Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do you send postcards when on holiday?

edited June 2011 in Off-topic
It seems not many people send postcards now when on holiday, as more and more people email, use Facebook etc instead etc.
I collect postcards and I think it's a shame. I have lots that my gran gave me from the early 1900s.
They tell me a lot about my ancestors and their life and the pictures on the front show many scenes that have changed ie the promenade in Bexhill on Sea. History can be tracked on postcards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009180/Facebook-texts-mean-4-10-British-holidaymakers-longer-send-postcards.html

Comments

• Used to send quite a few but these days I only send one to my Mum, she's elderley and doesn't 'do' the Internet. I always try and find an appropriate view for her and write the usual 'nice weather-hotel etc'. It is a shame because like you say they are a useful insight into history, Mum has lots in her box of photo's from the early 20th century onwards, times change so quickly and even postcards from just a few years ago highlight these changes. She has collected postcards of Weston-super-Mare and the surrounding villages from flea markets and fairs and the local history society have used them in their displays from time to time.

It's a shame the trend is not to send cards but for me I probably just think if I'm only away a short time it's not worth the bother, but perhaps I should :)
  • I can remember postcards from my childhood visits to the seaside
    the ones that I always looked at where the ones with the XL ladies.
    I like to take my dogs with me so I book a coastal cottage.
    I do send a card or two with a scene I have painted on it.
  • I send very few these days, only 'duty' ones to my sister-in-law and the neighbours who look after our keys.
  • What's a holiday?

I'll buy postcards but not to send to people but as souvenirs
  • I've not sent a postcard since about 1991, simply because I found I'd be home from my jolly abroad quicker than the postcard would arrive. Now I just text, and I always phone my mom from wherever I am in the world.
  • Phone calls, texts, email etc are brilliant and immediate ways to stay in touch while on holiday. I collect postcards a bit and use them on a wall as a changeable art piece so I love them. When I'm away with the kids I get them to Skype their mum a few times during the holiday. This is a close way to communicate, show things they've bought/won/changed about themselves and is a true visual connection.

We do send her a couple of postcards too though.
  • I make sure my children write postcards.
  • I always send postcards.

I have a couple sent to a soldier in the 1st WW and to his mum. Hope to write about their story.
  • I love some of the photos on postcards, some are pretty fantastic and I buy them just for that.
  • Like Red, I find that I often beat them home so if I'm sending them, it's usually within the first couple of days of the holiday. Trouble is, it's a bit hard to come up with interesting news when you're only one or two days in.
  • I gave up sending them from abroad as they never seemed to get here.
  • You could always make it up, IG.
  • I think it's just as well not to have too much 'news' so early in you holiday. Wish for a quiet time!

We send one to OH's mum. And sometimes his sister, who does not do computers. But since our last actual long holiday was 11 years ago, our history has a gap. We do send them occasionally if we go on a trip, like to Cornwall the other weekend, OH's mum got one then.

We used to collect nursery rhyme post cards, mainly for the illustrators, and the messages on the back are all so sweet. I've still got them somewhere.
  • I love post cards but they are dying out, like birthday cards. It really brightens your day to receive a post card. I do send them, and I have sent 'epostcards' too.
  • I send postcards and if I'm going to a new country I usually send myself one also so I can add it to my journal. As I work during the school holidays, I get the teachers to send them in and we get them from all over the place. It's the highlight of the working day during the six weeks.
  • We send one to an aged Aunt who doesn't have 'anytthing to do with computers.'
    The grandchildren get one as well.
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=B Darter]who doesn't have 'anytthing to do with computers.'[/quote]

Except for the computers they were designed on, the graphics and photos were edited on, the computers that printed them, the logistic computers that managed the production and distribution, the computers that sorted stock at the various shops, the computers that sent money to pay to the supplier, the tax man for vat and the bank where they hold business accounts. That's not to mention the computers used for staff payroll, advertising, shop displays and hoardings. Then the computers used to sort the mail when posted, the postman's pay and route, shift, tax etc. The computer used to print the stamps and again all the distribution of that. This is not even taking into account the computers used to take you on holiday, whether it is in your car, aeroplane (so many computers on that journey!), train (again from buying tickets to making the vehicle move, routes, all the staff etc).

There are also many more computers involved in sending that little postcard to your 'nothing to do with computers aunt'. Who probably uses countless computers every day.

Don't mean that to be factitious, it just occurred to me that even people who are 'disconnected' form a technological world are still so reliant upon it and touched by it even for the smallest of things.
  • I try to send postcards from a 'new' place cos I know people like them
    I like getting postcards and proper letters, too, snailmail delivered. E-mails just aren't the same!
  • I don't send postcards, but I've always wanted to collect them from various places. I used to send the occasional post card back home, but since my grandparents come away with us (Maybe not this year though) I've not really had a need to. I usually spend a week telling people about it anyway...
  • I love postcards. Haven't sent them the last few times I've been away, but we're off to the Isle of Wight this year, and sending some postcards from there just seems right!