Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

32 Brinkburn street BBC afternoons

edited March 2011 in Off-topic
Anyone else watching this? I think it's excellent and should be on prime time TV.
It's a story set in two time periods, 1931 and 2011, to coincide with the 2011 census. It follows the lives of two generations of one family in the same house, comparing the problems thay face and how they deal with them.

Comments

• Haven't seen it, Kateyanne, but sounds interesting. It reminds me a bit of the kids' series, How We Used to Live, which we used to watch at school.
  • edited March 2011
    I've been watching it this week - I'm enjoying it. Some well-known faces in it.

eta - The woman who plays Gracie is the daughter of Beverley Callard - Liz McDonald in Coronation Street. Eva Pope is in it as well - wasn't she in Coronation Street?
  • Yes and the guy who played Trevor in Corrie, but who has just left wth Janice Battersby.
  • It is very good. I record it on Sky and watch it in the evening. I have also just borrowed, from the library, the DVD of the first series of Land Girls. This was also shown in the afternoon, last year I think, but I missed it first time round. They are both better than some of the programmes shown at prime time viewing.
  • The series seems to have finished shame as it had just got going.
    I wanted her to go off to America.
  • i enjoyed this series allso but how did the body rise from the celler up into the attic
  • Hi. Welcome to Talkback. Why not introduce yourself on a new thread on Welcome Writers?
  • Hi Joy welcome to TB.
    Re the body. They kept it in the cellar and then I assumed by what was said, ie re gran giving money for plastering etc, that they had a plan to hide it somewhere and as there were flashbacks to pictures of the skeletal hand behind the wall in the attic throughout the series then I thought that was where they decided to move it to.
    We also saw the father pushing the body in there, helped by his family, and him saying when he had done the plastering, ' noone must ever talk about this again.'
  • exellent, should make more programs like this, and put them on in the evening! exellent
  • edited April 2011
    So who were the 2011 grandfather's parents?

The 2011 woman was the head teacher in Waterloo Road.

By the way, they showed The Indian Doctor again at Christmas - that had been on at 2.15pm, too.

Hi, Cuddlymam. Welcome to Talkback. Why not introduce yourself on a new thread under Welcome Writers?
  • Jay - I think the deeds to the house were made out in the grandfather's name - which was Francis (McCourt?). They called him Frank, didn't they? Anyway, the same name as the Irish lodger. So, I presume that he was named after his father and his parents were the Irishman and Gracie. She was, presumably, pregnant by him when he left for America. Are they making a further series?
  • Thanks, Megrose. I don't know - it sounded to me as if the story had finished. But there's another short serial this week.
  • As far as I understood the story was done purely to coincide with the census and reflect the differences between different time periods in one place.
  • yes that's right but there is plenty of scope for another series. I suppose it depends on how many viewers it had.