Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Microsoft Word 2007 an' all that

pbwpbw
edited March 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hello there Wizards of the WP, those who flourish with the keys or voice recognition software to create magic on the page. Are there any sorcerers amongst you who have graduated from apprentice and can tell me what to do when...

I have activated 'track changes' function and

I have done something (in page or para formatting) which has mucked up my margins and my indents.

What is the correct width of the left hand margin? I thought it was one inch (but whatever that is in centimetres). Size does matter.

What is the correct indent at the start of a new paragraph? I have lost the ability to stab the tab key once and get my indent.

Urggggh!

Is it possible for me to select the WHOLE document (we're talkin 97,000 words here, yes it's gone up) left justifty it ALL and then globally reset the correct margin size and new para tabs?
Can I do that?

Comments

• Control together with A = select all; and there's usually a left justify in the toolbar. Not sure about the rest.
  • dinnae ken what you're on about hen
  • edited March 2011
    Have you tried:

File
    Page Setup

and

Format
    Tabs

(Not that I'm saying this'll work. :) )
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Hello there Wizards of the WP[/quote]

Any wizard would be saving his/her money and using the FREE software Open Office or Libre Office (Google is your chum !) :)
  • Yes I know, Ha Ha - the Open Source v. Microsoft Wars. Thanks though.
  • Open Office drives you nuts after a while! (Well it did me) :)

Most of the settings for that PBW are in the Paragraph section under the Home Tab.

How many spaces you indent (controversial topic :)) is up to you entirely, just as long as it is clearly an indent.
  • mostly it's 5 spaces in for an indent.
    Don't use Open Office, it was designed specifically to send computer operators screaming into oblivion.
  • [quote=dorothyd]Don't use Open Office, it was designed specifically to send computer operators screaming into oblivion. [/quote]
    I suspect you're right. I've used Microsoft for years - too old to learn new tricks now.
  • It's not that different - everything seems to be modelled on Microsoft now.
  • pbwpbw
    edited March 2011
    Fair enough. I'll put Open Office on the 'things to do before I die' list.
  • [quote=dorothyd]mostly it's 5 spaces in for an indent.[/quote]

No. Absolutely not. This goes back to typewriter days when spaces were a fixed width. This is no longer true! Specify an indent in mm - I normally use 5mm. What is 'correct' for indents, margins, line spacing etc will vary from publisher to publisher according to their house style.

[quote=dorothyd]Don't use Open Office, it was designed specifically to send computer operators screaming into oblivion.[/quote]

Absolute bollocks (excuse my French). Open Office is a great program, continually under development, and a worthy competitor to Microsoft Office. And the support community is one of the most helpful I have come across.
    It is not identical to MO, of course (which I guess is why some people have trouble with it, having been brought up on the ubiquitous Microsoft); in some ways it is not as good, in others it is much better. For example it includes the ability to create 'styles', which MO never did. And, of course, it is free.
  • 5 spaces is standard for me, Rich! All our books go out like that. I also use five spaces for ALL the anthologies I am currently working on. You're doing a Diana Cambridge, making a sweeping statement (I emailed her at the weekend about her sweeping statements!) I know I do it but this is a generalisation, absolutely not, which does not apply to everyone. Especially my business and my anthologies. (15 of them).

Open Office has proved to be a NIGHTMARE for some people. Again, another sweeping assumption that we all like these individual programmes. The fact you need support says it has kinks and things. Right?????? why else would you need them??????????????????????????
  • I've tried both Word and Open Office and have to say I prefer Word. There were times when OO drove me crazy- now my husband has no problem with OO but hates Word...
    So I suspect it is something to do with the individual's way of working/processing...:)
  • I'm sorry Dorothy, but if you want to talk about 'sweeping statements' then 'Don't use Open Office, it was designed specifically to send computer operators screaming into oblivion.' is about as sweeping as they get. Over the years I have used Microsoft Office (from the days when it was a DOS program, i.e. before Windows) in a working environment, and now I use Open Office in a 'working' environment (OK, so I am long retired, but I still have daily use for a word processor for my writing, spreadsheets, etc). In terms of functionality OO is on a parr with MO. There are some things that MO does better, some things that OO does better. And OO does not always do things the same way as MO (but why should it) which is why some people, brought up on MO, have difficulty with it.
    OK, so some people prefer one, some people prefer the other - that's fair. But what is definitely not the case is that Open Office 'was designed specifically to send computer operators screaming into oblivion.'

As for defining a paragraph first line indent as 5 spaces: if that's what you want , so be it. But as far as I know there is no word processor or DTP program that allows you to define indents in those terms, so presumably you have to start each paragraph by typing 5 spaces, which would seem like a real pain! Your choice, though, and, as I said above, every publisher has their own house style which will define, amongst other things, the indents they use, the margins and all the rest of it.
  • Nobody tried Scrivener?
  • OMG looks like I've started something here...
  • [quote=dorothyd]You're doing a Diana Cambridge, making a sweeping statement (I emailed her at the weekend about her sweeping statements!)[/quote]

What's that all about Dorothy?
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]OMG looks like I've started something here... [/quote]

Sorry - I have a profound dislike of the 'xyz is rubbish' type of statement when it patently isn't true. And of course, when the statement is applied to something that I use and like, that is even worse, because it implies some sort of stupidity on my part for using and liking it.

Rant over! :-)
  • [quote=SilentTony]Nobody tried Scrivener? [/quote]

Not tried it. Is it any good?
    Looked it up and it looks a bit over-featured for what I need, but looks pretty good for novel writers.
  • I didn't mean anyone was stupid for using it and liking it, Rich! Don't put words in. Sometimes things are said tongue in cheek and then people react badly.

I wrote to Diana Cambridge to say not all editors require headers, footers and page numbers. She said she gets angry when people don't put them in, whereas all of us who edit for Static Movement (for starters) don't want that, it messes up the page layout when it goes to print, as some can't be taken out again unless you know the programme the person is using. The submission guidelines clearly state no headers, footers and page numbers. She used the word 'always' ...
  • [quote=richt]For example it includes the ability to create 'styles', which MO never did.[/quote]

Really? I use styles in Word all the time!
  • Ah, good news. They've caught up :-)
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Really? I use styles in Word all the time! [/quote]
    I do too.
  • PaperBackWriter, I LUV you! At last, someone as dorky on the computer as I am!