Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Improving' other people's books

edited March 2011 in - Reading
On My Life in Books (BBC2) Jeanette Winterson has just said that it wasn't until she read Jane Eyre for herself that she realised her adopted mother - who read it to her when she was a child - had changed the plot.

She had Jane marrying St John Rivers after which they became missionaries. Presumably she considered this a more worthwhile option than having Jane marrying Mr Rochester!

Comments

• :D
    When I saw the title I thought this was the fact that some writers can always tell you how you could make your novel better by...:)
  • One would expect, in that era, that the marriage ceremony would precede the missionary position. That's only proper.
  • Delicately put, PBW!
  • edited March 2011
    I saw tonights show JW`s mother was a bit of a tyrant , dont think she would know wht you were talking about PBW, inocent , just like me..... surely missionary`s had no position in life , did they???
  • I've always done that with my kids. Either due to becoming so bored with reading the same 'I want...again tonight' books or injecting a bit of mischief into well known plots. It's obviously more difficult to do now as one of my daughter's prefers to just read to herself. Sometimes though they ask me just to make one up. All part of the fun of storytelling, I bet they did the same thing around camp fires and in caves.