Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Grammar problem - that pesky apostrophe!

edited September 2011 in - Writing Problems
He was a maths' teacher.
or
He was a maths teacher.

I teetering towards the apostrophe, but something is telling me that because Brit Eng is Maths, and American Eng is Math this is wrong.

Dont' ask me why.

Comments

• I wouldn't use the apostrophe myself.
    But I'm certain Jay will know the answer.
  • No apostrophe here, Louise, cos it isn't possessive. Nor is it a contraction of "math is"
  • Agree, no apostrophe.
  • Thank you!
  • No apostrophe - it's neither plural nor possessive
  • Definitely no apostrophe.

Think about what you would do if he was a geography teacher. Or a French teacher.
  • It's the s that's putting you off. You are thinking along the lines of "he was the boys' teacher" but it isn't the same thing. If it was the American version without the s, there wouldn't be an apostrophe, and there shouldn't be one for the English version.
    If ever in doubt, try substituting another word and see what difference it makes.
  • bb is absolutely correct, as is everyone else who said no apostrophe. bb's explanation shows you exactly why.
  • Totally agree.
  • edited September 2011
    Yes, but isn't maths an abreviation for mathematics and therefore ' could be used to show there are missing letters? (As in fo'c'stle)

Or maybe it's like telephone becoming 'phone but now usually written without the apostrophe.
  • No, as it is now a word in its own right. Fo'c'stle is not a word in its own right.
  • OMG please don't confuse me any more than I am already!! :D
  • Sorry, Louise!

I do agree that without the apostrophe is fine.

[quote=Liz!]Fo'c'stle is not a word in its own right. [/quote] I wonder why not, LIz. Forecastle (which is where fo'c'stle comes from) hasn't been used since Tudor times. The word is in daily use (although not often by people who aren't involved with ships in some way, I admit)
  • [quote=Liz!]No, as it is now a word in its own right.
    [/quote]

I agree.

Phone is a contraction of telephone, but we don’t write ’phone. It is also now a word in its own right.
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2011
    Well - it's possible that there has been an exception and that it has been left with its apostrophes because focstle looks impossible to pronounce!
  • You are right, Liz, I don't think focstle will ever be a new word added to the OED!
  • You may well be right - although I think it looks difficult to pronounce either way.
  • Definitely no apostrophe!
  • I have to disagree with everybody else here.

There should be not only one but two apostrophes actually .

I know this because when a friend of my uncle once tried to give me some private tuition at his house the police who arrested him did rabbit ears with their index fingers when they said "He told he he was a 'maths' teacher."
  • [quote=kado]we don’t write ’phone. [/quote]
    Actually, we used to, certainly up until the early 60s. It's the organic growth of language that has turned phone into a standalone word, and not just an abbreviation.
    ST, I am very worried about the friend of the uncle. Or the 'friend' of the uncle. Or the 'uncle'. Funny how the entire meaning shifts, just from adding two little 's (that's the plural of ').
  • [quote=bertiebear]Actually, we used to, certainly up until the early 60s. It's the organic growth of language that has turned phone into a standalone word, and not just an abbreviation.[/quote]

Quite, that's the point. It becomes a word on its own by usage and loses its abbreviation.
  • I feel old - when I started writing, I used 'phone. Now I use phone - although with most characters it's now a mobile (not 'mobile phone' either, just 'mobile' - that one changed very quickly.)
  • Don't worry, PM, it's not just you.

When I was young if you'd tried to call someone on a mobile you'd have looked very silly with a fluffy bunny or an aeroplane sticking out of your ear.
  • Said teacher now teaches English!

;)
  • Couldn't help noticing as I passed a local business today that the manager was offering SKILL'S TRAINING.
  • To-day, anyone?
  • From the Old English to daeg, meaning on this day.
    In Middle English, tomorrow was two words, to morrow, in a sort of directional way. It lost that over time, otherwise "until tomorrow" would be tautologous.

Now see what you've started, Jay!
  • [quote=bertiebear]ST, I am very worried about the friend of the uncle. Or the 'friend' of the uncle. Or the 'uncle'. Funny how the entire meaning shifts, just from adding two little 's (that's the plural of ').[/quote]

In that regard, I love this blog: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/