Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Books about writing - what have you read?

edited January 2014 in - Resources
I want to add a page to my business's website for books about writing for writers - books that potential clients may enjoy.

I've read a few that I'm happy to recommend. But have you read any?

As I may not have read your recommendation, I would like to either quote directly from your reason to recommend (and attribute the quote to you, perhaps with a link to your Amazon page), or edit your quote if you wish to remain anonymous.

My email address is on my profile page, so contact me via there if you don't want to go public with the full content of your recommendation. If that's the case, perhaps also post something here so that others may benefit from your suggestion.

Comments

• Stephen King "On Writing" seems to be the one everyone mentions but I have found The Positively Productive Writer by Simon Whaley (Compass Books) to be a great book for motivation. Whether you are a beginner or someone who needs to be geed-up there is something in it for you. Simon has written hundreds of articles but also a number of non-fiction books and he writes short stories too. He is a tutor for writing courses and events so he has not only tried out the ideas himself but has shared them with his students too. I'll PM you the link to my Amazon review for it if you like.
  • 'Writing Down the Bones - Freeing the Writer Within' by Natalie Goldberg. Never has a subtitle been more accurate. Reading the prose in this book is like plunging into a pool of silky words that tickle your senses, snip the bonds of insecurity, and let your creativity fly out to light the skies. On the back of the book it says she believes in subtracting the rules for writing not adding them... it works. I love this book.
  • Interesting suggestions - I've decided just to list the book, its cover and info. Didn't want to turn the page into a review site.

Still have a couple of my own to add, so any more suggestions can be added as and when.
  • I've read quite a few How To books and my stand out favourite in terms of the one I got the most out of was Sol Stein's 'Solutions for Writers'. It covers fiction and non-fiction.
  • Thanks, Claudia. That one doesn't seem too easy to locate so I can't recommend it on my site. I've saved a search on eBay in case a copy appears - it does have excellent reviews.

As for the other suggestions on here or by email, I've bought a couple that I hadn't read - I'd like to read them before adding them to the site.
  • For absolute beginners "Becoming a Writer" by Dorothea Brande with foreword by Malcolm Bradbury. First published 1934 - my copy dated 1996. Sounds like it may be outdated but it does address the writer's psyche and some consider it a 'classic'. Don't know if it's still in print.
  • I have a copy of that on my shelf somewhere- probably a later edition.
  • I have too - it's good, but doesn't touch 'Writing Down the Bones' in my opinion, but then, it is a different kind of book.

I think you should read a variety, especially when you are just beginning. Everyone is inspired by different stimuli, instruction and encouragement.
  • I agree with Liz about reading a variety of books on writing. I've read Becoming a Writer, Writing Down The Bones and On Writing along with several others, including my favourite: Solutions for Writers. And they all have something to offer. Really, it's then down to the writer to use the advice wisely.
  • You'll have to excuse me if I'm not accurate on title and author, but I found Your Writing Coach by Jurgen Woolf very interesting and helpful. It was very positive - a few others I've read were a bit discouraging but I found it motivating.
  • I've often found that bits from different books have helped- that's Claudia's "use the advice wisely" comment.

For example I found 'The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing' helped me with my character profiles, but I couldn't have worked with other major bits of it, though I know Megrose (who used to be on Talkback) found it very useful.
  • I've read dozens of How To books on novel writing. They necessarily repeat each other since they cover the same ground. I enjoyed Stephen King, but didn't find it gave me as much as some others. Like Claudia, I found most benefit and motivational fire from Sol Stein's Solutions for Writers, perhaps because I had done most of the things he wrote about, so it clicked as true for me. I reduced it to notes and return to it from time to time.

Another good one for basics was The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman - lots of 'writers' common sense', as you would expect from him. Another one that motivated me to write was David Fryxell's Write Faster, Write Better. Most of them ended up as notes in a folder on my pc.
  • First Draft in 30 Days, by Karen Wiesner
  • I have now bought a couple of the suggested books that weren't already on my shelf. Sadly they have too many typos for me to recommend.
    I've decided I can't add any to my site if I haven't read them - but please keep the suggestions coming in.
  • Common Errors in English Usage by Paul Brians - this is an American book, so take care. But it's very useful if you either work with American writers or aspire to write for the American market.

• You Can Write a Novel by James V Smith Jr. It came in a boxed kit with a WM subscription and is the best little book I've ever read on how to structure a novel, step by step.
  • Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell - I won this book, can't remember how, but I found it an enjoyable and informative read.
  • I've read:
    Writing a Novel and Getting published for Dummies (both the UK and US versions) - A very good one to read for starters. It gives a great overview for the entire process and great for reminders and pointers.

On Writing by Stephen King - I don't like his fiction, but someone let me borrow this to read. It wasn't much of a writing tips book, more of an auto biography. The helpful information he offered could have been squeezed into a few pages.

Stein on Writing by Sol Stein - The best book by far. Crammed with useful information. I would highly recommend anyone that wants a career in writing to read this. It doesn't give you much on plots or storylines, but will really help improve the way you use your words. Each suggestions is given a very clear description of why you should do it, and it makes a lot of sense.

I've also read several of Holly Lisle's suggestions and tips over the years and find them to be useful. From getting your creative side into gear to work for you to plotting your story and even revising it. There's a guide for all of it and various courses you can join and work through with others too. There's bound to be at least a little something for everyone on her site.
  • Ah ha - another Sol Stein fan. I found his book the most helpful and practical of all the 'help' books I've ever read.
  • I've recently finished 'How Not To Write A Novel' and did find it quite useful although I don't think it's one of the best