Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Raspberry-Pi

edited September 2012 in - Resources
Senior Moment (again) help.... Can anyone explain in idiot-proof language what a Raspberry-Pi thing is? Not the fruit sort - no custard or anything ta

Comments

• It's a weeny computer - well, it's a credit-card sized bit of electronic circuitry that you plug into your TV - that will be the screen - and your keyboard., which will be your keyboard, obviously.
    It's dirt cheap - priced in dollars, it's 25-35 $US.
    It doesn't look pretty, it doesn't look finished, it's missing the outsides; but it claims to be a word processor, and spreadsheet writer, and you can watch videos through it. How, I haven't a clue.
    Not available in the shops, but it could fit through your letterbox so you don't have to wait in for the delivery man.
    Google it, and you'll find everything you need to know, including a picture.
  • The idea is that it will be used to teach youngsters programming. As some political educationalist thinks children should be taught programming in primary school...

The only good news is that they will be making them in the UK-apparently.
  • They do make them in the UK but price them in USD, because all their bits and bobs come from the US and it's too expensive to get into currency changing, apparently. Also I think I read that the company have charitable status.
  • You can run several operating systems (OS) on a Pi (don't worry if "operating system" doesn't mean anything to you - think Windows or Mac OS X - they're both operating systems). The OS is provided on an SD card (the sort used in most digital cameras) so to use a different OS you simply swap the card. The default OS is Linux (a fast-growing OS).

You can find boxes to put them in on Amazon for a few pounds.
  • I ordered a Raspberry Pi in a fit of enthusiasm but am not sure what to do with it!
  • I'm tempted but there's a waiting list at the moment.