Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing Short Stories

edited June 2011 in - Reading
At the moment I am reading a 'How to Write Short Stories For Magazines' - and get published by Sophie King.
I am better at writing short stories than long ones so have placed my children's book aside and am going to work on them instead. By the above book I am realising what style of writing gets accepted for publishing and I recommend it to anybody who needs it. All my past short stories have been turned down.
Let's see now if I have any success!
Alana

Comments

• Thanks for the recommendation Alana, I'll look out for it!

I'm the opposite, have set aside my short stories in favour of focusing on my children's book!

Good luck with the stories and keep us posted!
  • I think i will look out for that book as well. I've joined the TB writing group which has really helped with my short stories. I've been guilty of writing a novel in 2,000 words instead of a short story! I'm hoping that this months submission is getting nearer the goal. I too had given up on short stories in favour of my novel and childrens books (it nice to know that i'm not alone michellez).

If you haven't allready send dora a message on the tb writers group thread if you fancy joining us. (i'll bump up the thread)
  • HI Alana

Funny that, I was in Waterstones y'day looking for books on that subject. They didn't have any.

[quote=Alana]I am realising what style of writing gets accepted for publishing [/quote]

The best way to find out what gets accepted for publishing, is to

"read your target market"

I can't give a better tip than that. I would suggest you read at least three recent issues to fully immerse yourself in what it is they want then give it a go.

Good luck Alana, and if you'd like to join us in Talkback Short Story Group, whisper to me on that thread.
  • Thanks for the recommendation. She writes an artical in WM. If I see her book I'll buy it.
  • Sounds like it could help a lot of us
  • Sounds useful, thanks.
    I too have temporarily put aside the short story while I concentrate on my novella.
  • Just to let you all know - the book above that I am reading was published in 2008. I live in New Zealand and got it through the local library - you will probably find it in one of yours as well!
    Alana
  • Goodluck Alana!
  • I'm considering giving up short story writing for a while as the markets are fast disappearing and I have, so far, THREE darned novels started but not finished. My name is NOT Magnus Magnusson!!
  • I think a change is as good as a rest

unless of course

it involves the heavy arm of the law
  • [quote=doodleysquit]I have, so far, THREE darned novels started but not finished. [/quote]

I have only one novel, but I have started it three times :)
  • [quote=doodleysquit]My name is NOT Magnus Magnusson!! [/quote]

Thats a shame! I quite fancied a chat :-)

DS you sound rather like me! Why not get one done before christmas? I have a big birthday next June and i've decided that i've got to start achieving something or else!
  • snailmale - And how many times for the red pen edit? I love editting and edit so much that by the time I've finished, my novels will amount to a mere 100-word drabble!

Amanda - Christmas! Why, but that's only six months away - aargh. Having a 'big birthday' looming might just give you a big push - is it an - ends in Zero - type of occasion? If so, have a party and it can double up as your book launch!
  • [quote=doodleysquit] is it an - ends in Zero - type of occasion?[/quote]

Yes Amanda will soon be TB's very own centurian

(is that the correct word?)

and I can touch my toes with the tip of my nose
  • edited June 2011
    Wow a centurian. I've got a couple of horses i could lash to a wheelie bin as a kind of rudimentary chariot. got a sword anyone... (Bindeseeya will be my new name!)