Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Manuscript format for WM competitions

edited April 2012 in - Writing Problems
Does anyone know if entries should be double spaced? The competition rules don't make it clear whether this matters.

Comments

• The T&Cs say they should be, but we'd be very unlikely to disqualify anyone for that reason on a digital submission - it would have to be ghastly, eg typed entirely in Cyrillic Dingbats, 0.5 line-spaced!
  • Bother! That's me out then. :)
  • :D

I've never understood the purpose of those Dingbatty, Wingdingy kind of fonts. I suppose if you are doing a Dan Brown kinda solve-the-word-puzzle-beat-the-villain-and-win-the-girl sort of a book, they're useful.
  • [quote=Webbo]The T&Cs say they should be, but we'd be very unlikely to disqualify anyone for that reason on a digital submission - it would have to be ghastly, eg typed entirely in Cyrillic Dingbats, 0.5 line-spaced! [/quote]

Thanks Webbo. How about Kanji? ;-)
  • Well, even then... I know rules are rules and all that, but I feel terribly churlish when it can be so quickly fixed these days! Hastily adding "On one or two." in consideration of the prospect of an entire comp's worth of reformatting!
  • The format appears to be double spaced, Font: Times New Roman (favourite) or Ariel, both 12 size. However, some comps allow single space if it is being sent electronically. So, the basic rule is: 'IF in doubt..ASK!'
  • [quote=toothlight]The format appears to be double spaced, Font: Times New Roman (favourite) or Ariel, both 12 size. However, some comps allow single space if it is being sent electronically. So, the basic rule is: 'IF in doubt..ASK!' [/quote]

Where does it say that? I looked at this page because I want to submit electronically:

https://www.writers-online.co.uk/Writing-Competitions/Competition-Rules/
  • You have to look in the open competition t&c's where it says:

"Manuscripts can be uploaded in pdf, doc, docx and txt formats.
    Short story manuscripts - please layout your entry in double spacing with a front page stating your name, address, phone number and email address. Please also state story title and word count."
  • ... And I just learned from Libby on another thread, details on the front, cover page, but no author identification with the main text?
  • That's right.
  • I've submitted my story. Fingers and toes crossed!
  • Good luck DB