Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Race For LIfe

RedRed
edited June 2011 in Off-topic
I'm doing my bit for Cancer Research UK tomorrow, donning plenty of pink (not my colour!) and taking part in the 5K Race for Life. I've raised around £200 in sponsorship, which isn't bad I guess. I shall be racing for all my friends and family who have suffered and succumbed to this disease, and for all those who continue to fight it.

Any other TB'ers racing, or have done already?

Comments

• Best of luck Red.
  • Good luck Red.

Do you run much, as a rule?
  • [quote=dora]Do you run much, as a rule?[/quote]

I used to, only as excercise, but I bust all the ligaments in my ankle 7 years ago and I had to stop. This will be more of a gentle jog.
  • Great cause not only in raising money but awareness too. Good luck Red.
  • Good luck! I have done it in years passed but not this year. Its a very worthwhile cause.
  • Good luck! I am also taking part, to support the cause and also to celebrate 1 year of jogging, starting from being completely unfit to managing a 30 min run twice a week. Hopefully I'll make it all the way round without stopping - that's my goal!
  • Good luck too, Lou.
  • Did it last week, do it every year. Great fun and a great cause.
  • Good luck too Lou and congrats BB. I knew you did it as I've seen some of the exhausted pics.
  • LOL! Really?
  • Well your Xmas one.
  • Ah, the reindeer run.

Here's the Race For Life:

http://thedorsetdiddlers.blogspot.com/
  • Great stuff. Looks like you all had a great time too.
  • Yep, it was a good morning. Not sure how much we raised - we normally send it off in one go.
  • Best of luck to all who've entered!
  • Good luck and a pat on the back to those that have entered.
  • Run well, Lou and Red
    Next year the London one will be a matter of days before the start of the Limpet Games - now THAT'll be a good craic in a good cause
  • Good luck Red and Lou and all taking part. Congrats BB.
    A worthy cause and relevant to many, many people.
  • Good luck Red and Lou!
  • Good luck to all that have entered. I did it a few years ago , but then I could hardly walk the next day ( bad back) so now I just donate money.
  • Well done BB and good luck and well done in advance to Red and Lou.
  • Red & Lou - thank you so much - really means a lot to me as I found out last Monday that I have breast cancer, got the biopsy results back yesterday and am scheduled for surgery next Thursday. I have advised lump that it is under notice of eviction and that I fully intend to be around to see niece get married (she's only just turned 3 and a half '-)) and you will be please to know that I've already got a poem out of the situation and I'm trying to figure out other ways to turn it into a writing opportunity - attendance onTalkback may be a bit limited for a while though. Main thing I've got out of the past week is that there should always be time for hugs - so anyone reading this - go hug someone you love!
  • Good for you Smaug I love your positive attitude. I am sure we all wish you well for Thursday. Maybe we should have a Hug A Day week, we never know what's around the corner for any of us.
  • Best Wishes Smaug. I hope all goes well for you on Thursday.
  • Sorry to hear your news, Smaug and best of luck with the surgery. We will be thinking of you on Thursday. I love your attitude too and what a good idea to think about writing opportunities. Here's a virtual hug (((((((Smaug))))))))). Now I'll go and hug my daughter.

The run went well - I did get round without stopping, even though I could hardly breathe at the end! 34 minutes. I'm so proud of my medal which I intend to wear as much as possible! It was a great atmosphere with lots of fun costumes and a sea of pink. I think if we do it next year we will try to be a bit more outre with our costumes as our loved ones found it hard to spot us - hang on, what do I mean if? When!

Having a Just Giving page for sponsorship has been really useful; people can make donations easily and hide amounts if they need to. When I was given real money I added it to the page with paypal. I also feel more comfortable asking people online than approaching them with a sponsorship form, as if they don't want to give there's no pressure. Modern technology is great sometimes, isn't it?
  • Smaug, so sorry to hear about that, but I hope that I and 3000 other women that raced around the park this morning will make a difference to research and treatments for all those touched by cancer. It CAN be beaten.

Due to the sheer number of people today, and the route we had to take, it did create bottlenecks, plus we had to race over loose shale at one point, and it was a blazing 32 degrees, so progress was hindered in some places, but despite the heat and the running surface, we jogged and walked and chatted to those around us, we were spurred on by spectators, and at one point we were behind a Stafforshire bull terrier wearing a green tutu! But the sea of pink and the crazy costumes made it a great atmosphere, and we passed the finish line in 53 minutes. I'm very proud of my medal, and I'm proud that I took part and I'm proud that I can make a difference, however small.
  • Smaug - empathies and virtual hugs and best wishes for Thursday - and for that wedding in 25 years' time!

Lou - 34 minutes for how far was your run? Well done!
    Red, you too, well done
  • Well done Lou and Red!
  • I hope it all goes well with your surgery. I hope you don't mind me posting, but I was DX two years ago when pregnant. It was aggressive and had spread. I've had every treatment, but as you can see, I am very much still here! I started sending stories off when I was recovering from chemo, it can work as a good distraction.

It's hard, but you get through it, and maybe learn a bit along the way. Best of luck, and to all those raising money.
  • [quote=ceka]Lou - 34 minutes for how far was your run? Well done![/quote]

5k (3 miles) so I'm chuffed with the time. But next year I'll try to get under 30 mins!
  • That's an excellent time. You're not in 'race' conditions, so getting through the crowds in that time is brilliant.
  • My best wishes for Thursday Smaug.
    Well done to all who took part.
    I did it about eight years ago, one of the best things I have ever done. As an old timer it took me 49 minutes but I was on a high for ages afterwards.