Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is writing about food boring? (Correct room now)

edited April 2011 in - Writing Problems
Im currently a student writing for a magazine at http://www.thestu.co.uk/ hoping to get my first break as they seem to let students write for them and well its a place to start. I was just wondering if this is the best kind of topic to start with or if there are other options I should explore first. Should I be rewarded for a successful publication or does it all just add to the CV?

Comments

• We all have to eat at some point Shacks1.Welcome to Talkback.
  • Welcome, Shacks1! Food writing should not be boring - after all, we all have to eat to live. Enliven it, perhaps, with recipes from other countries, illustrated by photographs.
  • Only a bad writer can make a subject boring!
  • Oh and welcome, Shacks! :)
  • Hi, Shacks1. Welcome to Talkback. Do you prefer writing non-fiction, then? That may pay better than fiction, but every magazine is different. Does it say on their website if they pay for articles?
  • welcome to TB.
    It's a good subject, even though I would go nowhere near it, being someone who hates a) food and b) cooking! Best of luck with the work.
  • I love eating food....actually I have started to get the urge to cook and bake recently. I am not sure what is wrong with me because I usually avoid it if I can. ;)
  • [quote=Shacks1]Should I be rewarded for a successful publication or does it all just add to the CV? [/quote]

I'm a strong advocate of PAID freelance work! Every writer who writes articles for nothing hurts/undermines professional freelancers.
    As for article subject - I agree with Bored Robots.

Oh - and welcome to talkback, Shacks. :)
  • Hi Shacks,
    My two favourite subjects are writing and food, so I would certainly be enthusiastic about food writing. Good luck with it.
  • Welcome, Shacks. I love food, too, and enjoy reading about fine dining and complicated recipes while munching my cheese sandwich :)

If a writer is enthusiastic about his/her subject, that always shines through, so yes, go for it. I pretty much agree with Claudia that freelance work should be paid, but I guess at the beginning it could be worth doing some short articles for free, in order to get something on your CV. That's my feeling - others may disagree.
  • definitely agree. My early writing career was entirely unpaid but oh the CV it built!