Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sat or sitting?

edited December 2011 in - Writing Problems
Is this correct:

Frank Weaver sat in his room sipping a cup of tea laced with a tot brandy, his hands shaking.

Or should I instead write:

Frank Weaver was sitting in his room sipping a cup of tea laced with a tot brandy, his hands shaking.

Comments

• I'd go with sat...
  • They're both correct. Different forms of the past tense. Depends on where you're going from there.
  • Frank sat (down). Frank was sitting.
    In common usage, either will do, and strictly speaking, sat is the past tense of to sit. I sat, you sat, he, she, it sat, etc. I was sitting is the imperfect. (I hope I am remembering this correctly - grammar was a long time ago!)
    Sat is sort of finished and done with, whereas 'he was sitting' implies that there will be a 'when' afterwards.
    If your intention is to imply that he was fixed in the chair in a state of shock or fear, perhaps 'sat' is the more motionless of the two.
    This is like trying to decide how to spell a word, and the more you look at it the more wrong it seems!
  • I agree with Heather.

Just make sure you don't say 'He was sat on the chair...' That's wrong!

But 'He was sitting on the chair' and 'He sat on the chair' are both fine, and can mean very nearly the same thing.
  • edited December 2011
    Aha! This is my big (enormously HUUUUUGE) bugbear with you English!!! :D (Go Rosalie!) I always find it rather funny/odd/weird/wrong when you lot say, "I was sat at my desk..." or in this case, Frank Weaver was sat in his room... That's just weird - and completely wrong!

Frank Weaver sat in his room sipping ... or ... Frank Weaver was sitting in his room sipping
    Those two are both perfectly fine and correct, grammar-wise, grammar. Go right ahead and choose either one.
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]Frank Weaver sat in his room sipping a cup of tea laced with a tot brandy, his hands shaking.[/quote]

Get rid of the gerunds (-ing words) wherever possible and you'll find sentences become much tighter and you keep the tenses in order.

I.e. Frank Weaver sat in his room and sipped a cup of tea laced with a tot brandy, his hands shaking.

Using the 'Frank was sitting' is committing a two fold fictional faux pas - the use of the dreaded 'was' plus a gerund. Always try to reduce your 'was' usage with better structured sentences.
  • You can't out I 'was' sat. It is I was sitting. Or I sat.

I'd say the Frank Weaver sat in his room one also implies that he has just carried out that action...
  • I think I would probably say 'tot of brandy' ;-)
  • [quote=richt]I think I would probably say 'tot of brandy'[/quote]

Well spotted, I missed the "of" in that sentence!
  • And there was I thinking you had coined a new drink... something small, drink in one gulp, which simultaneously makes you smile and scream...
  • I wondered if 'tot brandy' was something in particular too.
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]Frank Weaver was sitting in his room sipping a cup of tea laced with a tot brandy, his hands shaking. [/quote]

... when the phone rang. So if something is happening, you could use this tense.

Otherwise stick with the first option.
  • We had this discussion in our writing group. It is sitting.
  • With shaking hands, Frank Weaver sat in his room sipping a brandy laced cup of tea.
  • Why did Frank sit in his room with a pair of shaking hands?
  • Then again, was it a pair, or was there just a mass of shaking hands around him?
  • "Aha! This is my big (enormously HUUUUUGE) bugbear with you English!!! (Go Rosalie!) I always find it rather funny/odd/weird/wrong when you lot say, "I was sat at my desk..." or in this case, Frank Weaver was sat in his room... That's just weird - and completely wrong!"

Island Girl, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, it's become so common in the UK that we even hear it from BBC presenters these days.
  • A former colleague of mine, prone to making disparaging comments about his non-to-active manager, would often refer to him as "sat sitting in 'is bloody office." Curiously enough, this seemed to describe the situation perfectly.
  • I've heard people say, "I've been stood standing here for hours!'" and always thought it was a Yorkshire expression. Maybe not?
  • I've just been re-reading my comment and it sounds a bit harsher than it was intended to come out. It's still perfectly true but was meant to be a playful dig rather than a full-on insult. So I must add, that although I do find it an odd turn of phrase, it's rather 'cute' and even comforting (in a bizarre way) when I read it or hear you say it. I'm well aware we Aussies stuff up the English language in many more ways than a simple 'sat' in the wrong tense.

Am I forgiven? ;)
  • Don't fret too much IG.

Sat is past tense and should always be used when writing past tense. 'Sitting' is a participle often used with 'was', one of my least favourite and most overused words in the English language. And don't get me started on participles.
  • Blow a tot of brandy, pass the bottle.

I want to sit and get drunk.
  • Educated people should
    Know when they're standing or have stood.
    Are you sitting or have you sat?
    Grammar can make sense of that.
  • Er, no, sat should not always be used when writing past tense. It depends upon what you are trying to say.
    For an action completed at the time of the narrative, use sat. So:

John sat in his chair when I entered the room.

For an action completed prior to the time of the narrative, use sat. So:

John sat down before I arrived. (possibly by the time I got there he was wandering about again.)

For an action competed in the past and continuing in the present, use was sitting. So:

John was sitting when I arrived.

Be careful about generalising about participles - Sat is also a participle, after all! :)
  • I've just read through this thread, only to find that Eddisbury has said what I was going to say.

Sat describes the action of going from a standing position to a seated one (although you could also have 'sat up' - rising from a more horizontal position). So, "Frank Weaver sat..." is fine, as long as your intent is to 'show' him carrying out the action of sitting down.

If the curtain rises on your scene with Frank already in his chair, you'd use, "Frank Weaver was sitting..."

By the way your sentence carries on, with its mention of sipping brandy, etc, I'd suggest you want the latter construction, otherwise you are saying that at the same time as he went from standing to sitting he also sipped his brandy (difficult enough, but then you tell us he has shaking hands...)

"I was sat" is a rather ugly construction, but you could use it in cases where you are using the past tense of 'to be seated' - i.e. in a passive sense, when somebody else 'sits' you somewhere - for instance in a restaurant: "Initially, we were sat right next to the toilets, but I complained to the waiter and he found a much nicer table for us." In fairness, I'd probably avoid that sort of usage, but I don't think it's actually wrong.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I need to go read a grammar book because I'm not sure what a participle is!

Red, you've given me food for thought. My latest short story (and probably all stories I've written) is replete with the word "was". Fiction writing is much harder than I realised, and I knew it isn't easy :-(
  • We've been happy enough for a long time with "The cat sat on the mat", DB, although this could mean the act of moving from a standing to a sitting position, allowing ambiguity.

Editors, I'm hearing in their blogs, dislike 'was' and other parts of the verb 'to be'. Active verbs are associated more with showing rather than telling, putting the reader more 'in the action' rather than watching from outside. It doesn't take much lateral thinking to shift from "She was beautiful" into the the reaction of the viewpoint character to her beauty, or indeed to change from "was sitting at the table" into Frank's plot-significant actions. This is a mind set that we need to get into to avoid 'telling'.
  • I'd use 'sat' if he was staying there, but 'was sitting' if he then went on to stand up (or fall onto the floor due to too large a tot!)
  • Sat - completed action
    Was sitting - continuous.
    My bearded collie understand this perfectly. I say, "Sit!" and
    he sits and then immediately stands up.
    I can't get him to understand, "Remain seated!" Don't suppose
    I ever will now cos he's sixteen years old. :)