Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Erewash Writers' Group - Short Story Competition closes June 2012

edited January 2012 in - Resources
A short story writing competition that may be of interest to you:

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

Maximum words = 1,500

Entry fee is £3.00 for one entry or £5.00 for two. £2.50 for each additional entry

First prize = £60 Second prize = £30 Third Prize = £15 and the first five stories chosen will be allocated one free entry to our next fee paying competition

AND chance to win a cash donation for a charity or voluntary group of your choosing.

Closing date for the competition is midnight (GMT) Wednesday 27th June 2012.

See website for full Terms and Conditions.

Comments

• Sounds excellent, thank you.
  • Thanks dora. I'll bookmark that - or maybe that should be EREmark !

:)
  • Thanks Dora.
    Glad to see your hardwork is now ready.
  • Hope it goes well and you get some great entries.
  • Thank you all for your comments. :)
  • I've just seen this advertised on another writing forum so it looks as though word will soon spread.
  • Oooh, let's hope so, PM. :)
  • I have put some info about your writing blogs on this competition site under "useful links." This is info several people gave to me on an earlier thread I started about blogs.

If yours isn't there and you'd like to know why, or if you want yours deleted, you can ask me here, or whisper if you prefer, or email me at the competition.

• Thanks Dora-just a question I can't seem to see how to pay if I enter via email? Have I missed it somewhere or is it a cheque the same ? :)
  • Hello red-lucy,

Yes you're absolutely right, it is a cheque the same. It is in points 13 & 14 in the Terms and Conditions but perhaps I need to add something extra to make it clearer about email payments.

Thanks for your interest, red-lucy.
  • Does anyone know of any where on line that advertises competitions, that I can approach about this?

I know only of Prize Magic and Sally Quillers.
  • Sally Quilford's site is used by a lot of people.
    Otherwise send the details to Jonathan at WN, he might have room to put it in a small slot somewhere.
  • I've sent the details to Sally Quilford but I think I posted them on the wrong page. :(
  • It's okay, Sally has kindly posted the details now :)
  • Just to let you know, the donation we will be giving has increased today.

See our website www.erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

for how a UK charity or voluntary organisation of your choosing could benefit from our competition.
  • Already entered, Dora.
  • http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/
  • Seeing as a lot of newbies seem to have joined us, I thought a shove up the old whatsit for this thread is in order.

Judge

Keith ‘Carrot Nappers’ Large

Carrot Nappers began Keith Large’s journey into playwriting. Originally published in First Edition as a short story, the play headlined the final night of 2009 Naked Stage season at The ADC Theatre in Cambridge in front of a sell out audience. This was followed by a trilogy of short plays at the 2010 Edinburgh Festival Fringe, which included Jeff Stewart (Reg Hollis from ITV’s The Bill) appearing in Keith’s headline play ‘Prima Donna Island’ and achieving further critical acclaim.

Prima Donna Island- ‘With Stewart on good form and showing no signs of his infamous police persona, it’s an arresting performance’- Edinburgh Evening News 20th August 2010.

Keith has still found time to write short stories. His humorous fantasy ‘The Tisbech Terror’ won first prize in Freelance Market News’s 2010 short story competition, along with a piece of reverse creativity, adapting his stage play ‘Whine Fever’ into a short story to win the 2011 PCS/Words national competition.

http://www.wordsmag.com/unioncomp7.htm

His advance into drama continues to go from strength to strength. The educational play ‘Racing Green’ is being performed by several schools across the UK and his anthem radio play ‘Talkers and Doers’ features BAFTA award winning actor David ‘Dai’ Bradley (Billy Casper in Kes) in the lead role.

www.carrotnapper.com

Keith is involved in this year's http://www.nationalshortstoryweek.org.uk/ taking place between 12th - 18th November 2012. Keith is behind arranging for radio stations across the UK to broadcast short stories written by writers participating in National Short Story Week.
  • [quote=dora]Seeing as a lot of newbies seem to have joined us, I thought a shove up the old whatsit for this thread is in order.[/quote]
  • We lived in Heanor and Ilkeston for nearly six years, but now live in Exeter, otherwise I might have tried this myself.
  • :)

You don't have to live in Erewash or the East Midlands, John.

We're accepting entries from everywhere and anywhere. The only thing is, if you have a good cause nominate, it has to be a UK charity or voluntary group.
  • Ah, ok, thanks. I'll give this some thought. :)
  • This is a great comp with a unique prize.
  • Thanks Tony.

In fact, the donation has been increased again as from today.

• For your information :)

this competition closes midnight (GMT) Wednesday 27th June.
  • OK OK OK, I believe you.....
  • I believe her too.
  • She's put it on every thread on cyberspace :)
  • And I've Tweeted about it too.
  • Let's hope someone enters, or there'll be hell to pay on here. :)
  • I think a couple of my writers group members have entered so that's me in the clear
  • [quote=snailmale]Let's hope someone enters, or there'll be hell to pay on here[/quote]

People are not forced to enter. I'm simply providing information in case anyone would like to.

Thank you, Betsie.
  • [quote=dora]I'm simply providing information in case anyone would like to.[/quote]
    I think you've definitely got that aspect covered! :)
  • Yes, well if a job's worth doing and all that :)

And thank you for including it in Writing Magazine/Writers News, Webbo.
  • This has to be one of the most publicised comps this year!
  • Hmm, I'm sure there are still plenty more places I could approach with this.
  • Bit late now - how many entries have you received?
  • Four.

One is from my mother. I'd know her handwriting anywhere and she always spells my name wrong.

One is from the guy at the bus stop with the false right eye. I know it's from him 'cos only the left hand side of the page is written on.

One is addressed to the most beautiful girl in the world. Looks like a winner to me.

The last one is cryptic, a handwritten note which says "2 pints only tomorrow please." I thought it started well but the ending was predictable.
  • I'll send the details round my writers group again.
  • I've just re-Tweeted it.
  • Carol, you DO know I was joking?
  • So has someone else.
  • Who is that someone else BB?
  • Nick Daws?
  • I knew you were joking about the four entries, Dora. :)

But it was a long time ago that the message was first sent out and it's always good to remind people again, just in case anyone has a story they wanted to enter and forgot about it.
  • So is it five?
  • :)

You beat me to it BB.
  • [quote=dora]One is addressed to the most beautiful girl in the world[/quote]

Is entering your own comp allowed?
  • Ooh, SM, you charmer! Dora, you're in there!
  • edited June 2012
    [quote=bertiebear]Ooh, SM, you charmer! Dora, you're in there![/quote]

Thinks bb might have missed the point !!!! :)

(You're right about the charmer, though. Always was...)