Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to Enter WN Short Story Comps online

edited May 2012 in - Website Problems
I'm trying to enter the 'It was a dream' short story competition on-line. The instructions tell me to sign in and click on the competition. I keep signing in and clicking on the competition but nothing happens. I haven't entered on-line before - am I doing something stupid?

Comments

• Have you registered for that site? It's not the same as your talkback login.
  • That was going to be my suggestion too, Heather.
  • Hi Sally, when you sign in, what do you see at the very top of the page? It should change from "REGISTER | SIGN IN | SEARCH" to "Welcome Mrs ••• ••• | Logout | View account"
    If it stays on the former, try refreshing the page. This should also make the competition details change from "Login or subscribe to enter" to an "Enter now" button.
    Do let me know if that isn't the issue!
  • Hi Webbo, I see 'welcome Mrs S Jenkins' at the top of the screen - so it does look like I'm signed in but on the Subscribers' Only Competition Page, the only options against each of the comps is 'Login' or 'Subscribe'. There is no 'Enter now' button.
  • sallyj, this also happens to me with subcriber only competitions. Everything works fine for the other ones. I send my SO entries by snail mail.
  • Glad I'm not the only one, Kado. Perhaps I'll have to post mine, too - just thought I'd save money & hassle by doing it online.
  • I know Webbo has sorted out this type of problem before...
  • Sallyj, Kado - if the text still says "Login or subscribe" after you've refreshed the page, the system hasn't linked your online account to your print subscription. Please could you whisper or email me your full names and postcodes?
  • Okay Sally and Kado - I've found your duplicates and asked for them to be merged. Unfortunately I can't actually do it myself so it won't be immediate, but shouldn't be too long now!
  • [quote=Webbo]I've found your duplicates and asked for them to be merged[/quote]

Sounds a bit sci-fi!
  • Thanks very much, Webbo. I've now entered my story on-line but an error message did pop up briefly after I confirmed on the address and newsletter preferences page after uploading the story - something to do with an error saving the profile. But I assume my entry will have arrived OK?
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the feedback Sally. Your entry will have been processed, but we are having some lingering troubles... did you alter your contact details or newsletter preferences at all? If you did, unfortunately, I suspect those changes won't have been saved so you might need to do that again when the system is behaving a bit better. But at least we got past the first hurdle.
    Thanks for your patience
  • Hi, Webbo, it worked; everything seems fine now!
  • Hi guys. I recently entered the crime related short story competition online, but I'm a little worried. The site informed me that I would receive an email confirming my entry. The money has been taken from my account, but alas, no email. I entered over a week ago. Should I be bothered, or is this normal? This is the first WN competition I've entered, so I'm unsure of the protocol. If anyone can ease my fears, or otherwise, I would be grateful. I'd hate all my hard work to go to waste.
  • Hi Andy, welcome!
    I'll have it checked out tomorrow. If the process fails, the money shouldn't go out.
  • Thanks Webbo, I appreciate your help on this matter.
  • edited May 2012
    I had trouble emailing when the facility was first offered, (12+ months ago ?) and a nice lady at WM went out of her way to help me, and ended up taking my sub in the body of my email. Not entered for ages now, but there still seems a lot of problems, so if I actually complete my current WIP, I think snailmale will stick to snail mail.