Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Duotrope is going paid

edited December 2012 in - Resources
http://duotrope.com/notes_current.aspx

Comments

• That's a shame
  • I know, it is by far the writing resource I use most, but as I gain very little income for my writing I don't know if I can justify paying for the service.
  • $50 does seem steep - I don't know what the average payment is on their listings (most of them seem to be non-paying), but I guess you'd have to be doing pretty well to get your investment back.

They've always been saying, "If everyone donated $5 ..." so I guess they're assuming only 1 in 10 of their users will subscribe.

I've only used it occasionally - and nothing I've ever found via them has led to a paid acceptance. I'd always planned to donate a portion of my first sale back to the site, but it looks like that won't happen now.
  • [quote=danfango]$50 does seem steep[/quote] I agree.

Their official announcement says only 10% of users have ever donated so I doubt they'll get 10% signing up at $50 a time.
  • There was a post on FB this morning and a lot of current users think it's too high. Some have said they can't afford the subscription cost for what they earn.
  • [quote=Carol]There was a post on FB this morning and a lot of current users think it's too high. Some have said they can't afford the subscription cost for what they earn. [/quote]

Yeah, that's the way I see it, Carol. Though it's my go to site so I may end up subscribing anyway. Does anyone know of other market listing sites as good as Duotrope? I know Ralan, but am less keen on that one.
  • Someone on that FB thread mentioned Writers Market.
  • [quote=forget-me-not]Yeah, that's the way I see it, Carol. Though it's my go to site so I may end up subscribing anyway.[/quote]

Excellent, we'll start a separate thread where we all let you know what listings we're after. It'll only take you 4-5hours a day to update us all on a daily basis, or twice daily basis, I've not decided which yet, or are you selfish???
  • I've looked at duotrope in the past and it really hasn't had much that interested me.

But I can see that for some writers if they subscribe they could be making a loss- not earning enough via it to pay for it.

And we don't know the personal circumstances of other writers. That subscription money might be needed for something else, possibly more important in everyday life.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that others who subscribe update them, Lee.
  • [quote=Carol]I don't think anyone was suggesting that others who subscribe update them, Lee. [/quote]

I was.