Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Italian cook seeks job

edited May 2012 in Off-topic
My friend Massimo is looking for work as a cook in an Italian restaurant.
He makes excellent pasta and pizza and other dishes.
He speaks Italian (obviously!) Spanish and English.
Does anyone know of any vacancies in the UK?

Comments

• If his bum is extremely pinchable, then my kitchen is looking awfully empty. :D
  • [quote=dora]If his bum is extremely pinchable, then my kitchen is looking awfully empty. [/quote]
    I'll send a photo if you will ;)
  • [quote=liz young]Does anyone know of any vacancies in the UK?
    [/quote]

Presumably he does have somewhere to live - so where in the UK is he hoping to work?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Presumably he does have somewhere to live - so where in the UK is he hoping to work?[/quote]
    I am not sure he's thought it through, to be honest - I just promised him I'd put the word out wherever I could.
    Unemployment here is dire - about 30% - and Massimo is desperate enough to consider anywhere, but he'd need accommodation too.
  • Catch 22 - an employer would want to know he was commited to the role and if he doesn't have a reason to move to an area, it isn't there.
  • I think in recent years though there has been a lack of waiting staff in the UK, despite employment levels.

It may be possible in the summer months in the UK employers might take anyone from anywhere though I doubt they'd be interested in paying for staff acommodation too.

I knew someone who worked as a chef at a hotel yet if they wanted to stay at the hotel during the winter when travel to and from was extremely difficult (it was in a rural area) they still had to pay £30 per night themselves.
  • The Gvt is thinking of stopping some Europeans coming in to get jobs, due to the economic climate and unemployment in other European countries, it was saying on the radio yesterday.
  • I think the criteria for a non-EU chef coming in was that the position carried a wage of at least £28k, but EU citizens have right of entry anyway, I think.You're right that the Government is making contingency plans though, Liz!
  • Well, Massimo is Italian - that was EU last time I looked!
    He'd be happy to get work just for the summer, but the accommodation would be his downfall.
    None of my family in the UK have spare rooms - even I have to share my grandsons' bedroom when I visit.
  • LizLiz
    edited May 2012
    [quote=liz young]that was EU last time I looked[/quote] It was EU citizens they are thinking of limiting, under a special EU thingy they can evoke under certain circumstances - ie the threat of thousands wanting to leave their own impoverished countries. Apparently we already have limits on the two newest countries. I didn't realise that.
  • Sadly those looking for work in EU countries seem to believe we have jobs available, but our unemployment situation is as bad as some of the EU countries.
    I know quite a few people who want full-time jobs but can only get part-time work, and that isn't enough to live on.
  • Is there a publicatiion for the catering industry advertsising jobs? I know other professions have a monthly magazine.
  • There are catering magazines, but I think local press is possibly the best way to find work. Liz's friend will be at a disadvantage that he won't be able to attend interviews at short notice.

It's hard enough for people wishing to relocate within the same country without having to actually travel from another.
  • Thank you all for your input. I shall talk to Massimiliano later - perhaps tomorrow when he's recovered from the party on his roof terrace!