Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Britain has got talent 2011

edited May 2011 in Off-topic
I thought there was a thread on this but can't see it?
Anyway did anyone see that guy last night who made a picture out of marmite on toast? I thought it was brill.
I liked the guy from France who did the weird dancing, but wondered why he was allowed to enter if it's 'Britain has got talent' and he lives in France and just came over for the comp.

Comments

• kateyanne, there was a thread, but it was disguised in goat's kisses :)

No worries, this one will do. :)

That is odd, letting a French guy who lives in France enter.
  • They all sound weird to me , but then I did not watch it.
  • How could you not watch The Hoff?!
  • Ha. Did you see that film 'Hop' over Easter? He plays himself being a talent show judge. I love it when a star doesn't take themselves too seriously and even plays on their media persona to send themselves up. Good grace in that. He was funny too.
  • No I didn't. Saw him on the Piers Morgan show though last night.
    I loved Knight Rider!
  • edited May 2011
    Very easily Kateyanne he`s just not my cup of tea ( as Dora mentioned in a different post she would choose the English Rugby Team , If I have to choose a fellow a reckon it would be one of them as well.) cant understand why we have Americans judging the British and the British judging the Americans.
  • I liked the marmite toast picture! I also love eating marmite on toast.

The guy, Colin someone, who played the handbells tune with his wife a few shows back, works at the same company as my husband in Wallingford, Oxon. He is through to the next round, but I'm not sure how much further he wil get!
  • [quote=SilentTony]I love it when a star doesn't take themselves too seriously and even plays on their media persona to send themselves up. Good grace in that[/quote]

Yes, he has had the michael taken out of him a lot, yet he does the right thing, enjoys it and laffs too. :)

I like him.
  • I liked those bell ringers,Daisy.
  • Here it is
  • I've stopped watching this Kateyanne, but may watch the final when it's on.
  • Thanks for bringing this up again. I thought most of it was boring apart from the boy who played the piano and the girls at the start. Although the girls looked good I thought it was a bit dull compaired to their first performance.
  • I really wanted the biker to win, but Paul was good. Is Edward Dean still in it? He sang nursery rhymes.
  • I'm not sure. I hope so, he was great!
  • And the marmite one!
  • I think the magicians should have won last night they were superb.
  • Hey, who saw it last night? we had to go to dog training. Who were th enes in it and who were the ones who won? And what did the magicians do this time? I thought they would get through!
  • The woman was shut in a water tank and then the man ended up in there instead! Goodness knows how. They should have got through they were brill.
    The woman playing the piano got through and the boy band.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1392888/Britains-Got-Talent-2011-Next-JLS-boyband-New-Bounce-win-final.html
  • That sounds very similar to the trick they did in the auditions - maybe it wasn't different enough to wow the judges and make them think they have variety up their sleeves as well as more acts!

I'm surprised another pianist got through, but it's the public vote on this one isn't it.
  • Don't get me wrong, the magic group were amazing and should have gotten through on talent wise, but I am sooo glad Jean got through, purely for the entertainment factor, and just to find out what my grandad will say about her on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to the final now, because of her, because I cannot stand Ronan or New Bounce. I didn't like them at the first auditions and I still don't like them. Little children annoy me.
  • [quote=Liz!]I'm surprised another pianist got through, but it's the public vote on this one isn't it.[/quote]

No. She was put through by the judges. Top voted goes through on public vote and then the judges get to choose between 2nd and 3rd.
    They do it every year and I still hate it. Just do all public vote please, that's how the pianist got through over the bike stunt guy in the first show (2 judges voted pianist, other 2 bike), whereas all four put through Jean the keyboard player. Who, sorry Pix, I find annoying as hell (although, I wouldn't have had the 'ump about going through if she went through 2nd on public vote).

The magic act were great. Yes, it sounded similar but it was the seamlessness to the 'switch' and the added 'danger' factor with the fact that the girl was handcuffed and locked inside a tank of water that made it wow. I've seen lots of magic and illusion (on tv and live) and those two were good.
  • [quote=Jediya]Who, sorry Pix, I find annoying as hell [/quote]

I can understand why, Jed. I only found her amusing because of what MacIntyre was doing. Mum and I were in stitches, but realistically, the magic act should have gone through.
  • RedRed
    edited June 2011
    Unfortunately many excellent acts were not chosen, and we saw some brilliant acts. They weren't even given air time. Instead the judges have chosen a few good ones and the rest are dross.

Am off to see X factor this afternoon. Whether they can sing is another thing entirely.
  • Caught the end of this last night and that woman in the pink on the keyboard had us all in fits. :) :) :)

Surely she's entered just for a joke?

How on earth did she get through when that magician couple didn't?
  • I like that impersonator! His Louise Walsh was spot on.
  • I must say that I preferred the Brittany Spears lookalike the first time more than the second. She must have been told she couldn’t go nude live. I still don’t understand how she got through with three no’s!
  • She was awful.
  • [quote=st force]I still don’t understand how she got through with three no’s! [/quote]

It's called ratings.
  • Talk is that the show is fixed. Does anyone believe that?

Think the Scottish singer will be the one to watch, Jai McDowall. I also thought that the magic act was pretty amazing. Can't believe they didn't make it. I love magic.
  • I can't believe after all these years people still think TV is what they are told. It is all make believe and even 'reality' is not real. Do you really think people who have tens of millions in investment would really leave that up to the public? All people who ring up are doing is giving even more money to those already guaranteed millions from the show. The people who are even on stage have been pre-auditioned and selected. They have people scouring the country months before the show to find people who could be in the 'queue'. Come on were you all really that naive?
  • edited June 2011
    I agree ST, have always known these progs are fixed.
    The impressionist is my favourite at the moment. I hope he wins and not a singer or a dancer/dancers again. But if this article is anything to go by he doesn't stand a chance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1393766/Britains-Got-Talent-2011-Hoax-expos--The-devastating-indictment-Sony-Music-executive.html
  • [quote=SilentTony]I can't believe after all these years people still think TV is what they are told. It is all make believe and even 'reality' is not real. Do you really think people who have tens of millions in investment would really leave that up to the public?[/quote]

I saw some of BGT last night because the missus has been watching it. A girl singer got upset because the song was not chosen by her but by the producers. I don't know whether it was some kind of fix or just that they were trying to advise her, either way it shows that progs like BGT aren't true talent shows. That girl would have every right to be bitter about the people who run BGT, and that the public laps this formulaic stuff up is sad. ITV have hardly any creative output these days, instead relying on a constant barrage of singing, "talent", and ice dancing shows at the weekend.
  • edited June 2011
    ITV have always been lacking. They fail miserably at comedy so have to stoop to the lowest common denominator for figures. I've nothing against these shows if people watch them knowing the production in all TV is the same. I wouldn't expect real people to die in Casualty or a time machine needing to be built to film Mad Men. So I don't expect any other TV show to be stick to any rules of reality or fairness.

The thing is ITV needed all of this when they lost so much money. Reality is cheap so they produced loads of it. Now reality TV is becoming more and more expensive than other shows so it'll either be dead soon or will have to adapt.
  • Jai McDowall is by far my favourite, I was moved by his singing and I loved the song. I quite liked the girl, the judges were far too brutal on her. By far the strangest but still the best semi final so far.
  • [quote=SilentTony]They fail miserably at comedy so have to stoop to the lowest common denominator for figures.[/quote]

I think they did well with the comedy Benidorm, but generally their output is lowest common denominator. In a way I find it quite worrying that the public are so easily manipulated with programmes like X Factor. The Bread & Circuses idea lives on.
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]In a way I find it quite worrying that the public are so easily manipulated with programmes like X Factor.[/quote]

Everything you see on the programme isn't what it appears. Nor with the X factor. The TV audience is duped.
  • As long as you're not silly enough to pick up your phone and vote, what harm does it do, programmes like this?

You either watch it or you don't.
  • I agree, Dora!
    And as you know I love The Hoff!
  • :)

I think he's a lot of fun Kateyanne.

My boys and I really enjoyed watching JLS and Diversity, loved the colour scheme too, and I was hypnotised by that Razy bloke. Dead clever and dead bendy he was. :)
  • Kateyanne, just for you, I took this picture of the Hoff doing the crowds at BGT, just before I met him.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/Red69_2009/100_3023-1.jpg
  • You lucky thing, Red. I love the Hoff.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh Red that is fantastic! Thank you so much, you have made my day!
    You lucky thing. Did he say much?
  • [quote=Red]Everything you see on the programme isn't what it appears. Nor with the X factor. The TV audience is duped. [/quote]

Maybe that would make a good article, how everything is not as it appears on TV shows like BGT & X Factor.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Did he say much? [/quote]

He walked along the crowds, shaking hands and chatting, and he shook mine and said 'Hi!' and I said 'Hi' back, and he said, 'Do you like the jacket?' to which everyone around him screamed their approval! Genuinely a very nice bloke, and very tall. He took the time between acts to turn around and chat to the audience, too.
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]Maybe that would make a good article, how everything is not as it appears on TV shows like BGT & X Factor. [/quote]

It probably would DB. I have been to two BGT auditions and one X Factor so far (as well as other shows). But these lead the audience into preconceptions. How many of you think all those hundreds and hundreds of people waiting outside the venue are people waiting to audition for the judges?

Answer = not what you think.
  • Only a few 'chosen' ones get to audition with the proper judges- all chosen very carefully
    See this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1394147/Britins-Got-Talent-producers-investigated-Trade-tricks-try-secret.html
  • I luuuurrrrved that last act, those young boys, they were great (apart from teh one bum note one of 'em sang)

Hope they do well, as I hope Jai Mcdonagall-whatever his name is, does too, and Razzzzzzzzy.
  • The impressionist wasn't so good tonight.
    I'd like Michael Collings to win.
  • Yes kateyanne, I liked his voice and I'd love him to win and buy himself and his family a house as I'ved stayed in a caravan on my holidays and if his bedroom was owt like mine was, it surely can't be big enough for him :)
  • yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for Jai whatsisface hurrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaah