Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Digital with tears, well almost

edited July 2011 in Off-topic
Our Sudbury transmitter went off today, yesterday we had our dish installed - the chap told us we would not need our old remote control so we left it to one side. I switched on this morning to find, yes we were off. After us being both close to tears as it was a case of the blind leading the blind with all the business about post codes which we are not going to bother much about now until we get the new TV set orgnaised but it took a chap from Euro Aerials eventually when we did not get any joy from the number given, 08456 business, he told us to use our old controls, I bet that chap will get an earful. Some of these young lads think middle agers such as myself and the elderly are all cued up on techie. I know the Queen is but not everyone. Anyway until we get the new TV we bought all set up and organised, that might be a ball game and a half so keep your fingers crossed, we are using our current one with the Freeview set top box on top. Mind you, we have got the best picture we had for over twenty five years because we live in a hollow. I think the real problem is that the young lad also had a tight schedule. au revoir for now

Comments

• Digital = disaster here.

We were switched over 18 months ago and I can only watch via a dish. That means I can no longer use the TVs in the bedroom or kitchen. Whilst that's hardly a disaster, it is a shame to have two TVs that can never be used (here) again.
  • Of course you can BB. Run your aerial through a signal booster and split get a digital signal splitter fitted the other side, and run aerial lead to your other tele. You could do both but the signal would degrade too much before it got to the second, but you can certainly do one...
  • Tried. Signal was never good, even with the booster in the roof. I'm not alone - there's a whole area here that has the same issues.

Considered running leads from the dish but it's not practical in this house - three floors.
  • Have you tried signal senders BB? They are relatively cheap nowadays and you don't need to worry about trailing wires or installation fees.
  • For the first time ever with the digital switchover, we now have Channel 5. Before that we survived on 4 channels. The TV transmitter kept going down and we'd be without telly for days at a time, so I know how you feel Woll.

I don't think we were given enough info about the switchover and what to do.
  • Despite all the advances, I don't think we will ever get such good, reliable pictures or service as we had with analogue.

Even with poor signal, when they powered down the mast for some channels while doing work, in our kitchen we could still get a good B&W picture, and fine everywhere else. Now it just goes altogether or breaks up so much it's unwatchable. And evry time the darned fridge switeches on and off it make a noise.

And our lovely tele with a tube in the living room is going to be pampered and then mended until it can't be any more, its picture is way better than our digital teles.
  • edited July 2011
    I suppose it depends on what equipment you are using Liz. I agree that some old cathode TVs had a fantastic picture and an analogue signal could be rich. But if you compare it to a HD signal on a plasma or 1080p projector it's like going from monochrome to colour all over again.
  • I disagree! I think the plasma pictures are vile, the blacks are not black at all. I agree the resolution is brilliant, but I still don't think the pictures are that great. A standard definition picture will look crappy on the new huge teles... and a lot of tele still is standard, and if you don't sit right in front, even on the newer ones, even with HD, the picture is not as good. And if you have any sort of unusual weather conditions, even a storm, you'll lose picture altogether sometimes.

Bring back analogue!
  • I think you must have been looking at some dodgy TVs there Liz. My plasma is a good few years old now but the blacks are true black and I have no idea what you are talking about when you say the sitting position alters the quality. A standard signal may not look as good as HD that's true but it will be upscaled to look stunning all the same. Obviously this depends on the bandwith the channel is broadcasting with.

As you say a lot of TV broadcast is still standard, but there is so much HD now it's very rare you come across it. Obviously HD broadcast is only 1080i but it is still mind blowing if you watch a good BBC documentary, especially ones about the universe or natural history.You are right about the storms you can lose signal for a moment or two. This can also happen with roof top ariels though.

On the whole I'd much rather watch a good quality digital HD programme on a digital TV than anything else. Not to mention the Dolby 5.1 sound you can also enjoy.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Have you tried signal senders BB? [/quote]

Yep.

:(

To be honest, apart from feeling peeved I haven't missed it. I can still use the TV in the bedroom to watch videos and DVDs. But I used to tape Strictly - it takes two, upstairs and watch it in bed. Now I can't because I have to remember to switch the dish channel to BBC2 - and I always forget.
  • No dodgy TVs, Tony. Only dodgy digital. Not as stable.

We have several BBC friends who use their old TVs.
  • When the change over is complete the signal will be boosted so some of the areas who have a weak signal should have an improvement- apparently.
  • [quote=Liz!]We have several BBC friends who use their old TVs.[/quote]

I have friends who build cars but ride motorbikes. Makes no difference.

BB an improvement you'll have with digital is you can have recorders to catch shows in any room and watch from any room.
  • [quote=SilentTony]I have friends who build cars but ride motorbikes. Makes no difference.[/quote]

That's not the same at all. They don't BUILD TVs. They edit HD pictures, on all types of screen, high quality screens. The colour balance, reality, deepness of blacks etc is far superior on analogue.

The resolution is so much better on HD, and HD does much better blown up huge on the new TVs, but actually, a plasma screen does NOT give a good quality picture. Maybe they will one day, but at the moment, they don't.
  • Liz I'm at a loss how you can tell me my plasma TV which has a superior picture quality to my once beloved old Sony Wega CRT has a bad picture. I watch it almost every day I think I should know. If you calibrate a high quality plasma using HD content it leaves CRT for dead. No doubt about it. Maybe not in the past and maybe not now with cheap models. Maybe not even with LCD televisions either.

Also you can't even just claim blacks are better or deeper on CRT than plasma. It's not as simple as that. Where one CRT may have a deeper more realistic black level it may lose out to black detail that a plasma will provide. If you have a decent enough set and calibrate it correctly like I mentioned, possibly using the THX tool, then you'll match the black levels of CRT yet have a better dark detail. Add to this the greater colour accuracy and tracking, picture detail and resolution range and you have a far superior picture using HD content.

Maybe the people at the BBC are using HD CRTs which no home can really afford even if they were on the consumer market. The more money you have the better you get. If I had enough cash I could buy a digital 1080p Imax cinema that would blow any TV out of the water. But we are talking normal retail set here. Also if I have a choice I watch on my HD projector anyway. Better than any TV I've ever seen in my whole life.
  • Clearly a case of technical expertise compared to standard service installers contributes to end result, therefore perception of quality difference.

Certainly, when viewing television displays in retail outlets, here in south-west England; the larger screens appear to distort broadcast programmes. LCD screens present finest detail whilst plasma and other types project tendency of blurr, sense of beaded curtain appears especially when viewed from any angle other than ninety degrees to the monitor.

One personal experience is my parents treating themselves to a forty two inch flat screen plasma television. They had it installed by engineers from an independent high street shop. Imagery appears superb from opposite end of the twenty feet {six metres} long room. However, sitting closer and at side of the room presents a linear distortion to the picture.
    A colleague purchased his flat screen telly from one of the chains and had several call back visits in attempts to define colour density and sharp focus.
    Many households suffer regular bouts of pixelated imagery and living near flight paths apparently provokes freeze frame braocasting when 'planes operate.

Debate on merit of the various alternatives will, doubtless, continue in the same manner as those surrounding other fashion and style developments.
  • I think it depends very much on the way you look at things, too. For instance, many people prefer a digital (video) picture than one taken with a film camera. I prefer film, to me it looks more natural. Sorry, but digital pictures on plasma or HD projectors (and we do have one of these to use when showing films etc!) look 'flat' to me.
  • [quote=SilentTony]BB an improvement you'll have with digital is you can have recorders to catch shows in any room and watch from any room. [/quote]

Yes, been told that. But that means an investment in new equipment. What I have works, or worked. I don't want to spend money on new equipment that would otherwise have been fine for years.

The digital box I bought originally was OK until the switch over. I bought one for the kitchen too. Then a couple of years later and they were obselete. Not sure how many homes have the same problem here, but there have been letters in our local paper.
  • I know that is a frustration BB. You are fine then are forced to switch and either lose something or have to pay to have it back.

Liz I'll accept your opinion on this but seriously refuse to accept your point. I've not had a person watch a HD film on my projector without being blown away. People who have everything from CRTs to LED TVs. A few friends have gone and bought one after watching at my house. If you think these people who are involved in technology and media are so enraptured by such 'flat' pictures then I guess they must all be blind or something.

The quality of picture I have is comparable to that at the local Odeon only a hell of a lot smaller. Either you are not watching properly calibrated equipment or there is something in the setup that needs improving. It sounds to me like the old argument about refusing to switch to CD because you think the sound quality of Vinyl is better. Some think it is, but that's not a fact, just a matter of taste.
  • I do like the quality of vinyl better! MUCH better. I still have all my records and only ever buy stuff on vinyl.
  • Not sure what will happen when the radios get switched over either - I like a radio switched on on each floor - so it's not blaring out. Local shop loans out a digital one to check if you can use one before buying. That'll be three for me - another cost of the improved service.

I know I can (and do) use my pc to hear the radio, but I don't always want it switched on just for that.
  • Or buy some wireless headphones if you don't mind wearing them. I have a pair and they are superb.
  • I can see I have started something here. Anyway, we are now more or less sorted out, I typed out some instructions for Mum so she should be alright soon once she gets used to it.