Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Having a baby when you didn't know you are pregnant

2»

Comments

• Sadly there are still a few Dr's like that.

I once complained to the hospital about an eye consultant I was sent to- he treated me like a five year old, and because he didn't explain my eye problem properly he left me with the impression I was going to lose my sight.

My diabetic consultant was furious when I told him what had happened, and immediately rang up and blasted them on the phone in front of me. My consultant was the top man in diabetic care at that time- he's since retired.
    The hospital replied to my complaint saying that the eye doctor had been spoken to. I made it quite clear in my letter that if I had to go to the eye clinic in the future, I refused to see him and would request another Dr.
  • Good for you Carol. They get away with it because no-one complains.

One time I was at the eye hospita the Consultant was explaining everything about my eye to a student who she was overseeing, and who was looking in my eye.

She was very put out when I asked why I hadn't been given any of the information, when it was my eye they were discussing.

I had to go back and back every 3 months as the pressure in one of my eyes is quite high - in fact it's high in both eyes, but one showed higher on one occasion.

i told them that I was using drops in that eye that came with a warning that the pressure gets higher in your eyes when using them. They took no notice at all.

I explained each visit that my optician wasn't concerned at all as he has seen me for 25 years and my pressure had been high but not dangerous and consistent for the whole 25 years. Speaking to him that it was just particular to me. They took no notice at all.

So after seeing them every year every 3 months, and I was then told that the next time, if both eyes were the same, I'd be discharged. The next time I went, it was a private practitioner group, to whom the whole eye pressure clinic had been handed to. What did he do? Gave me another appointment in 3 months. I suspected that they just wanted the money given to them for seeing me and complained and discharged myself.
  • [quote=Liz]One time I was at the eye hospita the Consultant was explaining everything about my eye to a student who she was overseeing, and who was looking in my eye.

She was very put out when I asked why I hadn't been given any of the information, when it was my eye they were discussing. [/quote]

You're the opposite of me Liz! I was in hospital a little over 20 years ago for an apicectomy (removal of tooth root). The surgeon had a student in the surgery and she was explaining in great detail what she was doing: "I'm just going to peel back the gum. There's the abscess on the root. I'll drill them both away then stitch up the gum". I did not want to hear that!

I've been back for the same operation twice more. Both times I took my headphones and my MP3 player loaded with loud music.
  • Ah, yes complete opposites. I asked to see my daughter born, without the curtain, if they had to do a C section. They said no-one had ever asked before. Why on earth not?
  • [quote=Liz]Why on earth not?
    [/quote]

Perhaps no one's ever wanted to see. That's possibly why they didn't ask.
  • Thing is, you can't usually see babies being born unless you're a contortionist, can you?

*bends over to check*

No, not a good view.

Think I'd rather see it after it had been cleaned up, weaned and was ready for school.

I definitely wouldn't want to see anything that resembled a scene from Alien.
  • BB, if you're having a C section you could see more than you want to if you're the unlucky type.

I've never been unlucky though, so, lucky me.

I was quite happy with the physical sensation of it all, but I defo didn't want to watch.

[quote=Baggy Books]I definitely wouldn't want to see anything that resembled a scene from Alien.
    [/quote]

:) Aww, they don't, I can remember each one ...."hums as drifts off into a world of long ago....."
  • But if you had a C section without a curtain, might you not see something horrid?

*knits booties*
  • [quote=Baggy Books]might you not see something horrid?[/quote]

What, Norman Bates lurking you mean?
  • *pulls curtain*

Yes, him.
  • I have searched my memories yet I really don't remember having my babies in a remote motel near a swamp.
  • That's good, surely?
  • I would think yes, because mossies can be a pain at the best of times.
  • Imagine the bites.

*smothers Brian in repellent*
  • LOL! I wanted to see the baby asap and I was curious to see it happen and I am not at all squeamish.
  • No, it couldn't! ;)