Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Entering on Line

edited August 2011 in - Website Problems
I'm sure I found my way around here easily a week ago on how to enter a Writers News competition online but now all I get is 'log in' or 'subscribe' when the details of the comp come up. I cannot find anywhere to upload but probably am being stupid. Please say I'm not. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Not sure if these will help but here's the links for each competition header page.

Subscriber-only-competitions
    https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writing-Competitions/Subscriber-Only-Competitions/

Open competitions
    https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writing-Competitions/Open-Competitions/
  • I have just entered a comp online: it seemed to go so quickly, how can I be sure I've sent the right thing? I think I have, and I've certainly sent something and had it received, but is it possible to check what I've sent?
    This post comes with Full Luddite Alert flashing!
  • Thanks Jan for trying to help. I can do all that. I upload okay, it's when I come to pay with a UK HSBC card, they ask for a UK postcode which I don't have. Much easier with Paypal. Have emailed Jonathan but so far no reply. Maybe I'll just print it out and send it by snail mail like I always used to...

There's nowhere to check as far as I know, bertiebear. I'm sure you got it right!
  • edited August 2011
    I keep reading this thread and sorry, but I just keep thinking of the dangers, ie oncoming trains.

edited to say, I mean I keep reading the titile of this thread.

sorry
  • Any outcome would be welcome dora - even a head-on collision
  • Hello Fuchsia - sorry that this is causing you problems. Webbo proper is on holiday until tomorrow, which is why you haven't heard back from Jonathan, but he'll be back tomorrow. All best - Webbolina
  • Thanks Webbolina - maybe I'll hold onto my printed version for another day. Was just heading for the post office!
  • For the benefit of anyone else in a similar position:
    I've just spoken to Fuchsia about this, and it's not something we can fix from our side, unfortunately. Once your account is created on Writers Online, you won't need to re-enter your postcode, and the part that is causing problem here is registering for a securecode.
    With any secured transaction, part of the process happens between the user and his or her bank. We only link to the securecode part, you enter your password or details, then the bank confirms the transaction to us. Fuchsia's problem seems to be at the bank end, in setting up her securecode - ie the HSBC securecode setup (from a UK account) is looking for a UK postcode, but she doesn't have one!
    If you have already registered your card, and have a securecode, it shouldn't matter where you are, and you should be able to complete the transaction just by entering your securecode. If your bank account is registered in the country you live in, I also wouldn't expect there to be a problem, so this is quite a specific situation but please let me know if you come across anything similar.
  • I have had this problem for months - despite asking for a solution. It's nothing to do with bank details because WN entry is free. It just keeps looping back to 'sign in/subscribe' page even after several successful sign ins. Rubbish!
  • Cookie, yours is a different problem - and it is something we can sort out, I'm pleased to say.
    Your account on Writers Online is not correctly paired up with your subscription account. Please could you either email me your full name and postcode, [email protected] or call on 0113 2002913?
  • I've managed to get this sorted for you Cookie.
    If you could try logging in now with the same username and password you've always had, your account page should now display your full subscription "history", and Writers' News comps should now be accessible, as the system now knows you are a subscriber.
    Any more trouble, please do let me know.
  • Just wondering why you don't use Paypal? I've never had a problem entering competitions with that.
  • Paypal brings its own problems for us I'm afraid Fuchsia - but yes, it would make for a much smoother process