Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Describing weather in a story

edited November 2012 in - Writing Problems
Is it possible for there to be a frost, at the same time as there is "pounding rain"?

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm no Michaela Fish, but I imagine that the rain would melt the frost as it is warmer.
  • The rain would not have time to pound, the frost would be long gone. Have you considered hail?

Bumped into Michael Fish, the other day, in Waitrose; disappointingly he was in the ready meal section, just one aisle away from the fish counter. So near, so near...
  • Thanks TN and Mike.
  • [quote=dora]Is it possible for there to be a frost, at the same time as there is "pounding rain"?[/quote]

In different parts of the country, yes :-)
  • I've walked across a frozen stubble field in a hissing rain storm, so it's possible to have ice and freezing rain at the same time. Frost requires open skies in order to form.
  • Hmm.

Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    [quote=dora]Is it possible for there to be a frost, at the same time as there is "pounding rain"?[/quote]

No. Frost comes on still freezing nights - it's basically frozen dew and comes out of the ground.
    Rain is warmer and falls from the sky.
    The two are incompatible, in my view.
  • It MIGHT be possible under the right environmental conditions. Frost is accumulated by frozen vapour in the air, but also, rain droplets (rather than pounding rain) can freeze on impact (look up Ice Storms).
  • [quote=dora]Is it possible for there to be a frost, at the same time as there is "pounding rain"?[/quote]
    Yes, if I have too much red wine the night before
  • The rain is pounding against the windows as I speak (write) the drains aren't coping out on the road, I shouldn't think there will be a frost as well as that usually occurs when there is no cloud cover.