Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

POETRY competition

edited September 2012 in - Resources
Hi all, Jenny sent me this link thinking that it may be of interest to some of you. It's only for UK residents so unfortunately another comp I'm not eligible to enter. :(

Oh, and she says that she's not sure if it's mentioned on the website but on the form she picked up from her library, the rules say that a blank line counts as a line.
Good luck!

http://www.unitedpress.co.uk/free-poetry-competitions/

Comments

• I shall have to unscramble the grey matter and get down to some seriously half-witted verse, methinks!

Many thanks, Island Girl! ;-)
  • I have a poem I made earlier!
    Thanks IG
  • Me too Katyanne - e-mailed mine yesterday. Free to enter so nothing to lose.
  • Might have a go at the current, Local Poem Comp.
  • Isn't United Press the place that tells everyone they've won and then charges for the anthology the poems are put in?
  • If they like your poem, they send you a letter requesting permission to publish.
  • Hmm...
    will look when have got up to date with everything else. Thanks IG.
    Just had an email from one of those type of places Liz! - Poetry.com

Apparently they have been looking at the work of many poets for months now and have decided my poetry is worthy of inclusion in an anthology. I didn't read the small print ( mainly because I haven't got any glasses : see what were you doing just then thread) but don't think I'll bother with it.
    :)
  • edited September 2012
    Yes, Liz, I got a letter a few months back and I think the cost of the anthology was £17 (something like that). I didn't take up the offer :-)
  • They do try and get you to buy an anthology but you don't have to and the prize £1000 for the local poem is real enough. I'm giving it a go anyway.
  • http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=65974&page=1#Item_9
  • Thanks Liz. Have just sent an email to Jenny letting her know what you've said on here so now it will be up to her if she decides to go ahead with it. (She'd written a rather lovely poem about her town, too. What a pity.)