Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Opinions please: Writing dialect

edited April 2014 in - Writing Problems
I'm messing about with a piece involving dialect, first person, and trying to strike a balance between readability and authenticity. Reproducing a paragraph below using both styles. Comments and criticism welcome.

1 Authentic (sort of)

"Soon after I’d started with Janis, Freda announced ‘er were up the duff, an' ‘er an’ Tite would ’ave to wed. This come as a shock to Tite, cos Wolverhampton Sally ‘ad just told ‘im the same thing. Tite were most confused as to what to do, but as Sally were in Wolverhampton an’ Freda were in Foundry Street, an' ‘er dad ‘ad promised to break Tite’s legs if ‘e day marry ‘er, ‘e thought it most prudent to wed Freda."

2.More readable?

"Soon after I’d started with Janis, Freda announced her were up the duff, and her and Tite would have to wed. This come as a shock to Tite, cos Wolverhampton Sally had just told him the same thing. Tite were most confused as to what to do, but as Sally were in Wolverhampton and Freda were in Foundry Street, and her dad had promised to break Tite’s legs if he day marry her, he thought it most prudent to wed Freda."

If I do decide to drop aitches and 'd's' will it look better without the apostrophes indicating the missing letters?

Ta.

(It's a short story, not a 100,000 worder! )

Comments

• I stumbled over the first one, SM - I found I had to read one word at a time, so it's not smooth. You'd have to have the apostrophes, I think, but I'd trim it a little: her dad'd promised as opposed to dad 'ad seems just a little smoother. Sally'd just told 'im - losing the extra a makes a big difference.
  • The readable version still gives a good impression of the voice. I'd keep the aitches and dees where you have to and otherwise use contractions like Mrs B suggested.

The first version is tiring to read and all the apostrophes get in the way. I rarely get past the first paragraph is stories written like that, I'm afraid.

The 'day' confused me a bit - I assume it means didn't, but I would lose that.
  • I think the narration should be 'proper' and just the REPORTED speech in dialect. I don't think the RECORDED speech should be in dialect unless you put it in quotes.
    e.g. no 2
    Soon after I’d started with Janis, Freda announced she was "up the duff," and she and Tite would "have to wed".
    Yes - you need to put apostrophes to indicate missing letters.
  • I found the first version quite readable, but I'm sure I would tire of it if it went on too long. It reminds me of Dracula where the scenes set in Whitby are written in Yorkshire dialect. The dialect is difficult to understand and there's so much of it that it makes the chapter virtually unreadable.

Like Heather, I didn't understand day but worked out from context what it meant.
  • Yep, agree with all that's been said.

The first one was a bit jerky to read - which is a shame as I enjoyed reading it in the northern accent and could hear the voice. I just think too many abbreviations interrupt the flow and might get irritating in the long run, though would be fine in a short passage.

Is there a book already written in dialect which you could have a look at, sm?
  • Mrs Bear's comments regarding the apostrophes are spot on. I didn't struggle with anything in the first version other than the abbreviation of 'had' (although I think you'd use that construction if you were going to say anything like: "Of course, she'd 'ad a bad time of it 'erself lately.")

The second version sounds oddly stilted, and the clash between the formal language and the dialect doesn't work, for me.
  • I do dialect pieces for a local quarterly newsletter and, although the subscribers are from Norfolk and it's a Norfolk dialect magazine, it's hard to put on paper. The English alphabet does not contain the same letters as the Norfolk one and sometimes the letters missed out can't be adequately explained by an apostrophe - and letters have different lengths depending on what word they appear in! I think dialect pieces work best as 'performance' pieces so turn it into a radio play or story with a view to reading aloud to an audience so that the maximum number of people can enjoy it. You've definitely captured the 'voice' and the 'authentic' version makes me want to know the rest of the story.
    Is there a dialect dictionary available for the specific area that could help with the actual spellings? I have dictionaries for Norfolk, Scouse, Scots and Cockney Rabbit but don't know as much as I'd like about Midlands accents.
    There's a site called We Love Accents, think they cover Black Country stuff but I guess Wolverhampton folk use different words to those from Brum or Coventry. Finish your story, you can always decide how best to present it later - your characterisation is strong.
  • LizLiz
    edited April 2014
    Second better. We have read several dialect books at book group - we being a well-read, very intelligent group, some of whom are authors, and we LOATHE anything that is too dialect-ful. You get the idea, it's in your head, you don't need reminders that the heroine has blue eyes, or that she lives in a house on a hill, you only need the sparing-est of reminders that she speaks without aitches.
  • By the way, it's interesting.
  • I agree with Danfango that the second version was stilted.

You need the lilt, the sound of the dialect without going to the level of your first version- which would be unreadable to many readers.

Less is more.
  • What 'They' said but especially heed Betsie's observations.

Good Luck and enjoy .....
  • Thank you all for your positive and useful comments. As always, a variety of opinions, although I'm tending to agree with those who think version 2 is a bit stilted, I'm in danger of losing the 'voice'. At the same time I understand those who had difficulty reading version 1, I understand that if you're not actually familiar with the dialect, being confronted with 'raw' colloquialisms might be off putting.

From my point of view, I have the advantage of being able to 'hear' what I'm writing, although, even though I can write in the general tone and style of the dialect, the inflections and nuances of the spoken word, can't satisfactorily be reproduced.

The piece in question is for my U3A meeting on Friday, and will be read aloud, and in that context, I think it will probably work quite well. but I think I'll call 'time' on dialect after that. It's obviously OK in small doses but I get the impression that the general reader would quickly glaze over if confronted with page after page.

Not the Next Big Thing in publishing.
  • I can only echo the comments above, Snailmale. I thought the second version was more readable than the first.
  • Um feelin' right at um in 'ere.

I'm from the Black Country. I don't speak with the dialect really, but I know it slips out sometimes. Like when I'm "gooin" out. But nothing like my granddad's use of the lingo, when he'd ask how you are: "Ow bis thee, ma mon?"
  • At the April mtg of our history society the subject is local dialects in Beds and surrounding
    counties. Local people talk about a couple of three.
  • @Tristram_Shandy. I'm actually a Brummie, from Quinton, but Mme snail is a proud Daughter of the Black Country, although, like you, her accent only retains faint traces of her chainmaking ancestry.
    As a young man I made many 'romantic' excursions in to the Black Country (long before I met Mme snail). The journey from Quinton, down Mucklow Hill in to Halesowen, was just over a mile, but 60 years ago it was like landing on another planet. Rumour was, they were still eating each other 'down the Lye'.
  • My dad came from Wolverhampton and took elocution lessons when a young man to rid himself of his accent so he would be more employable. When I knew him he had not a hint of an accent.
  • I don't think I've lost the accent (entirely), it's more the dialect - but those words like "ar" (yes), "ay" (aren't), "gooin" (going) come out. Depends on the social context as well, and that isn't really a conscious thing. My dad speaks the dialect more than he used to, I'm sure; his side of the family were more outside the Black Country. It's my mom's side that's proper BC. My granddad was even a coal minor (coincidentally my dad was a steel erector and happened to work on closing up the old mine that my granddad worked down in Brownhills).

My university did an experiment, Liz, presenting the same lecture with professors from different parts of the country. The lecture presented by the professor with the BC accent rated lowest, even though it was verbatim the same lecture.
  • There was an item on Midlands Today a couple of weeks back about the headmaster of a Black Country school who had banned the use of dialect, even outside the classroom. Within lessons, I can understand, but I think it's criminal to try and erase the things that identify who we are and where we've come from. Much of our society has already descended in to blandness and conformity.
  • That is a shame.

While I was doing my 'thing' in the library on Wednesday, 'Storytime' was going on in the kiddies' section for a group of tots (very cute). The lady who was reading to them had such a broad Lancashire accent - an accent you don't here much round these parts - and the children were fascinated. It brought a lovely flavour to the stories.
  • That's very sad, SM. It's the same here.

A couple of miles from me is a town called Knowsley. When I was a child there was a distinctive Knowsley accent - I remember my great-uncle used to pronounce my name Merk (as did a classmate at Grammar school who also lived in Knowsley). My great-uncle told me he used the park and ride to go to Everton because if you drove to the ground there was nowhere to perk the cer.

Nowadays everyone who lives in a ten-mile radius of Liverpool speaks in a scouse accent. The Knowsley accent was very pleasing to the ear and I am sad that it is no more. Despite living so close to Liverpool I don't find the scouse accent pleasant.
  • It is a shame, SM.

But I have a caveat - in t'olden days, you would not have strayed outside your area of accent. Nowadays, you do.

If you are a communicator, then you need to be able to speak to people in a way that they can understand everything you are saying. A lecture is a case in point - it would be easy to misunderstand, or get even the opposite view of what the lecturer is saying if you missed a negative or a positive qualifier.

I think if the children are taught to speak RP at school at least they have a better chance of 'getting' phonics which are the only it seems way of teaching reading at the minute (disgraceful, all children learn in different ways). They will still be able to speak in accent at home and outside school, and hopefully they are not being made to feel ashamed of their way of talking.
  • I'm a Northumbrian by birth and we have a distinctive dialect. I think the problem's not with the actual dialect itself but trying to convey the meanings of words to those outside of the region. Write it as "normal" and let the reader put the words into dialect as they go.