Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Online Comp. Submissions

edited June 2011 in - Website Problems
I read in my June WN that online submissions could now be entered for competitions, but I can't find anywhere on the site to enable me to submit. Can anyone direct me to the relevant section?

Comments

• https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writing-Competitions/Competition-Home.aspx

There is a list on the left hand side, so I would assume it is in there somewhere.
  • Click on 'WIN PRIZES' at the top of this page
  • Hi, Cooke7. Welcome to Talkback.
  • Hi Cook7 and welcome.
  • Sorry. My fault. Mistyped. Cookie7.
  • The main story competitions are under the Writing Competitions tab above.
  • Have already been through all of these links folks - they lead to a dead end - no e-mail address whether logged in to submit or no.
  • This is a job for Webbo.
  • Cue Superhero music!
  • Enter Webbo in his cape- no forget the cape, his normal work outfit will do...:)
  • edited June 2011
    Sorry, Cookie7. First I misspell your name, now we're off at a tangent. :(
  • Very odd.

It doesn't give an email address when I do it. But there is a further menu, then a list of comps and each one has an 'enter' or 'submit' button and then you upload the work etc. Do you not get that at all?
  • [quote=Carol]his normal work outfit will do[/quote]

... lend him your bra Carol :)
  • It works for the Writers Mag comps but not for the Writers News one - odder and odder...
  • Cookie, I'll alert Webbo and his techies to this thread.

Tam
  • edited June 2011
    You need to be signed in to see the 'submit' buttons for Writers News comps as they are subscriber only. You also need to have your online account 'combined' with your paper subscriber account (if you have one) which the tech team can do for you.

See the thread http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=178997&page=1#Item_31
  • I think, right now, we have a problem across the site. Will investigate your issue as soon as normal service is resumed Cookie! And welcome BTW :)
  • Thanks Webbo.
  • edited June 2011
    Okay, it seems we keep alternating between usable site and Runtime Error, but assuming the rest of the site is functioning when you see this, let's try to get this comps issue sorted, Cookie7

[quote=Cookie7]t works for the Writers Mag comps but not for the Writers News one - odder and odder...[/quote]
    When you go to this page, you should see FOUR subscriber-only competitions open for entries: http://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writing-Competitions/Writers-News/ And each one has a pic and small blurb. Can you get to that? If not, please can you explain what you do see? If you're not logged in to Writers Online, each blurb should end with "Please Login or Subscribe to enter this competition"; if you are logged in, you should see an Enter now button.
    Just to confirm, you are a subscriber to the magazine, and have registered your account and subscriber number with writers-online (not the same as registering for Talkback)?
  • Sorry for delay in replying Webbo - I'm subscribed with my subscriber number and can get the 'Login or Subscribe', but even when I am already logged in I repeat the login, and the screen just reverts to 'Login or Subscribe' there is no 'Enter now'
  • Rainbow Lou - does this apply to you?
  • Hi Cookie7,
    Would you mind giving me a ring when it's convenient please, and we'll try to get to the bottom of it (0113 200 2913).
    Best wishes
    Jonathan
  • edited June 2011
    I'm having exactly the same problem! ? I'm trying to enter the 'holiday' competition. I didn't put in my subscriber number though, because it only asked for my username and password.
  • Seaview, if you used your Talkback name and password it won't work, you have to set up another set for the rest of the website.
  • I'm going to call on Monday but just in case anyone is around this weekend and can solve my problem I'm posting it here.

I'm trying to enter the Crime story online. I have no problem uploading my story but when I click on 'go to checkout' I'm told 'invalid postcode' Is this because the postcode is French?