Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

starting up a new beginninmg

edited March 2011 in - Writing Problems
To Everyone

Hi I need a bit of advice as I would to start working on short stories and my main story like I did last year, only I have forgetton how exactly to start up properly, I was planning to create of short stories a bit like in Jr token has or harry potter, but I don't know how to start or go about it properly. It will be a hobby and something to do in between my gardening. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Phil.

Comments

• Phil- start by looking at the title of this thread...you've got an 'm' that doesn't belong.

Are you planning a 'series' of short stories? You seem to have missed that vital word in the paragraph above.

I suggest you write down your ideas and go from there.
    There is a lot of information on the web about short story writing, plus a few good books- which it might be helpful to keep handy so you can look back at the explanation for bits you forget.
  • The best way to start, imo, is to write! Once you've got something down you can work on the structure and grammar and all that stuff.
  • I'll see if I can find any helpful threads on the subject. And work out whether there are any gardening analogies or whatever the word is.
  • Think there are some useful ones if you do a Topic Search on

plotting

(that's plotting, not potting).
  • Here you go magic15, your very own dedicated blogpost.

I started my answer but thought it might be more useful to post it on my blog for more people to read:

http://stevenchapmanwriter.blogspot.com/2011/03/starting-from-scratch.html
  • There are also a few threads under

planning

and some, if you ignore planes and plants, under

plan
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]any gardening analogies[/quote] Topiary? Getting the first draft down is like growing a great big, scruffy shrub. You need to feed it with ideas and water it with inspiration. The editing is when you decide what shape you want it to be and start pruning and training it until it's just right.
  • Do you think it would help if you took one of the WN writing courses?
  • [quote=magic15]only I have forgetton how exactly to start up properly,[/quote]

... I can lend you my ignition key if you like?

or jump leads? or would you just like a push?

"heeeeeeeeave"

I suggest you think of a character that interests you, or rouses your curiosity and then ask yourself questions about that character, then just keep writing
  • you could start with
    Once upon a time, sorreeeeee.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Phil. It's not just the writing. You need to read and read which will help you progress. Also, a really good dictionary and book on grammar is a massive plus. Keep on practising too...and the very best of luck!