Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Open Short Story Competition - closes September 2013

edited May 2013 in - Resources
Erewash Writers' Group

'Open' Short Story Competition 2013

May I invite you to enter our 'Open' Short Story Competition 2013, closing Thursday 26th September.

There are six cash prizes (three in a 'New Writer' category and three to experienced writers) ie

£60, £40, £10 to three entrants in the 'New Writer' category

and

£60, £40, £10 to three entrants in the 'Open' category.

We also have a donation to give to charity and entrants can nominate their favourite UK charity or voluntary group for our cash. At the close of the competition, we will pick one name out of a bag. In 2012 our competitions raised £100 for two UK hospices.

Full details at http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2013-open-short-story-competition---maria-smith.html Please contact me if you'd like an entry form and Rules of Entry.

You can either contact me here (whisper if you prefer) or email me (see website).

:)

Comments

• Thanks for the reminder Dora. - Besides after such a delightful invite it would be rude not to put something together for it... pressures willing.
  • Thanks, SL.

I will remind you all a bit nearer the close date as well.

Look forward to reading you. :)
  • I love how you combine the comps with support for charities. It's about time Webbo had an article about you in one of his magazines...
  • Hey! Sounds good! I'll mention it at Evening Class tomorrow.
  • Thanks PBW, that's very kind of you.

[quote=Baggy Books]It's about time Webbo had an article about you[/quote]

I think I have to contact them rather than they contact me, so I'll have a think about putting something together and then ask them if they'd like to put something in the mag.
  • edited May 2013
    Subtle hint Webbo. Sort it out.
  • Thought I'd remind everyone who wants to know about this.

Feel free to tweet it, facebook it, circulate the news anyway you know how. :) I can email you a flyer if you like.

Also, have just had an email today about who will be the judge for next year. :) Can't wait to tell you all but you will have to wait for the time being.
  • [quote=dora]Thought I'd remind everyone who wants to know about this.[/quote]

:)
  • Although there is a new thread ....

[quote=dora]Thought I'd remind everyone who wants to know about this.[/quote]

:D
  • Yes, my entry has gone in.
  • Thanks, Sue.
  • Yes please send me an entry form - but which category?
    Do the rules define the difference between New and Experienced?
  • @ Lizy

You're a new writer if you’ve never had a paid article or story published in a magazine, newspaper or on-line and if you’ve never won a competition or been runner-up (regardless of whether it was published or not).

You will still be counted as a ‘New Writer’ if you’ve done none of the above but you’ve written (or posted work on) a blog; had letters published in a magazine or if you’ve written for a non-profit making publication and not been paid (eg: an article for the local parish magazine or a school magazine).

If you’re in any doubt, email Debbie who will tell you whether you qualify as a ‘New Writer’. If you think you might be ‘borderline’ then please avoid the ‘New Writer’ category.

I'll email you an entry form now, Lizy.