Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Military History/Memoirs Publications, Anyone?

edited October 2012 in - Resources
I've just discovered that a (previously-unknown) Great-Great-Uncle of mine was kiled in the 2nd Battle Of The Somme (WW1) on 22nd March 1918 by dint of unearthing some family heirlooms in a box, and I'm looking to research his history, etc, along with a couple of other ancestors, etc - but does anyone know of a suitable publication that might be interested in such 'potted' historical articles?

I don't think the stories would be long enough for books, now, due to the limited amount of information available after all these years, so I thought I'd aim for the Periodicals market - but I don't know where to begin! Anyone got any good suggestions, please?

Comments

• You could bundle those stories with other stories of the time. There are plenty of small press that might well take them off your hands in that fashion.
    It'll be a few days but I will dig up some details as we covered this a few semesters back.
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks very muchly, SL! No rush anyway - just a developing interest... ;-)

(Excuse the tripe spelling and grammar/composition of the first sentence, up top - it woz writ beefor me bedtyme! ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........)
  • [quote=B L Zebub]but does anyone know of a suitable publication that might be interested in such 'potted' historical articles? [/quote]

Have a look at Britain at War magazine.
  • Try 'Best of British' and 'This England' magazines - more chance if you have pics. I don't know if 'Soldier' magazine publishes historical potted histories.
  • Also, have you tried any local newspapers or a county magazine?
  • Thanks, folks!

I have a couple of county mags & newspapers on a shortlist (connected with birthplaces of prime characters, or the ares where the actions took place), and I'll look up the other magazines... ;-)