Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Urgent: Shorty Competition 31/03/2013

edited March 2013 in - Resources
Do you have a short story on your hard drive or under a pile of books that isn't quite finished or you don't know where to place? Or a diamond of a story that you've been meaning to place (or write?!)

Plymouth University's Short Fiction journal is looking for entries as a matter of urgency (enter for your moral code, if not your writerly dreams :)) The journal could close due to lack of funds.

deadline is tomorrow, tenner entry fee. Google the journal for entry requirements or email me and I'll send you details.
gvw1776 @ hotmail. Com

Thanking you.

Comments

• Sorry to hear about the lack of funds, but that entry fee's way too steep for me!
  • [quote=Dudess]tenner entry fee.[/quote]

Good luck, but a tenner is way over the odds for a bog-standard comp. What's the prize? (Just blogged my latest to the world, FOC)
  • Just googled it and £10 covers two entries and a copy of the journal, which usually costs £10 (though that seems very expensive for a journal to me)

Prizes are £500 and £100.
  • I guess £500 might be worth a punt. Too much for me though.
  • edited March 2013
    Sorry ten pounds is too expensive for me too. :(

But you're welcome to enter this :)

max 1,000 words for £1.50 one entry, £2.50 two entries or £3.00 three entries (£1.00 thereon)

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-burst-flash-fiction-competition.html

or this one for £3.00 one entry, or £5.00 for two (£2.50 thereon)

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-open-short-story-competition---maria-smith.html

or this one, free-entry

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-full-stop-short-story-competition---helen-baggott.html

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/index.html
  • Way too expensive for me too, sorry.
  • dora, those are the best entry fees I've ever seen!

Hip hip hooray for the Erewash Writing Competitions.
  • :)

Thanks.
  • 'if your email is clearly stated us '
    What's that mean, Miss? It's in your Burst comp info.
  • edited March 2013
    [quote=Tiny Nell]dora, those are the best entry fees I've ever seen![/quote]

dora's rates are very competitive.
  • *nods*

Yes, Dora offers value for money on so many levels.

Dudess, where have you been hiding? Hope things are going well for you. Some of us are meeting in Honiton on 20th April - it's still a long way for you...but if you're in the area?
  • Yes, £10 way too expensive- especially in the current financial climate.
  • [quote=snailmale]dora's rates are very competitive.[/quote]

Even though I haven't set them with a view to being competitive.

I set them in order to make sure the prize fund would be covered, and to make sure there were funds for freebie comps at other times in the year.
  • Sorry, I can't afford a £10 for a competition! I do like Dora's one's though, I think they're so well priced.
  • £10 seems a lot to me too.
  • Hiya - thanks for all your responses, will go back to the editor with the steep tenner fee. Perhaps if it was lowered to......(suggestions?) more people would enter? I entered last year, and the journal is full of great stories, but I appreciate it's pricey for people who enter competitions regularly.

Honiton on 20th? Will have a look and see if I can arrange childcare, would be good to catch up with real writers :)

I can't believe how fast this year of being a new Mummy has flown by; went back to work part-time in October and now all of a sudden we're in March and trying to find Spring. Did finish my MA at long last, the biggest piece of writing I've ever undertaken, and now digging out my creativity again after it hibernated on me.

Glad you're all well!
  • edited March 2013
    [quote= Dudess]Did finish my MA at long last[/quote]

Phew! Well done.
  • edited March 2013
    Good to hear from you, Dudess and congrats on being a new Mum – and finishing your MA.
    Just looking at your original post - yes, I also think £10 is a bit steep, especially for the prize on offer.
    As an example: the Bristol Short Story comp entry fee is £8, but the top prize is £1,000 - plus it's quite a prestigious comp to win. And if memory serves, Bridport flash fiction entry is £10 -but again, I think the winner gets £1,000 - plus this is a seriously prestigious comp.
    Without wishing to undermine any other competitions out there - I think a competition has to be a big one (whatever that means) to command a £10 entry fee.
    Finally, I'm afraid I agree with Heather that £10 for a journal sounds expensive – but as I haven’t seen it, maybe I shouldn’t be too judgemental?
  • [quote=Dudess]I can't believe how fast this year of being a new Mummy has flown by; went back to work part-time in October and now all of a sudden we're in March and trying to find Spring. Did finish my MA at long last... [/quote]

Wow, you're a busy person.

Well done on finishing your MA and congrats on being a mum.
  • I agree with Claudia, for a highish fee the comp needs to be prestigious as well as offering a good prize.

There are dozens of free to enter competitions (sometimes with good prizes) and hundreds with entry fees below £5. To ask for a higher fee the competition needs to offer something the others don't.

Congratulations on finishing the MA.
  • Well done on both the little one, and passing your MA.

As said unless a competition is a very high profile one with a good prize, writers won't enter at that price.

£5 is the limit for many- and even that may be too high in the current cash-strapped world, which is why Dora's writers club contests do well on entry numbers.
  • [quote=Carol]which is why Dora's writers club contests do well on entry numbers.
    [/quote]

... which is ONE reason, Carol, why EWG comps do well on entry numbers. :)
  • [quote=dora]... which is ONE reason, Carol, why EWG comps do well on entry numbers. [/quote]

Of course, Dora, I was generalising. The other reasons are too numerous to list. :D