Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Walking along the pier to the white house, white house'

edited April 2011 in Off-topic
Does anyone know what song these words come from? My sister saw an old episode of Doc Martin, where a group was singing a song with these words at a wedding, and she'd like to know who it's by.

Comments

• Googling it just brings this thread up!
  • I think it is an old shanty
  • Yeah I tried googling it Jay!
    An old shanty? Any ideas from where?
  • It could be anywhere from a small sea port to one of the old major sea ports like London, Liverpool, Bristol and so on.

There is a group of sailors somewhere in the country who sing shanties- aiming to keep the thing alive. They've been on the news and on tv programmes.
    Might be worth going that way.
    Alternatively write to the tv company or production company who made Doc Martin.
    Try looking up anything online on the Doc Martin series, you might find something that way.
  • [quote=kateyanne]An old shanty? Any ideas from where?
    [/quote]

my internet went off - then I got involved in other things. I was on a site looking at the lyrics of some shanties. I see if I can find it again. Thing is we would have to guess at the title.
  • [quote=Carol]There is a group of sailors somewhere in the country who sing shanties[/quote]

Carol, I think I may have seen/heard them in Swansea, docked up next to the museum. If it was them, they're very entertaining. :)
  • The ones I know of are from Port Isaac in Cornwall where Doc Martin is filmed. They're called the Fisherman's Friends.
  • My sister now says it could have been walking to the lighthouse! Sorry! That may make it easier to find now?
  • GRRRRRRR! :-)
  • The tv programme was Shanties and Sea Songs, it was repeated on BBC4 this evening.
  • :) @ bill