Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Erewash Writers' Group Competitions are open to all

edited January 2013 in - Resources
I've started this as I noted Cooper on another thread was upset as some countries are excluded from writing competitions.

EWG competitions are open to all.

We currently have two flash fiction and two short story competitions organised for 2013. Two of these competitions are FREE ENTRY. One of our competitions provides a donation and a UK charity or voluntary group of your choosing could receive this cash.

Please read Rules of Entry before submitting an entry.

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

If you'd like further details about each competition, and/or an entry form and Rules of Entry, see our website. Alternatively, whisper your email address to me and I'll be happy to send them through.

Thanks.

Comments

• Dora, can I ask you please, when submitting a short story, what is your convention for dialogue quotes -single or double?

Thankee kindly.
  • Just a reminder this free-entry competition closes Thursday 21st March.
  • I shall keep and eye on this, Thanks Dora.
  • Mine's in the post!
  • edited April 2013
    Shortlist and longlist are up.

If your entry is listed here, please don't identify which is yours for the time being.

http://writingworkshopsandcompetitions.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com

We have three further competitions for 2013

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-burst-flash-fiction-competition.html

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-open-short-story-competition---maria-smith.html

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-full-stop-short-story-competition---helen-baggott.html
  • My effort in the START flash fiction comp not even shortlisted. Pity, as I thought I ticked all the right boxes, but-hey- this competition lark is all subjective: the young guy who was the judge just did not appreciate my 'brilliant' entry!!!!!!
  • edited April 2013
    I've not been called "young" for a while :-)

I only saw the shortlist, so I didn't get the chance to appreciate it (or not). That's the problem with competitions - a different set of readers at the first stage would probably have produced a different shortlist. A different judge would have picked a different winner. It's all subjective, as you say, although you'd hope that the best stories will always be nudging their way towards the top of the heap.

Good luck with sending your entry somewhere else.
  • One reason why EWG comps are either free-entry or carry only a low fee.

The more we write, the better our writing becomes. As a result the more likely we are to produce a story that will be one of the best stories in the competition, nudging a way towards the top of the heap.

I will be putting the results on the website tomorrow after I have phoned the winner. Second placed and a third entry which received honourable mention have been emailed tonight.
  • [quote=toothlight]the young guy who was the judge just did not appreciate my 'brilliant' entry!!!!!! [/quote]

That made me chuckle.

Congrats to all involved. Sounds like another success, Dora.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks BB.

And yes, Toothlight's and Dan's comments made me chuckle too. :)
  • [quote=danfango]I've not been called "young" for a while[/quote] You're nought but a bit of a lad.
  • Dan has made his decision and I've been in touch with the finalists, so now, I'm

just about to put the details on the website!
  • It's true that competitions are subjective (but then the same is probably true of submitting to magazines, agents etc) But you haven't lost by entering, Toothlight - you've gained a piece of writing you could submit elsewhere or try expanding or including in something else.
  • Can't get into Weebly just now to put it onto hte official website, so here is a blog post

http://writingworkshopsandcompetitions.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/result-for-start-flash-fiction.html?spref=tw

Any Talkbackers in the lists?
  • pbwpbw
    edited April 2013
    Me!
    I won the Honourable Mention for my story You Start.
    It's my first EVER short story success, after all the duds.
    It does not behove a writer to say she is lost for words, and it's a cliche, so let's just say I am chuffed, thrilled and jumping for joy.
    I know how difficult it is to win an Erewash competition, and to receive such an accolade.
    Thanks a million Erewash, dora and Dan.
  • Well Done PB!
  • Congratulations, PBW!

I genuinely would never have guessed it was you - Dora removed all the entrants' details from the entries and I didn't recognise any of the writing styles. I thought "You Start" had probably been written by a woman but that was as far as my intuition took me.

The hardcover book pictured on my blog is - sadly - just a computer model. I wondered about getting a few like that manufactured, but I think they'd be too expensive (and I didn't think anybody would be interested in buying one). The paperback is for sale on Amazon, but I'm looking to set up a PayPal button on my blog so people can get a signed copy direct from me. I have a few at home so it would be good to sell them direct if people are interested.

Congratulations again, and may it be the first short story success of a great many. Well done.
  • I'll order one from Amazon. Thanks danfango.
  • Well done! I just spotted you on the list!
  • Well done all. My writers club has a member in the shortlist.
  • Well done PBW! I bet there are loads of entries of these because they're such good comps.
  • edited April 2013
    Hurrah for PBW !!

Drinks on you at Honiton, I think.
    http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_board/images/smiles/icon_winky.gif
  • Superb, pbw.

Well done, YOU!!

I didn't come anywhere either, Toothlight, but it sounds like our 'young' judge did a good job!
  • Well, I'm glad I started the blogger blog as I can't get the Weebly site to behave.

It's a tad irritating.

If you are trying to view the information on the weebly site, I am sorry but it's just so difficult. I don't know what's going on with it.
  • That must be annoying, dora, but it seems as if you've organised another successful competition.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]sounds like our 'young' judge did a good job[/quote]

For those that prefer their judges to be a little on the mature side...stay tuned.
  • Great news pbw, well deserved I'm sure and what a confidence boost.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]For those that prefer their judges to be a little on the mature side...stay tuned.[/quote]

*sings 'Doh, a deer' while waiting*
  • edited April 2013
    [quote=snailmale]That must be annoying, dora, but it seems as if you've organised another successful competition.[/quote]

Yes thanks S&M, competition was successful.

Right, well the judge's report is finally on the site.

Has only taken me about four hours BUT it's there. :)
  • Dan's reports are brilliant!
  • They are. I have always loved the story of the three little pigs and I am especially looking forward to reading that story.
  • [quote=dora]Right, well the judge's report is finally on the site.

Has only taken me about four hours BUT it's there. [/quote]

Well done for persevering, Dora. Very odd that Weebly is unco-operative to the point of you having to print out the report and scan it. If you'd like me to email you a PDF exported from Word, just let me know. I'm guessing you've had enough of fighting with the site for now, though.
  • Might be a good idea, Dan, if you will do that. What I have on the site now works but I'm sure it could be improved.

I had to keep loggin out of Weebly and back in again. Very odd, yes.
  • Congrats, PBW - and to the other winners and shortlistees too, of course.
  • Yes, thank you, dora. Life goes on hold when technology doesn't work. It can be so frustrating.
  • Dora, I have had this problem with Facebook this week, I'm logged in, go and look at something, coming back to my newsfeed and have to log back in. Yesterday on a comping site I use, a few were complaining they'd had to keep logging in with one of the woman's magazine sites.

So there may be a problem somewhere.
  • http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

I can' t even get in to Weebly today.

Can somebody else try and see if it's just me, please?
  • dora, is it similar to the Wordpress hack? I hate to ask, but do you have a really strong password? You don't use "admin" or "123" for your username, do you, or anything really easy to crack? I don't want to insult you, but these things are important and sometimes people overlook them. A password is like a lock on a door, and you have to make sure it's a strong one.
  • Thanks for your suggestion, PBW, but yes, I do have a strong passwords.

I am back in now. I think it's a general prob with my computer.
  • Okay. I did google "hacking" and "weebly" and a bit of stuff came up. I can't really take a view because I haven't used it and I'm not familiar with it.
  • [quote=dora]Might be a good idea, Dan, if you will do that. What I have on the site now works but I'm sure it could be improved.[/quote]

Note to Self: Don't offer to do something then bugger off for the weekend. Sorry, Dora - I'll send that to you as soon as I can.
  • [quote=danfango] bugger[/quote]

:)

Sums up life perfectly.
  • Winning stories on the website now

:)

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/winners-2013.html
  • I recognise a Talkbacker in that list of three.
    Well done that TBer. :)

And congratulations, Dora.
  • *blushes prettily and twists hands in a knot*

"Aaaaaaw, gosh!"
  • Well done ladies and enjoyed the story pbw.
  • Well done!
  • Oh, I left a comment... somewhere... about this.

pbw, I read yours first and loved it. So intimate and real.

I enjoyed the others, too.