Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

E-pub creation software

edited February 2012 in - Writing Problems
Anyone out there using E-pub creation software that they would recommend?

Comments

• I use MobiPocketCreator as recommended by Kindle Direct Publishing. It's free and creates files in the .prc format they require.
  • Libre Office has a very good add-on that does this, so I guess most of the other word processors would also have a similar function. Try googling e-pub for your word processor.
  • thanks guys - Lilyc - I need to produce generic epub format not mobipocket specific. I use mobipocket for Kindle. Eddisbury - yes I have been googling and looking. I have downloaded one freeware one - that I cannot get to work. I shall try again but it doesn't seem to be recognising the file formats I have created. I may just buy Adobe, but was trying to save the expense.
  • Have a look at:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

This is well worth a try as a free alternative to MS. If the epub extension is not automatically installed, then go to Tools - manage extension - get more extensions online.
    The extension you want is Writer2epub. Worth trying before you pay for anything. I really like using thiis software.
  • The latest Serif desktop publishing package can convert into an ebook but I've not yet tried this.
  • I'm downloading libreoffice now and will test it. If that fails I will definitely buy Serif - thank you both.
  • two hours later and the openoffice option hasn't worked - thanks for the suggestion. Serif here I come - fingers crossed.
  • Turns out Serif is only £50 from Amazon - that didn't feel too bad. I just hope it does what it says on the tin :)
  • I completely misunderstood the title of this thread. I thought someone had come up with a way of dispensing Real Ale on line.
  • Before you uninstall Libreoffice, trying loading opening a text document. then: File - save. Then click on the writer2epub button which should be the green diamond 'e' on the left of the task bar at the top. (there are three of these so that you can set your preferences) When you click the writer2epub button it will tell you to save your document first if you haven't already done so. When you have saved it, clicking the button will bring up a window into which you enter all the details of your ebook, including giving you the option to select a cover. Enter your details and click ok. You'll then see an orange bar progess across the bottom of your screen and it will then tell you it's been done. You can then copy your ebook into an ereader. (mine always appear on the desktop, not documents folder. think this is the default.)
    I find it just as easy as exporting docs and pdfs.
    If you decide to go with Serif, well it's great software.
  • Afterthought - if you don't have those three green buttons, go to tools - extension manager. This will listall the extension you have installed. If writer2epub isn't there, click on get more extensions online.

Hope this helps.
  • I had installed the extension - I checked that, but as nothing was working and I have limited time to waste I've gone the Serif route. I read a couple of other reviews of the LibreOffice route and it seems I am not alone with having problems. Ah well. I don't doubt it would have been good if I had got it to work. I already use some other Serif software so it was not a difficult choice. Thanks for the help.
  • [quote=snailmale]I thought someone had come up with a way of dispensing Real Ale on line. [/quote]

:D
  • Just in case anyone needs to know - Serif is brilliant for both E-pub and Mobi - thanks Stan. :)