Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who believes in Chakras & Reiki?

edited August 2011 in Off-topic
Good evening,

Just wanted to ask people's thoughts on Chakras, Reiki etc. I've been doing some research about it the last few days & find the subject fascinating. I've felt something's been a bit out of synch for about 5 years now. I find it hard to relax & my speech & my thoughts are very hurried. Interestingly the throat chakra is linked to speech & creativity.....maybe the cause of writer's block?
I've ordered a Chakra hypnosis CD which should arrive in the next day or so.... I can't wait!

Comments

• It doesn't really matter if we believe in it, what matters is if you do.
  • My thoughts exactly PM.
    I personally think it's a load of codswallop.
    But, if you firmly believe in it, and it works for you, then I am possibly the one losing out.
  • If it works for you then go with it. Everyone is different.
  • No-one is more cynical about this sort of stuff than me-but a few years ago I was persuaded to have a Reiki session-not exactly sure what happened but it worked-one of the most surreal experiences of my life. She didn't touch me once but kept her hands about 6 inches above the body-but knew exactly what problems I had. Very weird-but the place I went folded shortly after and I've not been tempted to try anywhere else for fear of being disappointed ;)
  • [quote=red-lucy]but the place I went folded shortly after [/quote]

Why? Was it made out of paper?
  • This link may help you.

http://anybodythere.net/cgi-bin/paranormal-forums/YaBB.pl

It's a forum about everything supernatural. Ghosts, past lives, Demons, and Chakras & Reiki.

Enjoy!
  • I believe in it. I believe that some people will find ingenious ways to make money. There are things on The Real Hustle that are more convincing.
  • [quote=Andrew H]Chakras[/quote]

didn't she sing "I'm every woman" ?
  • I'm not sure about reiki, mainly because someone I know did a course and it was only about 12 weeks (if that) long and at the end she was qualified to do it. I just don't believe you can learn anything well enough to practise on people in that amount of time. That and someone else I know who is as thick as two short planks does it.

I have however been on the receiving end of the Bowen technique. I knew nothing about this until one day I hurt my back, rather badly, unusual for me. I was lying on the sofa, unable to move hardly, and the front door was knocked. At this time the front door opened straight into our living room, so I called out I was there but would take some time to get up! My friend Annie called back that that was fine, she'd wait. When I opened the door she told me to take my top off and lie on the floor. I did, very slowly! She then did the Bowen thing on me - it involved touching me very lightly indeed on various points, and then she'd leave the room for a while. It was weird. Very weird. But when she finished, I found I could get up without a lot of pain. By that evening I was cured. I simply could not believe it. But had to, as it had worked!

She never takes money, so it was not an ingenious way to do that! She is also a qualified physiotherapist, so not an utter quack.
  • My dad, who didn't used to believe in such, things swears by reiki. He gets it at this alternative treatment centre for cancer sufferers.

He says he feels heat all over his body and very relaxed. Best of all, for once he's in no pain.

I've never tried it myself, so I don't have an opinion.
  • edited August 2011
    [quote=Liz!] My friend Annie called back that that was fine, she'd wait. When I opened the door she told me to take my top off and lie on the floor. I did, very slowly! [/quote]

I'm sure I've seen that film but the caller was a female pizza delivery driver.

The thing is Liz your back may well have been better in the evening anyway. Spinal problems, especially those that involve swelling and nerve tension vary throughout the day. Quite often if you have this early then it will be gone or at least eased up by the evening.

edit: I'm not saying she didn't hep just saying these things are very complex and are really variable.
  • I think the important thing is to find something for yourself that you do believe in, if something interests you, find about it, if it works for you, go with it. Keep an open mind and it will always have the chance to be rewarded and refreshed. There are a lot of people making money out of other people by methods which may not have basis in science or fact but if it gives someone a purpose, a reason to get up in the morning then it has 'worth' to that individual. Believe in yourself and your own judgement , learning more about something is never a waste of time. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the hypnosis CD...
  • I've had Reiki and I have to say, I experienced some strange and interesting things. My Reiki practitioner told me she was channelling angels which quite frankly I do believe is a load of codswallop so this did instill me with a heavy dose of scepticism. I still don't believe in angels but Reiki is an interesting experience. I do believe it may have something to do with the electrical energy we all emit.
    But I think one of the good things about sessions like these are that they give the individual a chance to take time out from everything, have some real 'me' time, so believing in it or not, spending time on yourself and trying to relax and de-stress can do nothing but good.
  • Of course we emit energy through electricity and heat but I'm sure taking time to meditate or practice some relaxation techniques would do the same. Oh and they're free.
  • [quote=Liz!]I'm not sure about reiki, mainly because someone I know did a course and it was only about 12 weeks (if that) long and at the end she was qualified to do it.[/quote]
    If you believe in faith healing, reiki etc. then these skills or abilities are inbuilt and there should be no need for training at all. It's not like studying anatomy for six years to be a doctor. We're conditioned in our culture to respect certificates and academic qualifications but often they are meaningless.

I've no idea whether it works. A friend of mine is a practitioner and got me interested a few years back. I once stopped my son's nosebleed using it but who knows whether it would have stopped anyway.

[quote=Tracy]But I think one of the good things about sessions like these are that they give the individual a chance to take time out from everything, have some real 'me' time, so believing in it or not, spending time on yourself and trying to relax and de-stress can do nothing but good.[/quote]
    I think that's true. Meditation and reflection are good for you. In the end the mind heals the body whatever form it takes.