas etc. Would that work for your idea?

Could you set it in a zoo or park?
  • [quote=dorothyd]there are no animals in circuses these days, Jenny, [/quote] -

this is not the case at all. There is a movement away from the involvement of animals and some councils won't permit them on their land but it is by no means a comprehensive policy. As already written, it depends on the context of the setting and the time but if you don't feel comfortable with it yourself then it is likely this will also be the case with some readers / judges so you are already at a disadvantage before you submit - not an ideal scenario.
  • thanks, Patrick. It's certainly the case on the island, no animals. Since the Chippendale (is that the right name? memory's failing) abuse of elephants, there's been a distinct move away from animal exploitation. You're right, it depends on the context and setting and you're also right that putting it in could mean the writer is at a disadvantage from the start. Best avoided, methinks. You need confidence in your characters/setting to get away with it and judges can be fickle.
  • Would the story work if you had people dressed up as animals and behaving in character?
  • [quote=Jenny]Would the story work if you had people dressed up as animals and behaving in character? 1 to 10 of 10[/quote] No I dont think so, and as its for young children, I dont think they would understand, any way I have decided I can put animals into the story , but as pets of the people who work in the circus and not as performers, using all the other things that go on such as trapeze artist and clowns, Thanks for all the comments and help
  • [quote=Jennymf]I have decided I can put animals into the story , but as pets of the people who work in the circus and not as performers[/quote]

That's a good idea!
  • [quote=dorothyd]Since the Chippendale (is that the right name? memory's failing) abuse of elephants, there's been a distinct move away from animal exploitation. [/quote]
    Chipperfield, Dorothy!
  • Although it's possible the Chippendales could also be written off as 'animal exploitation' ... ;)
  • that's why I queried it, Ceka! Knew it was wrong, couldn't remember what was the right one! :D
  • Can I do some live market research on the Chippendales then, probably very , very, unsuitable for a childrens story. But I would enjot it
  • Oh, Dororthy that did make me laugh! :) :) :) Thanks for cheering up a wet afternoon.
  • Dorothy - I hope the Chippendales don't get upset over the suggestion that they've abused elephants!
  • if the Chippendales are reading this thread, then Hi guys, you know where I live, come on round and I'll apologise in person for getting your name(s) wrong...
  • But will you trust them with your elephants?
  • ah, they're safe, I am all out of elephants right now, all on loan to Maharajahs and others in India, at cost, of course (the cost of feeding them not to mention the airmail tickets...)
  • Ten years ago, when we were moving back home from living in England, we were driving through Wales to catch the ferry home. En route, we came upon a field with two elephants in it (obviously from a nearby circus)

We both shouted to our two year old in the back, 'Look, Caolan, look at the elephants in that field!'

He looked out the window. 'Oh yeah," he said and went back to playing with his Bob the Builder.

Well, we were impressed at the sight of elephants in a Welsh field!
  • Sometimes it takes a lot to impress small children!
  • [quote=Seaview]Well, we were impressed at the sight of elephants in a Welsh field! [/quote]

so would I be, because with the amount of rain that falls on the plain in Wales, it'd be a tad muddy.
  • maybe they were Welsh elephants and used to the rain, or maybe they had wellington boots on
  • Jenny, you're so surreal it's wonderful!
  • Jennymf - now I'm picturing elephants in yellow oilskins, twirling umbrellas around with their trunks! :)
  • me too! What great pictures she conjures!!!!!
  • It would make a good theme for a children's picture book!
  • Yes I reckon so as well will get writing this afternoon, I even know what to call the main characture.
  • [quote=ceka]Although it's possible the Chippendales could also be written off as 'animal exploitation' ...[/quote]

I just snorted with laughter! Makes a change from ROFL, I suppose.
  • edited February 2011
    [quote=Jennymf]I even know what to call the main characture[/quote]

Give us a clue - even if it's just the initial!

Lou - if the Chippendales were being exploited, there'd have to be an organisation that rescued them. Then possible adopters could go and look at them and decide which one they'd like to take home.
  • don't tempt me ...
  • My name for the the elephant well, I have two in mind , so might end up with a herd if I think of any more . Esmerelda who is absolutly scared of mice and Dorcus who is a bit of a show off, plus friends who at the moment are nameless.
    Can we suggest this to their managment. [/quote] [quote=Jenny]Lou - if the Chippendales were being exploited, there'd have to be an organisation that rescued them. Then possible adopters could go and look at them and decide which one they'd like to take home.
  • You might not be limited to one - or would one be enough? ;)
  • what one elephant or one Chippendale?
  • Your choice!
  • well two chippendales would be a bit greedy
  • Got to share them around. :)
  • I could probably only handle one anyway
  • edited February 2011
    You could have one for weekdays and keep the other one for weekends and special occasions.
  • Why the hell are you women fighting over some old chairs? Have one each if you like them that much. But they are uncomfortable so don't blame me if you end up with sore bottoms.
  • It's a discussion, not a fight!

(Wonders if ST is actually a Chippendale in disguise)
  • Yeah the closest I come to looking like a Chippendale is resembling Alvin.