Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing for the Internet - Do you know how?

edited August 2012 in - Resources
This is from the site owner of Writers Dock http://www.writersdock.com

Writers Dock is a writing community and it's free to register there as a member. At the moment, this is also being offered as free, private group.

It'll possibly not be of interest to many of Talkback members who know what they're doing (unlike me who knows naff all), but I'm spreading the word around in case anyone else is interested.

Writing for the Internet - Do you know how?

http://www.writersdock.com

In our great age of the internet, the scope for writing and writers has grown bigger than at any other time in history. Of course, we know that the reason for this is obvious, but as a writer, are you taking any advantage of it?

In the age of the Kindle and other e-readers, and the ramifications of e-books on publishing and self-publishing, do you realise how important it is to raise your profile on the net? Are you using social media to promote yourself properly and gain readers?

I am setting up a group in our forums that explores everything to do with promoting yourself online - thereby gaining a readership - and writing content for the net, from writing technique to SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)

Edited to say I've taken most of this list off now as Sonny, the owner, seems to be getting a good response from his members inside the Dock but I will put the list up again once I know his final numbers and if he needs more people to join the group.

Comments

• Good info and ideas.
  • Thanks, dora. I've registered, but it took me about 8 attempts to read the hidden coding! Ridiculous!
  • Have joined. I totally disagree that you don't have anything to offer though. You are sensible, inventive and interesting.
  • Great TN and Liz.

Who are you totally disagreeing with Liz?
  • I think she's talking to her hubby and doesn't realise she's written it down.
  • You, dora. You say you know naff all but in fact you don't you know a lot.
  • :)

Liz, that's very kind of you to say so but in reality, when it comes to writing for the internet which is what this thread is all about, I really don't know very much at all. If I'm honest, what I have come to understand about it, I have learned by taking the scenic route :)

There are a lot of other topics I know naff all about, in fact, I would list them all for you to show you my total ignoramus state of being but I can't because I don't know what they are.
  • There must be a gazillion things we all know naff all about and one of those that i don't is Slovakian. Maths is another. I thought this thread was about the forum writers dock. Completely missed the fact it was about writing for the internet. i seem to be missing whole paragraphs lately!
  • Thanks Dora, I've signed up.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell] but it took me about 8 attempts to read the hidden coding! Ridiculous! [/quote]

Tried to register but "exceeded permitted number of attempts to register". Duh. TN, or Philip, is there punctation mixed in with all that lot, or is it just numbers and letters? Why can't they just use the ordinary captchas?
  • The trick is to see that the letters are a different colour than the bits and pieces around them... so you can pick them out if you know they are green for instance, or white. The confetti is there to confuse. I get extremely fed up with these things but this one was easy to get past as it is just noticing the colour.
  • Ah, confetti, I had no idea. I thought someone had just puked punctuation all over it.
  • edited August 2012
    I kept clicking for new ones until a four letter one came up. Yes, ignore all the dashes and dots all around it.

Edited to say - there are numbers too.
  • Mine was a mix of letters and numbers.
  • Have just popped over there and it's getting a good response from members, so you do right to register now if you want to join this group, .
  • pbwpbw
    edited August 2012
    Okay, let's have another go.
    Sofa so good.
    *leans back on sofa and sips coffee*
    Just waiting for my confirmation email now.
  • Just received my confirmation e-mail
  • Me too.
  • Aww, I haven't got mine yet. Sniff. :(
  • :)

It'll prolly be along soon.

They're defo working on it for you, Philip, and you other four who've registered. :)
  • It just arrived, but I have to do a questionnaire and post on the welcome forum. Off I go.
  • Whoops no. They've received my registration and sent me an email, but my account is not activated yet.
  • [quote=Philip]It just arrived, but I have to do a questionnaire and post on the welcome forum. Off I go.[/quote]
    I've had the e-mail saying do a questionnaire - but I can't see where I have to respond to the questions.
  • You have to start a new thread. I headed mine paperbackwriter and written in the box, same as here. I think that's what it said.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Betsie there should be a reply or start new thread button like PBW said.
    I'm Phil77 by the way. All signed up now.
  • Ah, I thought it was you.
  • Lil ol me, I had to comment on your thread as you sound like an experienced Donkey baiter. ;)
  • [quote=Philip]It just arrived, but I have to do a questionnaire and post on the welcome forum. Off I go. [/quote]

Are we all supposed to have done that? I haven't received any such notification. They must have liked the sound of you, Philip!!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Are we all supposed to have done that? I haven't received any such notification.[/quote]
    You should of received an email from them to confirm your account, and the final step in registering is to answer a little fun questionnaire. I know they had a backlog, I'm sure when Dora sees this she'll get on the case for you.
  • Ooooh, no. I didn't get an email. I've been black-balled.
  • When I try to log in, it says:

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

Is that you, dora?

Calling dora.
  • AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I keep trying to log in, and it tells me that my user name is currently inactive. This is what it says in fact:

The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.

BUT effing BUT you can't get to an administrator (who by looking in the fax is listed on the 'team' page) unless you are REGISTERED AND LOGGED IN.

I really can't be bothered if the site this badly worked out.

Can one of you ask an admin for me? My name is Lizz.
  • [quote=Liz]I really can't be bothered if the site this badly worked out.[/quote]

No worries Liz, don't bother then. I'm sure there is plenty of other things you could be doing with your time. :)

[quote=Tiny Nell]Is that you, dora?[/quote]

No, I'm not an administrator who logs people in.

What I do know, they are always fighting spam so have to undergo several checks before they can let people in. Tiresome I know, but at least it keeps the riff raff out as much as they can.

Also, as far as I now they are all volunteers, giving up their time, as are many other on-line writing communities that I've seen/registered with.

I have let them know you five were trying to register, so hopefully you'l get the all clear soon.

What I will do is go over there and have look and let them know you're all trying to various things.

Sorry I've not been onto it earlier but I was out cycling with my children, it still being school holidays and what have you in my house.

:)

Will be back soon.
  • Thanks, dora. I wasn't sent an email either, so can't follow instructions which was the alternative...
  • Okay I've been over, they say as I have told them who you lot are, all you need to do now basically, is go say "hi".

So if you can do that, do that, go in to Hello and introduce yourselves. If you can't do that, let me know again and I'll go back over there and see if anything else needs sorting out.

:)

Betsie, have you seen I've sent you a private message over there? :)
  • Cannae do it captain. Every time I try to say hello, I get thrown at the login/register page and then I get the message above again.
  • I'll go tell 'em Mme Lizbett.
  • Thanks, dora, I have a message saying I am now activated! I'm off to see...
  • Ok, I'm in! And there's a poetry section! I've enjoyed what I've seen, thanks dora.
  • Yes they like poetry over there

Have fun :)
  • Thanks Dora - I'll go and have a look - I'm finding it quite confusing how the site works (these bloody senior moments prevail!)
  • You four ie TN, Lizz, Betsie, PBW

should have received a PM from the site owner which links you to the thread "Writing for the Internet"

so if you have got that PM from him, and want to be in the group which this thread is all about, you need to go register your interest on the thread.

I see Phil has already done so.
  • Thank you Chief Dora for pulling strings. I've had my message and been 'interviewed' (I hope I wasn't too flippant). I suppose I now wait with bated breath to see if I've passed and am deemed suitable to join the Dockers. If not, I'll get out my stilettos and short leather skirt and get the attention of the *other* dockers instead.
  • I replied to his questions - I wasn't aware it was an interview for anything - one of the questions said what do you hope to learn from this? That confused me. I thought he was asking ME questions.
  • [quote=dora] At the moment, this is also being offered as free, private group.[/quote]

Just want to check, dora a few things which are puzzling me.

When you say the forum is being offered free 'at the moment' does that mean in a few months, weeks, days they might suddenly start charging?

I'm a member of a poetry forum which you can use free of charge, and use aLL the facilites, but you can opt to pay and then you can use colours, backgrounds, put up more pictures and the like. I used to pay, but then decided even £2.50 a month was a bit much so now I use it for free again. Is this the sort of thing that will happen? Or is it to remain free forever now?

Having had a quick look round, and from the greeting email, it seems that you have to 'interview' to get onto some of the forums. Can you tell me why? If it is to be a writing form, surely you should be able to use it all without thinking you might be turned away from one area of learning - how do they turn people away, and what for? Surely all comers will be able to give something, by experience or by the type of questions they ask, which might make someone who thinks they know everything realise they don't as it's a question they never thought to ask?

There's a lot to learn on internet advertising - shouldn't We be able to ask what qualifications he has to teach? Are we able to? I couldn't find anything out ont here about his.

I can't quite get my head round it - being a member of so many of these writing places, about 10, I am a member of one which even uses the same format - but not in the same way.
  • [quote=Liz]When you say the forum is being offered free 'at the moment' does that mean in a few months, weeks, days they might suddenly start charging? [/quote]

I don't know if they will suddenly start or charge in the future. I suppose it is always a possibility.

All I know is right now it's being offered as free, and as private.

I would think if they intend to charge they will let everyone know so you could make up your mind whether to continue or opt out.

[quote=Liz]backgrounds, put up more pictures and the like. I used to pay, but then decided even £2.50 a month was a bit much so now I use it for free again. Is this the sort of thing that will happen? Or is it to remain free forever now? [/quote]

I don't know. I'm not the site owner, Liz.

[quote=Liz]it seems that you have to 'interview' to get onto some of the forums. Can you tell me why?[/quote]

No. Didn't know you did have to do this. I don't use many of the forums. I've only ever been interested in short stories.

[quote=Liz]There's a lot to learn on internet advertising - shouldn't We be able to ask what qualifications he has to teach? Are we able to? I couldn't find anything out ont here about his. [/quote]

I don't think he is teaching. I think he has been down this route and is providing advice, from one writer to another.

I have asked him to PM you lot, so you have the link to the thread where he has told his members this new group is starting. Hopefully once you get that you can ask the questions to the guy himself who is organising it.
  • Thanks dora.

The fora (I have been to check and there are three!) that I have used in the past like this one are all similar, but quite complicated in some ways, and limited in many ways, to use.
  • [quote=dora]You four ie TN, Lizz, Betsie, PBW[/quote]

Yup, got questionnaire, answered questions, innit. Done & dusted.
  • *rolls up trouser leg, walks backwards, crows like a rooster and shakes hands with little finger tucked in*
  • AAaaarrrrgh. Gordon Bennet I find that forum hard to work. WHERE, please, please someone tell me is the August Challenge posted? I've done searches, looked in every corner, all I get is poems in answer to the challenge.