Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Basing a novel on a "true life crime"

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone knew how close to the truth a novel can be before being accused of being linked to a true crime.
I'm basing a novel on a true murder, so I know names, places would have to be changed, but I would like to keep the
crime as much as possible to the real one.
would I avoid any legal issues?

Many thanks

Comments

• Very much depends on whether there are people, who were involved in any capacity, still alive- is it within living memory? How long ago did the crime take place?

You would be better to take the basis of the crime and create new characters and places if it's the last sixty year- my opinion only of course.
  • yes it is a fairly recent crime - I have changed character names and places. However is it legal to use an almost identical crime scene, number of victims, and method or murder?
    I think that changing names places and even times is enough?
    I'm writing this crime in 2011 and not at the year it was committed
  • Personally I wouldn't consider that enough.
    But not being a crime-writer I will leave it to TB's who are to give you a more definitive answer.
  • okay - better safe than sorry. Last thing I wish to do is get into any hot water - thanks for the advice anyway
  • You risk comitting libel if your book can be identified as based on that crime and you say anything untrue about any character. Eg, if you suggested the murderer's mother wasn't nice to him, a victim's friend was a bitch, a policeman who investigated wasn't thorough, a witness had an affair, a member of the jury picked his nose. I think it's just too risky.
  • mmm - right. I think I get a clearer picture now
  • While you can't libel the dead, you can, as PM said, libel the living.
    You mentioned a number of victims, so that alone would help identify the real crime.
  • yes I see the problem. However due to this predicament I can see away around this, its such a good story that it can take quite a bit of change.
  • Good luck.
  • thanks - I'll see how it pans out before I do anything too rash. I would imagine it would be nothing like the original once I've finished with it.
  • Hi, Mad Runner. Welcome to Talkback. Why not introduce yourself on a New Discussion under the category Welcome Writers (that's the default category, anyway)?
  • edited November 2011
    Funnily enough, I am loosely basing my crime novel on a crime that happened years ago in the North of Scotland around Inverness. A retired policeman who has been campaigning for years to get to the truth of what happened. I do not want to spoil the story as I have added extra ingredients to my plot but without doubt, it is a thorny issue as there is always the danger that if you inadvertently chuck a stone, you might hit someone metaphorically. Of course change the names and introduce another element perhaps. However, do not get too paranoid about it or you run into danger of producing dull work which, although not criminal if you follow my meaning yet you owe it to yourself to capitvate the reader and do your best in order to get published. Relax and enjoy what you are writing as well or there will be no point, time enough to hone the rough edges with your editor or agent when the time comes. I think actually this fear if you let it get a hold of you too much, could result in writer's block. That really would be a shame for there have been countless stories written, based on an actual crime committed by authors such as Ruth Rendall, P.D.James, Lynda de Plante to name but a few.
  • Actually, editors and agents don't have time to 'hone rough edges' any more. Send a novel off in a rough state and it won't be read.
  • Liz, I was not suggesting a rough state as you imply, obviously margins etc have to be correct but if there are little niggles, an agent and the writer surely can work these out. Yes of course spelling must be A1 and the correct word usage
  • Have a look at 'Arthur & George' by Julian Barnes. An excellent example of a novel from a true crime using real characters.
  • [quote=Woll22]but if there are little niggles, an agent and the writer surely can work these out.[/quote]

Not in a first novel, if you are sending it to an agent. It should be as perfect as you can make it.
  • Funnily I am doing something similar, a detective who has been retired, pursuing a campaign to clear up the mystery of a woman who was murdered. In my story, the detective has been unfairly suspended and despite warnings from the antagonists, he is pursuing his campaign. I don't want to reveal too much as it will spoil it when it is published. It is in the embryonic stage at present but it is set up in the North of Scotland.
  • [quote=Woll22]... there have been countless stories written, based on an actual crime committed by authors such as Ruth Rendall, P.D.James, Lynda de Plante to name but a few.[/quote]

Sorry, but that made me chuckle. I like the idea that authors are going out and committing crimes in order to have something to write about.

At least it makes sure they get the details right!
  • Now that's an example of where a comma would be very useful (see comma thread) :)